valve leakage

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LeoLillac

Dear Everyone, ihear people taling about
valves leaking or failling that really freaak's m eout .
IWas told that St judes makes excellent valves hmm .
Why would a new valve have minimal leakage sounds
odd :confused: I think i better go get en echo have no thad one in over a year and a half .
Good health to all , Dara
Feb9th 2001
tricuspidv alve replacement
Dr fuster ( my angel)

Hi Leo,

Ask your cardiologist or surgeon. They will tell you that most if not all of these valves after surgery exhibit some small level of 'leakage'. It was concerning until I had 4 different opinions. They all told me the same thing. There is not 100% fit or fix. Best valve is your natural given valve. An option we don't have. What we do have is life. As long as you are feeling well..... and you doctor is keeping an eye on your heart and valve, not much more you can do.

I have learned worrying daily about my valve is a waste of time and energy. I am very compliant otherwise, can't do much more. I see things in a completly differant light now. Finally have come to peace with my condition.

Hi Leo... My mitral valve was repaired two years ago (almost).. it still leaks a bit.. but it is insignificant. You should keep seeing your cardiologist... I had echo's every six months the first 1-1/2 years... now we are shooting for one a year.

Gina is right... call your cardio and make an appt. to see him.

Take care,
Zazzy

Small amounts of leakage are necessary to prevent damage to either the valve or the formed elements of blood flowing through the aforementioned valve. Basically, a sealing valve (of the St Jude style) will start to deteriorate rapidly where the leaflets strike each other, as well as causing a greater degree of haemolysis, hence we design them with a slight tolerance built in.

As someone said, it's not your own, but it'll keep you ticking!

Regards,
Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back