Very prone to back pain 3.5 years later. Anyone else?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcw16

My back has been my weak link. If I get tired from exercising or gardening or just standing for a long time, it's my back that aches first. i do a lot of back strengthening exercises but it remains my wink link. I wonder if it has to do with the pressures on the spine when they retract your ribcage in the OR. Maybe arthritis developed as a result of that stress. I'm 67.

My back has been my weak link. If I get tired from exercising or gardening or just standing for a long time, it's my back that aches first. i do a lot of back strengthening exercises but it remains my wink link. I wonder if it has to do with the pressures on the spine when they retract your ribcage in the OR. Maybe arthritis developed as a result of that stress. I'm 67.
Being very tall I’ve had a lot of problem with back pain over my life. These exercises from the one of the world’s most highly regarded lower back authorities help me a lot and might help if you’re not already doing them:

http://www.ahs.uwaterloo.ca/~mcgill/fitnessleadersguide.pdf
If you need further instruction on how to do these then just search google (videos) using “McGill Big 3”.

Another very critical thing is learning to hip hinge whenever bending over. A search on “hip hinge” will throw up a huge amount of information.

Thanks. I've actually never had low back issues. This is between my shoulder blades along the spine, where the ribs attach in the back. I've been working on strengthening the surrounding muscles.

I get the same upper back aching with fatigue. I really don't know if the cause is musculoskeletal at all (and I spent 35 years as a musculoskeletal physical therapist). It always seems much more related to fatigue than any postural or ergonomic factors. It is my early warning that I am getting tired. I do have occasional low back pain; the upper back aching does not correspond to the "normal" triggers of my lbp at all. Hadn't thought about residual effects from ohs; might be a possibility. I'm 60, by the way.

standing for a long time, it's my back that aches first. i do a lot of back strengthening exercises but it remains my wink link. I wonder if it has to do with the pressures on the spine when they retract your ribcage in the OR. Maybe arthritis developed as a result of that stress. I'm 67.

just wondering if you have tried chiropractic? Its very dependent on the practitioner (skills) and on what exactly may be the issue with you.

It also helps me ease migraines. I found it helpful in the recovery process the last two times.

Age will be a factor, but given you say you do regular exersizes (unless there's a technique issue there) I'd not say its the key.

Have you seen a sport physiotherapist?

I get the same upper back aching with fatigue. I really don't know if the cause is musculoskeletal at all (and I spent 35 years as a musculoskeletal physical therapist). It always seems much more related to fatigue than any postural or ergonomic factors. It is my early warning that I am getting tired. I do have occasional low back pain; the upper back aching does not correspond to the "normal" triggers of my lbp at all. Hadn't thought about residual effects from ohs; might be a possibility. I'm 60, by the way.
Yes! That's when I get it. My first fatigue symptom. Thanks for your insights. Thanks Gerrychuck.

Latest posts

Back