Vegetarian Paella

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Supporting Member
Here's a very good recipe using alot of summer vegetables. I had never bought saffron before, and I was shocked at the price, but the small amount I purchased has made about 8 different batches.

Adapted from the recipezaar.com website, this recipe omits the usual chicken, sausage and fish.

1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 pinch saffron
1 medium eggplant
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
8 ounches Arborio rice
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 (19-ounce) can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup green beans
1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Pour 3 tablespoons water over saffron and set aside.
Cut eggplant into large chunks, sprinkle with salt, and stand in a colander for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
Chop onion, crush garlic and chop peppers and saute in oil along with the eggplant for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika and toss. Stir in rice, then stock, tomatoes, saffron and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently. Slice mushrooms, cut green beans into segments, and fold into paella along with the chickpeas. Cook 15 minutes longer and serve.

Looks like a keeper! I wish I had had this last year......had loads of eggplants! I'd probably throw in some chopped up zucchini too!

Question: I'm not sure I know what Arborio rice is??

Looks like a keeper! I wish I had had this last year......had loads of eggplants! I'd probably throw in some chopped up zucchini too!

Question: I'm not sure I know what Arborio rice is??

I didn't know what it was either, Norma, but they had it at Wal-Mart. It cooks up into a "bigger" rice . . . reminded me sort of like pasta. (Like my grammar?):biggrin2:

I didn't know what it was either, Norma, but they had it at Wal-Mart. It cooks up into a "bigger" rice . . . reminded me sort of like pasta. (Like my grammar?):biggrin2:

Orzo, is a small pasta that has a similar shape to rice, but puffs up a bit more. It's also cooked like pasta, in more water than it will absorb and drained, not like rice which is cooked in the amount of water it needs to absorb, and not drained.

Aborio rice is a short-grain rice from Italy that has more starch than regular rice and is used to make risotto. Don't substitute aborio rice for a recipe calling for regular rice and don't try to make risotto without aborio rice. It's that right tool for the right job kind of thing. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back