Valve Replacement surgery - How?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poyda

This is more of a curiosity killer

How to they actually get "inside" the heart to to replace the valve? I know they cut through the sternum and spread your ribs cage open to actually get to the heart but how do they actually get "inside" to cut away the old valve and Stich in the new one? MVR done by the way.

My understanding is that it’s truly an “open heart” surgery vs an open chest surgery. They have to stop the heart and cut into it. I believe there are videos floating around the inter webs if you wanted to watch. Never done one myself, so O can’t speak to any specifics.

Actually, I was told the approach it from the Aorta. They work from this downwards. That is, they go in from above the valve. There's not cutting of heart muscle, just the annulus.

I believe that with mitral valve replacement they have to cut into the left atrium of the heart, here's what it says on wikipedia about it: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitral_valve_replacement#Procedure With aortic valve replaceent they approach it from the aorta and cut the annulus, so mitral valve replacement is, in a sense, more open heart surgery. They can still do mitral valve replacement with minimally invasive incision, but honestly, minimally invasive incision, if it's via the sternum and a mini sternotomy, is just a smaller sternal incision. Whatever way, these procedures are all done by stopping the heart and putting the patient on the heart lung machine.

We are all different, but I am not sure it is good to be thinking about this sort of issue. We know the surgery is very invasive, but for me I do not see the benefit of knowing this sort of detail. I don't even remember going into the operating theatre, and then the next thing i knew was waking up after it was all over in intensive care, in no pain. I am happy to leave the bit in the middle as a mystery, but that may not work for you.

Superman;n885627 said:
I believe there are videos floating around the inter webs

Despite having sugery and spending a lot of time in hospital this year. I'm.not for blood and parts. Couldn't watch the vids

Agian;n885633 said:
Actually, I was told the approach it from the Aorta. They work from this downwards. That is, they go in from above the valve. There's not cutting of heart muscle, just the annulus.

Cheers for the info!

Poyda;n885644 said:
Despite having sugery and spending a lot of time in hospital this year. I'm.not for blood and parts. Couldn't watch the vids
Poyda Hi - the link I posted above about mitral valve surgery had no videos or pictures so you don't need to worry about seeing blood or parts !

I can understand that some people might not want to watch videos of heart surgery, however, I found them very informative and reassuring, I watched videos about how open heart surgery is done prior to surgery, mainly because the surgeon wouldn't tell me how the sternum is cut, and since I have a depressed sternum and know my heart is snug right up next to my sternum I wanted to know how they avoid cutting the heart. Watching the video was very reassuring as I leanred how it is done. I didn't see much blood.

I was jealous that one forum member here had his/her surgery videoed by the surgical team (I don't know why) so they were able to see their own heart afterwards - I would have loved to have seen my own heart !

Poyda;n885652 said:
You mean like a "dip" in.your sternum? Coz I actually have the same thing! Curves down near the bottom
It's not a dip exactly, it's when the sternum is kind of sunken inwards along it's length, it's proper name is "pectus excavatum" and is a congenital thing. Mine isn't too bad as compared to some people and it doesn't cause a problem to the functining of my heart or lungs.

Latest posts

Back