vegetarians on coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

srwieland

Hi all!

I am a long-time vegetarian and am scheduled for a redo aortic valve replacement on 5/29 for which I am planning to choose an ON-X mechanical valve.

Are any of you vegetarians on Coumadin or do you know of anyone who is?

I would like to know how other vegetarians have fared on Coumadin and any tips you/they may have.

Also, if any of you non-vegetarians nonetheless know where there is more specific information about vegetarian experiences on Coumadin, could you please share that with me?

Thanks!

Steve:

Ditto on what Oaktree said.
Just eat your normal diet, and your warfarin dosage will be adjusted to accommodate your normal eating habits. If you eat a lot of soy-based meat replacement products, you may need more warfarin than someone else. But that's OK.
I eat a lot of green stuff -- had a broccoli stir fry last night and then had an omelet with broccoli & mushrooms for breakfast today at Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. Had salad & spinach pie at a diner in Philadelphia for lunch today.

If you get any medical professionals who seem to think you need to limit your dietary choices, tell 'em to get real and get re-educated.

Dosage Adjusting

Dosage Adjusting

Oaktree and Cat have pretty much given you the short story on doing the vegie thing and coumadin. They've given good advice...eat what you want and adjust your coumadin dosage to keep you within your zone.

While I'm a meateater, I eat a large spinach salad every night and drink a couple of soy-based diet drinks every day. Keeping in my zone isn't too difficult.

In addition to adjusting your dosage to your diet, you may notice that some adjustment is needed if you engage in a long-term fitness program. Your metabolic rate has an impact on your INR. Exercise typically speeds up metabolic rate.

-Philip

Just make sure if you have a lot of soy in your diet, that you are regular with it. Like Phillip B. If he were to stop his soy drinks and spinach salad for a few days his INR would go high.

My diet is mostly vegetarian, except for seafood on occasion. From my experience, you should not worry about soy products. I have soy milk in my cereal every morning, but every once in a while I'll skip it for a couple of days. Really isn't a problem b/c I also eat tofu on a regular basis, and ground soy or boca burgers on occasion. Just stay consistent with your diet, which doesn't mean eat the same thing every day. Mine is high in viatmin K and I just eat how I always did and haven't had any problems due to diet.

Steve, I was veggie for 15 years. A wild weekend in Barcelona celebrating my 50th birthday, led to a lapse in a tapas bar. Now a full on carnivore again.:eek: :eek:

Point is my veggie years coincided with my mech valve and warfarin (Coumadin) years. You have absolutely no issues at all to worry about in my experience.

TBH the biggest medical veggie problem was getting anything decent to eat in hospital. One memorable day the vegetarian choice was salmon fishcakes. :eek: Salmon a vegetable, hmmmm. :D :D

Reassured

Reassured

Thank you all! The group on this site is always so helpful, informative, and reassuring. Just like seven years ago during my first go around.

I'm sure I'll need more of your help after this surgery.

Bonzo Dog: You're right about the hospital food! It is always such a trip. It reminds me of that movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where the guy (I think it was the groom?) told the Greek father-in-law(?) to be that he was a vegetarian, and the Greek father-in-law responded:

No Problem, I give you lamb!!!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back