update - good, bad & the ugly

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

I am now 3 1/2 months post-op. I have worked for two weeks. I took 3 months off of work because of the lifting restrictions. I am now back to my busy and tiring routine. Taking 3 months off gave me a reference point for just how tired and stressed I get from work and daily life. I don't feel any better after surgery than before. I knew that was what would probably happen, but I had hoped I would feel better. My VO2 was 18 pre-op and I bet it has not reached that yet post-op.

I had a sleep study monday night and everything came out normal. No answer for why I feel so much better sleeping in the recliner. I guess my heart and lungs just work better in a more upright position. I saw my local cardio today and he decided to do another holter monitor. I will take it off tomorrow before cardiac rehab. The cardio's nurse is retiring also. I had already figured out that it was coming soon.

I went to cardiac rehab today. I am glad it is almost over. I am a congenital heart patient and they still wanted my cholesterol drawn at the beginning of the program. It was a little elevated, but it always has been. Now that it is almost over they want me to get it checked again to see if exercise lowered it. What they don't seem to get is that I have consistently exercised for years. I don't think another 10 weeks of exercise is going to change it drastically. I told them that as a rehab program they can't do anything about the results so why get it. If my PCP wants another one then he can order it. I don't know if my insurance company will pay for another one so I may get out of it that way. I was in a hurry today and my case manager for rehab is not here this week so I will discuss it further with them later. They say look how much more you can do now than 10 weeks ago. Of course, I was 6 weeks post-op when I started. I am pushed a lot more now. Even to the point that they have let me go above my target heart rate range without saying anything. I am still not where I was pre-op.

Sorry for the pity party. I'll feel better next week.

Debbie

It was my experience with my husband's surgeries was that feeling better than before surgery happens after a long time, as much as a year or more. The initial recovery period is 6-8 weeks, but then the longer recovery is quite extended. And it isn't only my husband who had this happen. Many on the site have expressed the exact same thing.

It is discouraging, but keep on doing what you are doing and eventually, you will get to that good place. This is a tough surgery.

I'm sorry it is so frustrating. I know you love working with kids, even tho the hours are tough, otherwise I would say you should apply for your cardio nurse's replacement..it would be nice to have a nurse who "got it"
I Know it is tough to always get tired, from you CHD problems, Even at Justin's best, he still need naps on his days he isn't working or school. Hopefully you will see some more improvement tho.

and really you should tell the rehab people they really need a seperate program for their pateints who did not need CABGs

Lyn said:
"and really you should tell the rehab people they really need a seperate program for their pateints who did not need CABGs"
Amen!

I still get calls every year from the company's "health partners," who want to help me with diets and life programs get my cholesterol down, so I can live with my heart disease. Then I tell them my cholesterol count (usually better than theirs) and explain to them as patiently as I can about the difference between a valve issue and an arteriosclerosis issue. And they say, "Yes, but you want to keep it from developing into one, don't you?" At which point I say something irretrievable and hang up on them...

Best wishes,

I have lived, worked and married CHD. I need to get away from CHD every once in a while. They also already have a replacement.

I think mainly I just needed a good cry. I will be fine. I will be done with the majority of my dr appointments and rehab in the next month. It will be a lot easier to get on with my life after that.

Debbie

I have lived, worked and married CHD. I need to get away from CHD every once in a while. They also already have a replacement.

I think mainly I just needed a good cry. I will be fine. I will be done with the majority of my dr appointments and rehab in the next month. It will be a lot easier to get on with my life after that.

Debbie

You shall be fine! YES! it is a matter of time and slowly and surely you shall start enjoying your new you :)

Debbie,
You have been through alot. If I remember correctly this was your 4th surgery?? For what its worth, it took me MUCH longer than I had anticipated before I started to feel remotely close to my former self (and this was my first surgery).

Hang in there... Crying is a good release. Be gentle with yourself.

Next time they ask you (in cardiac rehab) how you're feeling just answer them, "Can't complain; no one will listen..." <SNAP>

You don't sound like you're having a pity party at all. And isn't that bizarre about the cholesterol. My family doctor has been after me for years to take something for cholesterol. I finally told him about the bicuspid condition people usually having clean arteries and my angiogram showed that I did. And then my last cholesterol test was fantastic and I didn't hear a peep about it from the doctor! BUT I WANT A GOLD STAR! And then my silly insurance company decided I had COPD?!? I have no idea how that happened unless it was because I received a SPIROMETER after OPEN HEART SURGERY. Dummies.

Anyway, have your cry. And you will feel better. Tomorrow is another day. Take care :)

Last edited:
Just thought I would give you an update. I knew my pity parties usually don't last long, but I was just very frustrated on tuesday. I feel better about things today.

I talked to one of the exercise physiologist at rehab on thursday. I told him that I have not been able to do what I could do pre-op on my bicycle at home. I told him that I have seemed to hit a wall and have not improved in a couple of weeks. Pre-op I could exercise at 60 watts for 30 minutes, now I am having trouble staying at 60 watts longer than a few minutes. I can alternated between 45 and 60 watts for a total of 30 minutes. He suggested that I try going to 75 watts for 30 second intervals with a longer recovery time about 1-2 times a week. That may enable be to stay at 60 watts longer. He also said that I mainly use the treadmill in rehab so I am not using the muscles for the bicycle as much. All that made since so maybe I will improve with time.

Debbie

Back