Vision problems 12 months on

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezza

I am coming up to 12 months post AVR surgery (second surgery) and have had issues with my vision since. I have days where I struggle with double/triple vision, that my usual glasses do not help with. I am unable to focus clearly, particularly at close range but also for far distance. It seems to be an intermittent issue, happening 3-4 days of the week, and I thought that it would settle as time has passed since the surgery. I recall having a similar issue after my first surgery, but it only lasted a few weeks, unlike this time. Last week, I decided to see the optometrist, to have my vision checked, and he gave my eyes a clean bill of health with my prescription unchanged. He believes that it is a neurological issue as a result of bypass. I haven't found much about it so I'm curious whether others have this as an ongoing issue and if anyone knows more about this. And is there something that I can be doing to correct this? The optometrist didn't believe so. I spend a lot of time in front of a screen and also stitching, which most of the time now, I just can't do, as it just makes me too tired to try to focus correctly. I have tried some magnifiers on my glasses but they aren't helping. Very frustrating! I have my 12 month check with the cardiologist in a couple of weeks' time. I'd love to hear from others who have had this issue and how that all panned out...

Hey Tezza

sorry to hear you're still struggling with things. I have from time to time what is perhaps a similar thing. It manifests that I feel unable to balance but learned quickly that if I close one eye the balance thing ceases. So I started looking in the mirror when this occured and found one eye seemed to be out of coordination with the other.

This is temporary and goes away after a short time.

I decided to go back on aspirin every 2nd day and it no longer happens (for the last year or so).

I don't know if this is or isn't closely related to your issue, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I hope your shoulder is getting better too.

Best Wishes

Hey Tezza

sorry to hear you're still struggling with things. I have from time to time what is perhaps a similar thing. It manifests that I feel unable to balance but learned quickly that if I close one eye the balance thing ceases. So I started looking in the mirror when this occured and found one eye seemed to be out of coordination with the other.

This is temporary and goes away after a short time.

I decided to go back on aspirin every 2nd day and it no longer happens (for the last year or so).

I don't know if this is or isn't closely related to your issue, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I hope your shoulder is getting better too.

Best Wishes
Hey Pellicle, thanks for your input. Not sure that it is the same thing or not....I already take aspirin so I don't think that is my answer. But great that that has worked for you.

I am going along fine otherwise...I have had an amazing recovery with my shoulder and am now back in the gym. Not quite full ROM, but very close to, so now working hard to increase the strength again. Although many months of physio helped tremendously, I think my PT is doing a great job and really helping me to advance my fitness and strength levels. Cardio fitness is better than I have had for a long time, and improving all the time...now able to do 30sec sprints on the bike on a high level, so doing really well in that way. Sternum pain has pretty much gone now...it took a while to settle. So apart from the vision thing and also a constant feeling of being punched from inside (yes, the heartbeat issue never settled, but I am mostly used to it now), I feel that I have recovered as well as I did first time round at the 12 month mark, although the road was certainly much bumpier than first time! I just wish I could get the vision sorted as it is really stopping me from doing things that I enjoy in my limited down time!

Hope you are well!

Hi @tezza - I've had vision problems since my AVR eight years ago now. Migraine auras without headache and also double vision. (you'll find several threads about visual problems on the forum, here's just two of them: Vertigo, Visual Disturbances and 'wobbly' feeling and Migraine aura anyone? Or does the cheese stand alone? ) The migraine auras last 20 mins and the double vision lasts about half a minute but is very disconcerting. Recently I have also been getting dizziness, feels like the world is spinning, again lasts half a minute or so. I've not really followed any of this up apart from briefly without success - I think it's to do with having been on bypass machine during AVR.

Hey @ Tezza, I see PaleoWoman is on the same path I'm going to descend into.

I was going to suggest a good chiropracter (and to be rutheless in ditching quacks) after my own non-surgical experiences. Give me a call if you want details (would you believe only a week ago I deleted your number from my phonebook).

I'm sure that Dr J will not have any solutions for this (but you should also ask him).

I have vision probs probably not heart related but who knows.

Eye Dr does not know what is going on but after ruling out floaters (which I have but look and behave nothing like this) and retinal probs (not 100% ruled out but does not appear to be that at this point) he thinks it is something neurological but not linked to anything in particular. This started about 2 years ago and I now have to see him every 6 months for him to examine my eye, look for retinal probs, uses various kinds of machines to look back there etc.

Affects only my left eye. Started with my noticing 3 distinct clearly in focus "things" that looked like tree branches which were always there. They went away after a few weeks but gradually became dozens/hundreds of "twigs" that if I have my eye(s) closed then open them (or the one) they fill my vision in that eye but fade away in about 2-3 seconds. They also look like veins for lack of a better description.

Also I see fuzziness on the edges of things in that eye all the time - best described as small black lines hovering around things, sticking to the edges, especially visible on objects which contrast in color or shade with what is in the background (for example a table top in front of a white colored wall).

Good news for now is that none of that actually affects my vision itself. Still seeing fine both far and near. I ignore the twigs/veins or at least have gotten used to them, not alarmed anymore everytime I blink or first wake up and see that stuff.

P.S. Like Paleowoman said above I also have migraine auras which increased in frequency like a 100x immediately after my OHS. Has tailed off over the years but still have average about 5 a month now post-op as opposed to 1 or 2 every couple years prior to surgery. I occasionally have some dizziness too but not very often, never connected that to the OHS but who knows....

Eye Dr does not know what is going on but after ruling out floaters (which I have but look and behave nothing like this) and retinal probs (not 100% ruled out but does not appear to be that at this point) he thinks it is something neurological but not linked to anything in particular. This started about 2 years ago and I now have to see him every 6 months for him to examine my eye, look for retinal probs, uses various kinds of machines to look back there etc.

Affects only my left eye. Started with my noticing 3 distinct clearly in focus "things" that looked like tree branches which were always there. They went away after a few weeks but gradually became dozens/hundreds of "twigs" that if I have my eye(s) closed then open them (or the one) they fill my vision in that eye but fade away in about 2-3 seconds. They also look like veins for lack of a better description.

Also I see fuzziness on the edges of things in that eye all the time - best described as small black lines hovering around things, sticking to the edges, especially visible on objects which contrast in color or shade with what is in the background (for example a table top in front of a white colored wall).

Good news for now is that none of that actually affects my vision itself. Still seeing fine both far and near. I ignore the twigs/veins or at least have gotten used to them, not alarmed anymore everytime I blink or first wake up and see that stuff.

P.S. Like Paleowoman said above I also have migraine auras which increased in frequency like a 100x immediately after my OHS. Has tailed off over the years but still have average about 5 a month now post-op as opposed to 1 or 2 every couple years prior to surgery. I occasionally have some dizziness too but not very often, never connected that to the OHS but who knows....
Has your eye doctor rule eye stroke, it can make the vision fuzzy. I had that several years ago and also caratacts in the left eye. The rights eye was only cararacts and surgery was last year and vision is better. But the left one is still affected by the cataracts and eye stroke. Not heart related.

Hi @tezza - I've had vision problems since my AVR eight years ago now. Migraine auras without headache and also double vision. (you'll find several threads about visual problems on the forum, here's just two of them: Vertigo, Visual Disturbances and 'wobbly' feeling and Migraine aura anyone? Or does the cheese stand alone? ) The migraine auras last 20 mins and the double vision lasts about half a minute but is very disconcerting. Recently I have also been getting dizziness, feels like the world is spinning, again lasts half a minute or so. I've not really followed any of this up apart from briefly without success - I think it's to do with having been on bypass machine during AVR.
Thanks Paleowoman. I don't have vertigo or anything like that, and I don't have migraines ... I used to up until 3 years ago, but I take a magic supplement that totally rid me of that problem, thank god! The double vision is something that will be with me for the best part of the day usually and then it seems to settle and I am fine for a few days and then it will be back again.

Hey @ Tezza, I see PaleoWoman is on the same path I'm going to descend into.

I was going to suggest a good chiropracter (and to be rutheless in ditching quacks) after my own non-surgical experiences. Give me a call if you want details (would you believe only a week ago I deleted your number from my phonebook).

I'm sure that Dr J will not have any solutions for this (but you should also ask him).
What, you deleted my number?? LOL! Chiro might be worth considering, I know a couple who I will look up. Yes, will bring it up with Dr J, but I agree with you, I'm sure he won't have any answers, just a "one of those things" kind of response! Much as I have massive respect for the man.

Thanks Slipkid, that sounds very annoying! I have had everything checked out in the eye, and everything is perfectly normal. For me, it is definitely a case of 2 images (and sometimes it seems like 3 images) overlaying one top of each other, with a slight overlap.
Definitely not migraine related...I used to suffer those up until about 3 years, when I discovered an amazing supplement that totally rid me of those, which I am very grateful for. My migraines used to be 2 or 3 day events! But not an issue now. Just this blasted double vision that annoys the heck out of me.

Much as I have massive respect for the man.
me too ... but he is a heart surgeon, not a neurologist (and I'm betting that's a good place to start).

Best Wishes

PS sorry mate you're not unfriended

1646024992784.png
... I just was in a "lens it and cleans it" mode

I was told vision problems after OHS were uncommon but possible. I was advised to not get a new prescriptions until at least 3 months past surgery. I was told this by my recovery/PT nurse (RN). My eye doctor was not aware of this potential problem, but he's young :)

Reactions: Amy
I have days where I struggle with double/triple vision,

Your symptoms are familiar to me, but there are many conditions that can cause this. Your best bet to get it diagnosed is to see an ophthalmologist (NOT an optometrist).

My double vision problem has nothing to do with OHS, but in case my experience is helpful, I'll give you a summary...

I have a congenital 4th nerve defect that causes palsy in one eye muscle. There are many variations of muscle issues that affect the eyes. The general term strabismus is used to cover the various conditions. The result is a slight to severe misalignment of the eyes. I was diagnosed when I was 30 and I had surgery that improved the situation somewhat. If it was diagnosed when I was a child and treated then, I would have been much better off. Many adults experience symptoms simply due to aging, even though they probably had the problem their entire life. Injuries can also cause eye muscle problems.

Because the most severe forms of this condition ("crossed eyes", "lazy eye", etc.) are noticed in childhood, the experts who know how to diagnose and treat any form of eye muscle problems are typically pediatric ophthalmologists. I was referred to a local pediatric eye Dr. and he diagnosed the problem in a matter of minutes.

Surgery is seldom needed for slight misalignment. Often putting appropriate degree of prism in your glasses will be sufficient.

Coincidently, I saw this article in the NYT a couple days ago. The author has a different specific condition than I do, but it's within the strabismus family of conditions. He does a good job of explaining it.

I encourage you to find an ophthalmologist who specializes in eye muscle issues. Hope this helps and you get a solution.

Ok, if no one else is going to ask, I will:
I don't have migraines ... I used to up until 3 years ago, but I take a magic supplement that totally rid me of that problem, thank god
What is the magic supplement?? lol

I used to very occasionally sort of go cross-eyed right before the surgery but not since; whenever it happened I had to close my eyes and wait it out; luckily it only lasted a couple minutes. How do you function with double vision for most of a day? Do you not also have to close your eyes? I hope that goes away soon... and I’m glad you have a good physical therapist & that your shoulder is better.

Tezza, I am almost a year out and am periodically still have a few vision challenges. I should say that like Ras I deal with issues of strabismus. I thought everyone saw double, triple or quadruple images until, in my late 20’s an ophthalmologist told me it wasn’t normal. I have hence had a prism in my glasses for years and it helps a lot. I recently had my prescription for progressives updated slightly and purchased new glasses. The problem is, sometimes they are great, and sometimes I struggle to focus. So I don’t think it is the glasses. Because it comes and goes, and mostly involves close work, I feel it’s possible surgery may play a role, but likely it’s just related to aging. Accordingly to both the ophthalmologist and the optometrist I have seen aging can cause and worsen these issues.
I would talk to an eye professional about the double vision, a prism in eye glasses may help. Best of luck.

Ok, if no one else is going to ask, I will:
What is the magic supplement?? lol

I used to very occasionally sort of go cross-eyed right before the surgery but not since; whenever it happened I had to close my eyes and wait it out; luckily it only lasted a couple minutes. How do you function with double vision for most of a day? Do you not also have to close your eyes? I hope that goes away soon... and I’m glad you have a good physical therapist & that your shoulder is better.
Hi Amy, hope your recovery has continued without incident...I know you had some issues with your incision first up. I've been a bit awol, so I haven't kept up with that!
My magic supplement is a redox supplement...works at cellular level and has totally rid me of migraines, except when I don't take it! Happy to let you know more about it if you wish...pm me.

How do I function?? Well, I'm not, very well, on the bad days...can't read anything, can't look at a computer screen (which is 99% of my work time), and just go through the day with very blurred vision. Very frustrating! Some days are worse than others, some days I am totally fine. Quite variable, but I do find that if I am tired, it is definitely worse.
Yes, my shoulder is almost totally back to 100% - very grateful for that! I am now back into gym work and almost full ROM, and getting stronger every day with that. Having to work at though, but found getting a personal trainer has helped enormously! Although the cost has not been unsubstantial, it has been worth it!
Hope you are going well x

Reactions: Amy
I was told vision problems after OHS were uncommon but possible. I was advised to not get a new prescriptions until at least 3 months past surgery. I was told this by my recovery/PT nurse (RN). My eye doctor was not aware of this potential problem, but he's young :)
Yes, I have read that also, and waited until nearly 12 months post surgery for a check on the prescription as I had also read that it can take a while to settle

Your symptoms are familiar to me, but there are many conditions that can cause this. Your best bet to get it diagnosed is to see an ophthalmologist (NOT an optometrist).

My double vision problem has nothing to do with OHS, but in case my experience is helpful, I'll give you a summary...

I have a congenital 4th nerve defect that causes palsy in one eye muscle. There are many variations of muscle issues that affect the eyes. The general term strabismus is used to cover the various conditions. The result is a slight to severe misalignment of the eyes. I was diagnosed when I was 30 and I had surgery that improved the situation somewhat. If it was diagnosed when I was a child and treated then, I would have been much better off. Many adults experience symptoms simply due to aging, even though they probably had the problem their entire life. Injuries can also cause eye muscle problems.

Because the most severe forms of this condition ("crossed eyes", "lazy eye", etc.) are noticed in childhood, the experts who know how to diagnose and treat any form of eye muscle problems are typically pediatric ophthalmologists. I was referred to a local pediatric eye Dr. and he diagnosed the problem in a matter of minutes.

Surgery is seldom needed for slight misalignment. Often putting appropriate degree of prism in your glasses will be sufficient.

Coincidently, I saw this article in the NYT a couple days ago. The author has a different specific condition than I do, but it's within the strabismus family of conditions. He does a good job of explaining it.

I encourage you to find an ophthalmologist who specializes in eye muscle issues. Hope this helps and you get a solution.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I have discussed with my cardiologist this week at my 12 month checkup. Good news is...everything is perfect with the heart, with I already was pretty sure of anyway! He has recommended a stronger anticoagulant for a month as a trial (I have been on 100mg Aspirin - biological valve) to see if that helps - his anecdotal evidence is that this has been helpful in some others who have complained of same thing. Failing that, at the end of the month, then he will refer to an opthalmologist. I'm 3 days in to the stronger anticoagulant, and no real change noted yet, so we will see what comes at the end of the month.

seconded (although are now rare for me)
Happy to send you some info, or chat about it. Thanks for your message...been flat out moving so I haven't had a chance to respond. Next week should be a bit saner, so I will message back then. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, appreciate it.

Back