Urination and Bleeding Problems After Catheterization

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich01

I had a cardiac cath in January and right after the procedure I couldn't pee. This lasted for several hours. When I got home I took a flomax and about an hour later, I was able to pee normally.

I just had another cath, this one to put in 2 stents. Same problem after procedure. After a couple of hours was able to get them to give me a flomax. No help. A couple of hours after that I asked if they could put in a catheter to drain my bladder. They scanned bladder and it was full, so they agreed.

Catheter put in and blood and urine came out. It's now close to 2 days after procedure and still a lot of blood coming out with urine. Two nurses told me it is not unusual to have a urinary problem with some bleeding after a cath. I have never seen any mention of this before, so am curious if any of you have had similar problems and how long it took to resolve.

They mentioned it was likely from the heparin and Plavix.

Update: Guys, if you are having any trouble urinating, try to get that resolved before having a cardiac cath, getting stents, or having TAVR.

My urologist said I was likely right at the threshold of my prostate being a problem and the trauma from the procedure was enough to swell it enough to block urination. He said the bleeding was from heparin used during the PCI.

He thinks flomax taken daily should be enough to prevent a reoccurrence after TAVR.

ETA: There was blood in my urine for about 40 hours and then it cleared up. Catheter was removed on 3rd day after it was put in.

Last edited:
Sounds dreadful. Sorry to read you're going through this.

The whole urinary catheter always bothers me
About 6 years ago, I had to self catheterize for a couple of weeks. That pretty much got me over it. There are 3 pressure points wherel you feel a little pain, but a good nurse will tell you to take a deep breath each time and by the time you take the breath you are past that point.

Back