Very scary stuff for some members

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now now, lets not have a Health Care Reform thread getting started. Obviously this has nothing to do with anything. Close your eyes and pretend it's all a bad dream.

Welcome to the new world.

It's only one clinic in an area populated with a much higher percentage of retired people. My guess is they process way more Medicare claims than most providers. My SIL works for a surgery center that stopped taking a particular insurance because of the low payout. This was a few years ago and didn't have anything to do with current legislation. It happens.

This is not as dire as it sounds...

This is not as dire as it sounds...

Rich, thank you for posting this. The article examines changes at the one of four Mayo Clinic's operations in Arizona. (North West Glendale) And, this is not new. We heard about it in the beginning of last year. The operation in question is a primary care clinic facility practicing family medicine.

THe Mayo Clinic Hospital and the Mayo Clinic "Clinic," both is Scottsdale AZ, I am told, do not plan any major changes. NEITHER of these locations have accepted Medicare for quite a while.

But, there is a difference. These are gigantic research and development centeres. Doctors at these locations handle the very difficult cases. These facilities have not accepted Medicare in a very long time. But, what they will do is to bill Medicare and Supplementals directly to Medicare for the patient's benefit. Medicare then figures out what they will pay and then sends the check to the patient. If you have a secondary, they send their portion to the patient. What's left is the patient's responsibility. It's a bit more complicated, but I hope you get the idea. I am told that Mayo Clinic(You know, the R&D ones) in Arizona stopped taking Medicare assignment about 6-8 years ago.)

In 2005, when I had my ovaries removed, Mayo Clinic was not accepting Medicare assignment, but they would send the materials to Medicare for payment. (Who was in the oval office in 2005?)

I don't see this as some sort of a new policy.

Kind regards,

Blanche

When we lived in Roanoke, we had doctors who operated as Blanche explained: They didn't accept Medicare directly -- we had to pay for office visits upfront -- but they did the paperwork with Medicare, and Medicare sent us a reimbursement check in a few weeks. Was a bit round-about, but worked reasonably well.

I agree with Blanche. Some providers do not accept Medicare "Assignment" (this means they do not accept the Medicare allowances) which allows them to charge more (I think they are allowed to charge up to 15% above medicare allowance...but since its been a long time since I experienced this...I'm really not sure). The first time I ran into this was with my mothers "end of life" expenses in the early 1980s. Based on that experience I learned quickly to ask up front if a doc or hosp or lab accepts "assignment". Seldom has any professional I've asked refuse "assignment". Personaly, if a doc doesn't accept assignment, I cross him off my list.

There are some Medicare Supplement plans that offer a rider to cover these excess charges above the Medicare allowances.

Medicare...

Medicare...

Thanks to all you good folks for your expertise in dealing with Medicare as I'm a rather newbie in this area and learning the different avenues.

Nothing speaks like Blanche's first-hand knowledge of the Mayo Clinic and her experiences.

Nothing speaks like Dick's experience with his Mother and her Medicare.

Nothing speaks like Superbob and his direct experience with doctors who didn't accept Medicare and how that worked for him.

Nothing speaks like mainframe and his SIL and their experience in working with Medicare.

So, if anybody wants to come here and badmouth Medicare, us oldies will beat you on the noggin with our canes..:D

Fear ~~ it's about fear of the unknown. Who is that on here who quotes FDR ~~ “Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself"

My only experience with Medicare is with my wife and my mother. My mother is out a lot of money for prescriptions every year and it is getting harder for her to afford it. Cindy hasn't had major problems yet (except for Medicare taking forever to pay their part of Cindy's chiropractic care), but she doesn't take enough meds to cause her a problem. I personally wish that it wasn't a requirement to go on Medicare when you grow up enough to be eligible.

My only experience with Medicare is with my wife and my mother. My mother is out a lot of money for prescriptions every year and it is getting harder for her to afford it. Cindy hasn't had major problems yet (except for Medicare taking forever to pay their part of Cindy's chiropractic care), but she doesn't take enough meds to cause her a problem. I personally wish that it wasn't a requirement to go on Medicare when you grow up enough to be eligible.

Wise - can you tell me how the Medicare part D works? Is there a premium for it or is it included with your parts A&B premium? I wasn't aware that Medicare pays for chiropractic care..! Also, I don't think it's a "requirement" that you sign up for Medicare and I think you can keep your private insurance as long as you want to. From what I understand, Medicare is an option when you "grow up enough to be eligible"..;)

Janie, I'm no expert to be sure, but I think when you turn 65 you qualify for Medicare. If you don't sign up for it, and start paying monthly premiums, it is my understanding that you are penalized if you sign up for it later. I'm not quite old enough yet, but my partner is. He did not sign up for it yet because he still has coverage from his employer. However, when that coverage ceases he will have to sign up for Medicare right away or he will be penalized.

Jim

Thanks to all you good folks for your expertise in dealing with Medicare as I'm a rather newbie in this area and learning the different avenues.

Nothing speaks like Blanche's first-hand knowledge of the Mayo Clinic and her experiences.

Nothing speaks like Dick's experience with his Mother and her Medicare.

Nothing speaks like Superbob and his direct experience with doctors who didn't accept Medicare and how that worked for him.

Nothing speaks like mainframe and his SIL and their experience in working with Medicare.

So, if anybody wants to come here and badmouth Medicare, us oldies will beat you on the noggin with our canes..:D

Fear ~~ it's about fear of the unknown. Who is that on here who quotes FDR ~~ “Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself"

"I resemble that remark amiga!!!' :D :D

Janie, I'm no expert to be sure, but I think when you turn 65 you qualify for Medicare. If you don't sign up for it, and start paying monthly premiums, it is my understanding that you are penalized if you sign up for it later. I'm not quite old enough yet, but my partner is. He did not sign up for it yet because he still has coverage from his employer. However, when that coverage ceases he will have to sign up for Medicare right away or he will be penalized.

Jim

And in my case Jim, since I receive disability benefits, after two years of receiving benefits, regardless of your age, you will receive a notice that you are eligible for Medicare. Since I have BCBS of NM, anything that medicare does not cover, will be picked up by my private insurance providing I've met the deductible.

Latest posts

Back