Update on my experience with the ProTime System!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank

VR.com Founder, Now just a Member
Well, I have had my ProTime unit for a couple of weeks now. I have used it several times in order to develop a baseline of data with which to impress my Doctor.

The machine is SUPER easy to use. It guides you through the entire process.

For those on coumadin, the very small prick of the finger with the easy to use "tenderlett" device brings forth more than enough blood for a good sample.

The machine stores your test results in numerical and graphical format.

And I must add that the service I have received from QAS (the suppliers of the machine) has exceeded my expectations. And believe me when I say that even if they we're not sponsors of this site, I would be the first to tell you if thay had let me down in any way.

"I Love it so far" is an understatement.

Please feel free to contact me here or privately at [email protected] if you would like any further details.

Hi Hank,

Glad to read your comments about the ProTime and QAS. QAS is a top notch company in my opinion.

Everytime I have a question, I get a fast, professional response from either their technical staff, or a nurse, depending on my questions. The call is even free with their "800" number. It doesn't get much simplier.

I hope that others wanting a home test unit contact them and get some help.

I just flew back to Los Angeles, looks like I will be here for the next 11 days, so you know I have my unit with me. Also, I save the ice packs from their supply shipments to me, and I use one of them in a ziplock bag along with my covettes,(test strips). I was traveling for 9 hours today and they stayed very cool.

Looking forward to seeing you in Nashville,

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Hank
as I am expecting to have a mechanical valve when I have my surgery, I think it would be a good idea for me to get a Pro Time machine I would like to know if Q.A.S. could let me know if they supply the machines to any company in the UK I would like to get some details. hopefully after my surgery, God willing I plan to do some travelling and being able to self test would give me peace of mind
Thanking you
Jan

To Jan

To Jan

Hi Jan, my name is Lance from QAS, and the monitor is available to all countries. We have patients all throughout the world that use the system. Remember that if you do decide to order a monitor, we would need a prescription form, which can be downloaded from our site. You can reach us at 407-563-2865.
Please call me or email me at [email protected]. Have a good day.

Lance

dumb and dumber

dumb and dumber

Ok. Hank. Could you give me some ground work here on the QAS? Or, direct me to the spot that would provide it?? I have the Coagucheck machine, and I missed something somewhere. What is so awful about them? What is the benefit to the QAS, other than the obvious fact that their service is GREAT and its an 800 number! Not meaning to be facetious here, just curious and I dont make $1500 investments without some research.

Thanks in advance.

Mindy,

I don't think anyone here is advocating you to "chuck" your Coagucheck for the QAS system.

The reality is that Coagucheck has stopped selling it's unit to individual consumers in the United States. That means that the QAS system is the only one currently available for purchase to those of us on the left side of the pond :eek: .

Our friends over there in Great Britain can still purchase the Coagucheck system though.

Kristy W

Hi Lance

Very interested in seeing "the difference" between the units as I am sure many others will be too.

Maybe Hank can post a link up on the site for all to view?

I am a Coaugchek owner and my unit has been right on target thus far. Yes, technology may be advancing, but sometimes
'older' is the same if not better. Proven track records if you know what I am saying.

My resons for purchasing the Coaguchek was based upon having the opportunity to try your Protime unit. Getting the sample in the cup was too exasperating.

Just my opinion.
PS. Marty care to comment on the numbers Lance put out? Thanks.

Last edited:
To Janie

To Janie

Janie,

I'm sorry, and you are correct. I didn't mean to jeopardize the integrity of the CoaguChek device. The fact is, both monitor are accurate and in most cases very user friendly. The CoaguChek is proven to be very accurate in both a clinical setting and home use. I was merely trying to explain some of the differences between the two monitors, for someone who was potentially interested in purchasing a ProTime Unit. There is no need to 'worry' about the CoaguChek device. The FDA would not allow a monitor to be on the market unless it had been tested thoroughly. Again, I didn't mean for anyone to have concern.

Regards,

Lance

Protime vs coaguchek

Protime vs coaguchek

Lances statements are accurate. The Protime is a good unit. However I went with Coaguchek because I was afraid I couldn't
fill their little cup with blood. I actually had trouble with the Coaguchek getting a drop in the right place on the strip and Roche sent me some capillary pipettes that made it easy. Is Protime more accurate because of the different thromboplastin?
I don't know about that. The formula for computing INR is supposed to correct for differences in sensitivity of thromboplastin.My Coaguchek has worked for three years and my cardiologist says he trusts the readings as much as he does the hospital lab. If it ain't broke why fix it?

ProTime vs. Coaguchek

ProTime vs. Coaguchek

Until I received my ProTime, I had my INR tested with the coaguchek at my local coumadin clinic. The coaguchek worked just fine and I have no complaints whatsoever about it.

My ProTime is wonderful and the slightly larger amount of blood that it requires is a non-issue. If you can bleed 1 drop, you can bleed three. After all - we're on anticoagulants. Bleeding is what we do.

I love Chevrolets and would never in my life own a Ford. This doesn't mean that Fords are worse cars, it just means that I am partial to chevys!

The method of analysis that is used by the ProTime seems to me to be more sound.

If one is able to monitor their INR on their own and make coumadin therapy safer, then who cares what machine they are using?

Protime v Coaguchek

Protime v Coaguchek

Lance, I have a Coaguchek S and based on my independent research, there are definately pros and cons for both machines.

Having you as a sponser is great but your personal comments about the Coaguchek on this board, without them here to give the down side of the protime are inappropariate.

My information reveals that in Europe, where there both are sold on an even playing field, the Coaguchek and Coaguchek S outsale the Protime unit.

Sell your machines but back off the Coaguchek. Your biased opinion is liable to upset some people on this board who rely on this very dependable machine.

Woah Nellie!

Woah Nellie!

MamasitaRositaChiquitaBanana!

(exasperation) Didnt mean to stir up a hornets nest here, gee, honest Officer, Im innocent! I was/am truly interested in the difference between the two units, and I think I have PLENTY of information now, thank you very MUCH! I am not easily swayed, or upset by one individuals point of view, (particulary a salesman) and I certainly have suffered 0 stress over it. I dont even know what an ISI is, or whatever that was Lance, that is some kind of quality control measurement?

All I know is, I stick my finger, I put one drop of blood on little dot and WHAM, results. I got my Coagucheck in 11/99 and have had great luck with it. Couldnt be happier. Thanks for all the information that y'all provided. Please, dont get a feud started on my account. ;)

ProTime - Coaguchek - Lance - etc

ProTime - Coaguchek - Lance - etc

Hi Folks,

1st - I have read and re-read Lance's first post and don't particularly agree that it was as inflammatory as it is made out to be. Lance was invited by myself to provide answers to questions and concerns about the ProTime unit.

2nd - Anyone who has a Coaguchek is naturally biased about the Coaguchek.

3rd - Anyone who owns (or sells) the ProTime is naturally biased about the ProTime.

4th - I have emailed Roche Diagnostics (makers of the coaguchek) and given them the opportunity to defend their position (no response from them).

5th - If you know something good or factual about either machine, please post it in this forum. This is why it was created.

6th - Please play nice.

Hank,

I understand the Protime thing and its relationship to this board. Protime/Lance just need to make sure people know he is a salesman selling a product. As Coaguchek does not sell to individuals in the US, they are not too concerned with promoting a product here they do not sell.

I am not biased to the Coaguchek, I looked into both and believe me it took a while to sort through the crap both spout out about the other. Most of my info came from Europe where both have a substantial market. I simply chose one over the other but had I not been able to score the Coaguchek, I would have gone with the Protime. To me it was pretty much a toss-up.

I still believe Lance needs to frame his comments in the context of a salesman selling a product. (not exactly what I would call independent research).

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you Hank for setting the record straight.

I didnt realize that Lance was working for ProTime.
That helps. Anyway, it was interesting to read, and
I appreciate your providing the forum for same. Its not
everywhere you can gain that kind of information. Not
from your proverbial man on the street.

Thanks!
Mindy

Coaguchek

Coaguchek

Everbody's right ProTime does take more blood for tests due to the sample is split between triplicate testing and also used as a wetting agent for the quality controls that are done each test. Coaguchek is sold even in the states (professionaly) at a greater number than ProTime,I think this is due to a multi-billion dollar company vs a 30 million dollar company. Rosche has maybe 10 sales people per state compared to 1 person per 3 states from ITC. This ratio is even greater in Europe.
Avocet had some great features as well that neither ProTime or Coaguchek have,they could use whole blood or citrated blood and get a PT & INR from those tubes. This was a real benifit to clinics.

Roche and Avocet

Roche and Avocet

Roche now sells only to the profession.Avocet which did have a nice device, went bellyup after the ACForum meeting in May. Probably, because HCFA would not come up with any help for patients.
So you are the only game in town for the individual patient. Enjoy!

Pros and Cons

Pros and Cons

I got my protime unit on friday. It's huge compared to my much loved avosure unit!
The case I had to buy is also huge and somewhat tacky, compared to what I had that is no more, boo hoo.( avocet units came with a nice zippered case, very small and nice).
The pokes with the tenderlett hurt me for 2 days, and I sure liked using one drop vs 3-4, but all this is to no avail as the stupid avocet co went out of business.
I am lucky my insurance paid for the protime since it cost twice as much!
On the plus side, I think the protime unit has a better self check, and more checks at one time with the blood to get a good result. Also, it only costs me $1 per check.
I read that the cuvettes don't have to be refrigerated for 14 days so traveling will be easier with those.
So, I miss my avocet but will get used to the protime and probably really like it too eventually! What is the error ratio of the protime vs the coaguchek, Lance?

Gail

Reply to Gail

Reply to Gail

Dear Gail,

Please give me a call on 800-298-4515 and I can see if you might like a smaller fingerstick. We have a Tenderlette Adult (90% of patients use this), a Tenderlette Jr., and a Tenderlette Toddler. Only the adult one has the cup for blood collection, but you can do the fingerstick with the Jr. and then drop the sample into the Tenderlette Adult. Sometimes you have a patient that has worked with his or her hands for their entire lives, and they have to use a deeper fingerstick than the Tenderlette Adult. My point is that we find the Tenderlette Adult to be a good median for most patients, but everyone is different.

The ProTime and the Coaguchek are both accurate, but there are differences how you are testing. You could go from one lab to another and have a difference, and the same applies to home monitors. You have to find a range that you are comfortable with, no matter which way you are testing. I have an interesting chart from DuPont that shows different ISI's and how they relate to INR correlations. Please call me when you get a chance.

Lance

Back