Valve replacement timing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignlRun

I have a BAV and ascending aneurysm. The valve is 1 cm2 with mean gradient of 52mm hg and the aneurysm is 4.8cm. I am for the most part asymptomatic; a little shortness of breath when I start running but it goes away after I warm up.

I was referred by cardiologist to "begin discussing" surgery. Once at the surgeons office I was advised by the surgeon to have surgery in 6-8 weeks; a bit sooner that I was expecting.

I am in the process of getting 2nd opinions but was curious as to how the timing went for other folks with similar issues.

Thanks!

In my opinion, your there now. The magic number is 5.0, but BAV's sometimes rupture before that because of tissue weakness.

Welcome to the zoo....I don't know about ascending aneurysms but I just wanted to welcome you aboard...there are a lot of folks here that will give you good information.

My son dissected before we knew what was wrong with him. You will need surgery so IMHO you might as well get it done before you become symptomatic and risk damaging your heart.

I know it is scary, but read the stickys on this forum and educate yourself well and it will become a little less frightening.

Good luck and let us know when your surgery is.

Did your surgeon state what specifically concerned him/her to the point that your surgery needs to be this soon?

It is my personal opinion, based on my experience and experiences I've read on this site, that an excellent and experienced and highly recommended heart surgeon isn't likely to recommend valve replacement surgery unless it's necessary.

When they did my last angiogram, they said I needed surgery right away and my surgery was less than two weeks later. Any length of time like that is practically a luxury compared to some of the emergencies experienced by other members here. Emergency OHS is not something you want to experience.

Hope all goes well for you. Take care and post again.

He was concerned about dissection. My cardio, however, seemed to think I was ok until 5cm.. He thought my stenosis would be an issue first.

I was at 4.8 when told I needed surgery. It was not a rush, and I put it off by several months. After 4 mos. of pretending it would go away I was essentially told that I was playing with my life and to get it done.

I'll be blunt here....

So you have a BAV with an aneurysm approaching 5.0 (an artifically set guideline), you have stenosis, your surgeon is worried about dissection & your cardio is worried about the stenosis...

And you're wanting to delay why?

I know facing OHS is a scary thought & the suddeness of the knowledge of all of this is quite a shock - often referred as a kick in the stomach.

That being said, the risks you take by waiting are serious. I was in almost exactly your situation (although no stenosis, had BAV, aneurysm & major regurg). When I asked my surgeon whenn I should have this done he said - "2 years ago". I responded - "how fast can I have this done? How's tomorrow look for you?" :D

So in my view, I wouldn't want to be waiting a long time for surgery. Aneurysms are not be taken lightly. The sooner you get in & have this done - the better. You'll start feeling better & remove those risks.

I am planning surgery in the next few weeks.. just wanting to get input from those with experience. I have had both feelings of panic (want it done now!)and second thoughts of "am I rushing into this?".

Welcome ....

I had a 4.8cm "annie" that my surgeon said "looked the same as a 5cm one" when he got in there...its a teeny tiny ammount and no way of telling without waiting for ages if it is growing, going to burst or is stable!?...I didnt want to risk it as my Dad died at 38 from the same thing...I had the OHS and can now rest easy.

Sure, give yourself some time to digest the huge news you have been given but dont stop moving forward with the plans to fix this while its still an option...Emergency situations turn the stats around from 95%+ survival to around 5% survival...and ask Ross, you dont want to go there.

Ross neglected to tell you "the Rest of His Story".

HIS aneurism Disected at 4.8 cm.

He was rushed to his local hospital where they were trying to figure out the nature of his problem.

A Cardiologist came by, suspected an aneurism problem, ordered the proper test and confirmed the disection.

He was Med-Flighted to the Cleveland Clinic (#1 Heart Hospital) where he underwent EMERGENCY SURGERY.

I don't remember the details of his recovery,
But I do know, YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE!

Ross was lucky. Over 90% of patients with a Disected Aortic Aneurism DO NOT SURVIVE. (Remember John Ritter?)

A Planned Surgery, without Major Complications or Damage is MUCH Safer and Has Better Outcomes.

By the way, did you ask your Surgeon how much experience he has repairing Aortic Aneurisms?
Surgery to repair / replace the Aortic Arch is not for the inexperienced.

Did anyone order a CT Scan or MRI of your ENTIRE Aorta?
(Echocardiograms do NOT visualize the entire aorta from my understanding of the issue)

Sorry for being so blunt.

'AL Capshaw'

My advice is to find the very best thoracic surgeon available for this procedure...period.
All my best,
MrP

If your anuerysm is at 4.8cm it needs to be repaired immediately When my anuerysm was discovered it was 4.5cm. and I was told that if it reached 5cm. it could start dissecting. If that happens you are in big trouble !
Lettitia

Welcome to this great site.
It looks like it's a good time for getting it fixed...just remember that the surgery is life saving, not life threatening. Research and arm yourself with knowledge so that you can make the best decisions for you.
All the very best!

Yolanda

Welcome! In my opinion, the sooner the better to get it done. The way my doctor explained it to me, and my aneurysm was about the same size, if I were all prepped and ready to go to surgery AND the aneurysm ruptured, I would never make it to the OR. So, why take unnecessary chances. More than likely, you could wait until after 5cm, but why take that risk.

Ross neglected to tell you "the Rest of His Story".

HIS aneurism Disected at 4.8 cm.

He was rushed to his local hospital where they were trying to figure out the nature of his problem.

A Cardiologist came by, suspected an aneurism problem, ordered the proper test and confirmed the disection.

He was Med-Flighted to the Cleveland Clinic (#1 Heart Hospital) where he underwent EMERGENCY SURGERY.

I don't remember the details of his recovery,
But I do know, YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE!

Ross was lucky. Over 90% of patients with a Disected Aortic Aneurism DO NOT SURVIVE. (Remember John Ritter?)

A Planned Surgery, without Major Complications or Damage is MUCH Safer and Has Better Outcomes.

By the way, did you ask your Surgeon how much experience he has repairing Aortic Aneurisms?
Surgery to repair / replace the Aortic Arch is not for the inexperienced.

Did anyone order a CT Scan or MRI of your ENTIRE Aorta?
(Echocardiograms do NOT visualize the entire aorta from my understanding of the issue)

Sorry for being so blunt.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks for your input. A bit more history about me. I have know about the BAV for about 20 years. In May of 2006 I was about to compete in an Iron Man Triathlon competion in Couer d'Alene Idaho and thought it may be a good time to see how the BAV was doing. I have a friend that is a cardio so I asked him for eval. He ordered echo and said "yep you have BAV and moderate stenosis but I would not restrict your activity at all. Lets follow again in 1 year to see if/how fast it is changing?" In May of 07 I got another echo.. not much change in valve but the tech did get better image of aorta and it looked dilated. Cardio ordered CT and determined dilation of 4.7cm. He said we will get another in 6 months to see if/rate of change. Oct of 07 CT showed still at 4.7 cm. Next step was echo again in six months to check the valve. April 08 echo show valve narrowed to 1 cm2 with 52 mmHg mean gradient. That's when I was sent for another CT and sent to CV surgeon. Most recent CT shows 4.8 cm. My biggest issue now is deciding on valve type. I am leaning toward ON-X but the CV Surgeon I was referred to prefers tissue and won't use it. While I am sure the surgery is "no big deal" for him.. I'd just as soon have a shot at doing it once and moving on. I am investigating docs in Atlanta, Birmingham and Nashville. I do understand that aneurysm repair is more complex (my training partner for triathlons is CRNA and has done those cases - he is not about to let me go to someone without lots of experience with DHCA-Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest).

Again - thanks for input from everyone.

Back