Vision problems 12 months on

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an ophthalmologist there is no reason that heart surgery should change someone's refraction. Some drugs may alter focusing while they are being used but this is infrequent and usually temporary. So there is no need to wait a long period of time to get a refraction. If someone is a diabetic and their blood sugars go wild around the time of surgery this might temporarily have an effect on a refraction but this should go away when the sugars are normalized. The brain issues that some people notice after bypass may cause some ill defined visual issues along with the other fuzzy effects. Hopefully these will resolve with time. Generally they probably are more of a cognitive issue with the brain than a change in the eyes themselves. I can't see how changing anticoagulation would in any way have an affect on vision.

As an ophthalmologist there is no reason that heart surgery should change someone's refraction. Some drugs may alter focusing while they are being used but this is infrequent and usually temporary. So there is no need to wait a long period of time to get a refraction. If someone is a diabetic and their blood sugars go wild around the time of surgery this might temporarily have an effect on a refraction but this should go away when the sugars are normalized. The brain issues that some people notice after bypass may cause some ill defined visual issues along with the other fuzzy effects. Hopefully these will resolve with time. Generally they probably are more of a cognitive issue with the brain than a change in the eyes themselves. I can't see how changing anticoagulation would in any way have an affect on vision.
I have no idea either, but will follow his advice and see where it takes me. So far, no one seems to have answers or solutions, so I am learning to live with it, but it is pretty frustrating and not what I saw in my future. Next stop will be an opthalmologist, so I will keep you posted as to how things transpire. Thanks for you input, much appreciated.

Bypass never changed mine. only a blood clot that went up to the left eye and left me with blurred vision in the eye and slowed the cataracts. Got the other eye taken care of the cataracts. And the only thing that affected my eye vision is being diabetic and the if my BG is up, it does affect my eyesight. But not from the bypass surgery.

As an ophthalmologist there is no reason that heart surgery should change someone's refraction.

fully agree ... but most people don't think about the anatomy of the eye they just think about how they perceive vision. Now what (as you go on to mention) may well be at work is the operation of the muscles.

Some drugs may alter focusing while they are being used but this is infrequent and usually temporary.

which focus the lens. What I've read (some time ago actually and I've forgotten the source) is that two things are at work here.
  1. the lens hardens over time and its ability to deform lessens
  2. as the lens looses its ability to deform it places greater strain on the muscles attempting to pull it into shape
What I see here is that if something triggers a situation where the muscles don't keep straining and thus strength training they may take a time to get back to that strength. Indeed we know that as we age muscles are indeed harder to "rebuild" after a period of enforced rest (either by injury or illness).

I did a lot of reading when I was recovering from my surgery not least about my eyes because I found it a lot harder to read my computer screen when I got back to it. I began then using glasses at my work, +1.5 diopters, and found that worked for a while, but then I found this was eventually also resulting in eye strain and went up gradually (over a few years) to +1.75

I'm sure that you'll now be nodding and saying, well yes, but this is a very common progression of presbyopia statistically speaking, and at your age that's likely. I don't disagree, but this may well have been exacerbated by the surgery and the down time and the complete relaxation of those muscles for a much longer period. It could also have resulted in the Crystalline lens deforming (or re-conforming) to a relaxed state (after some consecutive days of not being under pressure) which required even more effort to reform it.

This (also from my readings) is as I understand it the explanation often given for why we see (based on the dissection and examination of many eyes over the years) a build up in muscle size to around middle age and then a steady decline in the muscle size after that (and the adoption of eyeglasses is often fingered in that cycle from what I've read).

Of what I've read R.A. Weale is the only document I kept (other readings were likely from books because where I worked in IT for some time just happened to be at a University Library) and may indeed be considered flawed now.

So what I'm saying is that we anticipate a decline, but when its a smooth line we frequently don't notice it. However when there is a noticeable decline attributable to an event we tend to focus our attention on that. I often say that decline is best modelled by a reduced scaling function on a sawtooth pattern. It may go up or down but overall the line of best fit is a decline (not unlike this simplification).
1647206493282.png

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back