Valve Replacement Survey - $50 Amazon gift card!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious, how would an organization access prospective clients faced with the mech vs. bio valve decision? No information was presented to me and I wasn't directed to any place offering information aside from a very brief pro / con summary by the cardiologist. The surgeon did not offer any information pertaining to the decision stage. He only spoke of how he approached surgeries in general. If such a thing, conspirators would be better off offering cardiologists the vocabulary and concepts to promote a bias to patients. My cardiologist didn't offer advice. Instead he presented the brief overview. I would have liked advice. There was nothing which took into consideration my specific situation. Exposure to this forum (post surgery) informed me of misinformation. My cardiologist was not at the top of his game and I have doubts he was giving enough attention to current research. When I told him I was choosing a bio valve he expressed regret that I would be cursing him when I was needing the bio replaced. He could have influenced me but only showed he cared when it involved him. What incentive is there for the cardiologist to promote either type of valve? Seems like the way to keep your conscience free is to look out for the patient.

Last edited:
I’ve been miserably ticking away for over 32 years and now I don’t even qualify for a dumb gift card.

Thanks, Chuck, for the insight. Looks like a lot of, “Have you stopped beating your wife?”, questions.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the discussion and participation. If anyone who completed the survey has not yet received their gift card, could you please private message me your email address so I can confirm and send to this account today?

Sorry for the trouble, I appreciate all your input.

John

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the discussion and participation. If anyone who completed the survey has not yet received their gift card, could you please private message me your email address so I can confirm and send to this account today?

Sorry for the trouble, I appreciate all your input.

John

Curious, how would an organization access prospective clients faced with the mech vs. bio valve decision? No information was presented to me and I wasn't directed to any place offering information aside from a very brief pro / con summary by the cardiologist. The surgeon did not offer any information pertaining to the decision stage. He only spoke of how he approached surgeries in general. If such a thing, conspirators would be better off offering cardiologists the vocabulary and concepts to promote a bias to patients. My cardiologist didn't offer advice. Instead he presented the brief overview. I would have liked advice. There was nothing which took into consideration my specific situation. Exposure to this forum (post surgery) informed me of misinformation. My cardiologist was not at the top of his game and I have doubts he was giving enough attention to current research. When I told him I was choosing a bio valve he expressed regret that I would be cursing him when I was needing the bio replaced. He could have influenced me but only showed he cared when it involved him. What incentive is there for the cardiologist to promote either type of valve? Seems like the way to keep your conscience free is to look out for the patient.
There are at least two proven tactics that medical device companies and pharmaceuticals use, which have proven very effective, in marketing their products:

1) direct to the patients, and
2)direct to the medical professionals.

Direct to patients is often done via advertising on television and other social media. Think about who buys ad space on valve forums. They also use infomercial type videos that a patient is likely to come across if they do their own due diligence online. Some of these infomercials may not be so obvious that this is what they really are. The good ones make you feel like they are just trying to educate you about your "choices".

Marketing to physicians can be done via the use of databases for direct marketing, which they purchase. It is also done through presentations given at gatherings of medical professionals. I'm not saying this is all bad. After all, they need to let folks know about their new and exciting products. But, be clear that there is a big difference between the research arm of a company and the marketing arm and know that there is a lot of "Our product is superior to our competition" that is going on behind the scenes.

There are companies whose entire business model is selling databases of doctors, other medical professionals and potential patients to the medical device and pharmaceutical industry, for marketing purposes. It's just reality.

Check out the link below and you'll see what I'm talkng about.

From the front page of their website:

"Reach your ideal audience with Medical Marketing Lists
  • Physicians Database
  • Lists of Registered Nurses
  • Doctor Email Addresses
  • Healthcare Databases
  • Doctor & Dentist Email Addresses
  • Medical Professional Mailing Lists"

https://www.dataaxleusa.com/lp/medi...LdjFmeNzn6RdtxsUXVfVWaMfQdHbSWBIaAuFFEALw_wcB

Curious, how would an organization access prospective clients faced with the mech vs. bio valve decision? No information was presented to me and I wasn't directed to any place offering information aside from a very brief pro / con summary by the cardiologist. T......................influenced me but only showed he cared when it involved him. What incentive is there for the cardiologist to promote either type of valve? Seems like the way to keep your conscience free is to look out for the patient.
So that is the crux of the matter - the never ending debate on whether one should choose bio or mechanical. Unfortunately it's "buyer beware" on a major scale. All I can say is that somehow over the years bio valves have taken market share based on hope, conjecture, and great marketing campaigns. People in their 30's & 40's somehow talk themselves into a bio valve knowing full well the probable outcome, however people are free to steer their health care as they see fit.

Until the holy-grail of heart valves comes along, the above scenario will continue.
I guess most drs say "I recommend this but if that's what you want - OK".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the drs are very good at doing surgery and plumbing things but they know very little about the heart valve prothesis themselves.

Hi Everyone, thank you for the response so far! We have a few more spots if anyone would like to participate. (Sorry if you were blocked out yesterday, there was a hiccup that has been fixed.)

Please message me if you have any issues logging in.

Thanks!
John
I WOULD BE INTERESTED. HAD AORTIC ROOT ANEURYSM REPAIRED WITH DACRON GRAVT + BOVINE AORTIC VALVE IN 2005. I DONT KNOW HOW TO SIGN UP. I AM 69 YEARS OLD.

Latest posts

Back