Very Moving Phone Call

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

On Monday, the day after my story landed in the newspaper, I got a call from the reporter who interviewed me. A lady named Mary Phelps had called the paper, and wanted me to call her back if I would.

That evening I called her, and she told me about her husband whom had aortic valve surgery in the late 1960s. He had 4 open heart surgeries in a 22 month period, but lost the battle on the final surgery. The first valve she keeps in a chest of memories. She described the valve as a ball valve that would open and shut. His heart was so calcified around the valve that it just would not fit, the technology was new and not close to what it is today. He insisted that if he died they would open him up, so that those whom would come after him could benefit from his illness. My article came out on Thanksgiving weekend, and she became very choked up as she remembered that that was the weekend he came home from the hospital, and if I remember right, she said, for around 4 months before the next surgery. She said is was such a beautiful memory. I thanked her for her husband, and those that have gone before us, whom have allowed us to enjoy the lifestyles we now take part in. I just thought I would share this. I was truly moved.

You never know who's life your going to touch just by being at a certain place at a certain moment, saying a certain thing at a certain moment, etc,.

It is all very humbling.

We had a similar discussion with my mother-in-law last weekend. Her husband died of a stroke in 1975 and she was noting that with today's health care technology he would very likely have survived. A lot of the things that killed our predecessors are now quite treatable, especially valve defects.

I can recall talking to the surgeon prior to my AVR in 1991 about the mortality rate of the procedure. He told me that people like that woman's husband back in the early days were only given a valve procedure if they were already in immanent danger of death, weeks or months from total failure. By the time they got it, the damage to their hearts was already considerable. By the time I got it, he talked about AVR like it was almost trivial.

He told me I could wait for a few years but would have to reduce my activity or go for it then and return to normal activity levels. (He had no idea what I consider "normal", then again maybe he did.) I chose to go for it ASAP. No regrets, but many thanks to those who went before.

At this time of year when we focus on Thanksgiving and Blessings, it is so true,
so thankful to those who have been there before and for those that continue to
research to improve our quality of life.

We had a similar discussion with my mother-in-law last weekend. Her husband died of a stroke in 1975 and she was noting that with today's health care technology he would very likely have survived. A lot of the things that killed our predecessors are now quite treatable, especially valve defects.

I can recall talking to the surgeon prior to my AVR in 1991 about the mortality rate of the procedure. He told me that people like that woman's husband back in the early days were only given a valve procedure if they were already in immanent danger of death, weeks or months from total failure. By the time they got it, the damage to their hearts was already considerable. By the time I got it, he talked about AVR like it was almost trivial.

He told me I could wait for a few years but would have to reduce my activity or go for it then and return to normal activity levels. (He had no idea what I consider "normal", then again maybe he did.) I chose to go for it ASAP. No regrets, but many thanks to those who went before.

So true. My surgeon basically gave me 5 months to have the surgery, for my heart was in the beginning stages of enlargement, and he was concerned about fitting a valve in. I remember him telling me that 30 years ago (now almost 40) I just would have died an early death. I am glad I came along when I did!

Thanks for sharing.

Two great stories -- the one about you and now this one. Very touching.

:) Marguerite

Progress

Progress

My bad aortic valve was diagnosed back in the late sixties. Thankfully, it didn't present any problems during high school or college. In 1980, a cardiologist told me I needed to have the valve replace immediately or I wouldn't live till I was thirty (I was twenty-five). At the time of this meeting, I wasn't too thrilled about the valve replacement technology that he described; I left the hospital and refused to see another cardiologist for twenty-seven years. Thank god, advancements in valve design were made while was ignoring my problem.

-Philip

Back