Unisurable after OHS??????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

baldstuart

:eek: 6 weeks after Baldstuart's OHS he went back to work only to be let go an hour after he arrived. Supposedly the desicion was based on profit loss in the company while he was on disability :mad: (We are sure that they used that reason instead of telling him the decision was based on the increase in Insurance premiums for the company because of him,and their concern he would be taking more time off in the future, but how do you prove it?) Anyway we have continued his Blue Cross insurance coverage thru Cobra and will be able to roll it over into a regular policy after 18th months at a substantial increase in premium. How long will we have to stay with Blue Cross since he has had OHS and would be unisurable if we terminated the policy? When he gets a new job will he be deemed uninsurable by the new employers insurance? We have no idea how this works and what the smartest thing for us to do would be. Any advice is appreciated Thanks

At all costs, KEEP THE COBRA in force until he is fully enrolled in another plan.

Yes, it sounds like he 'got the shaft' from his former employer, but as you said, "how do you prove it". It might worth 'discussing' with someone who might be in a position to offer relevant advice.

Insurance with a new company will depend entirely on the company policy, but most group plans will include new hires after a specified 'waiting period'.

GOOD LUCK !

'AL Capshaw'

*shakes head*

It's stories like these that really get me down about life in general.... Very sorry that this happened to baldstuart :(.

As Al noted, keep the COBRA at all costs.... And, as you interview for new jobs, be sure to investigate the type of insurance offered and the parameters of the coverage....

Good luck.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html
"There's things goin' on make me mad down to the core" ... Charlie Daniels ... 'Simple Man'

You have to wonder do you even dare mention anything about OHS when interviewing for employment and how will it affect you if you don't tell them until after your hired? It is pretty sad when your value to a company is based on your health :confused: .

baldstuart said:
You have to wonder do you even dare mention anything about OHS when interviewing for employment and how will it affect you if you don't tell them until after your hired? It is pretty sad when your value to a company is based on your health :confused: .
I NEVER discuss my medical history or age when interviewing for a job. I also don't usually discuss them once I am hired.
I would also be contacting an attorney just to make sure his ex-company's story about "profit" issues was real. This sounds like a BS story to me.
As far as insurance, be sure and keep the Cobra coverage until new insurance goes into effect. He cannot be refused insurance based on pre-existing conditions if he has continuous coverage. He would be subject to a company's waiting period that applies to any new employee but can't be refused.
I am so sorry this happened to him. There must be a special place in Hell reserved for people that pull this kind of crap.

baldstuart,

You're right ... it is sad that companies value health over how you perform your job. Since I was the only one of my area to be let go due to the Sears/Kmart merger last April, I'm convinced that my health had something to do with that decision. I can't prove it, of course, due to the extent of the layoffs, but I wonder....

*lowers head*

I think I may be in a bit of a fix myself. I just recently discovered that I should've canceled the COBRA coverage way back in August, when the insurance at my new employer "kicked in". I didn't. Instead, I kept paying the bill for the COBRA coverage. I haven't used my new employer insurance yet (still have not received some of the cards/info I need for it), but now I'm worried that I'll be nailed for fraud for using the COBRA coverage. Aye...aye aye....

On top of this, I have a line on a new job ... with an online automotive parts place in which I would be traveling to car shows and selling merchandise. But, I haven't heard from them in over a week...aye. Even if it does come about, there is no health coverage ... so I'm not sure if I'd be able to be in COBRA for a while or not ... or if I'd have to obtain non-group coverage which may or may not cover pre-existing conditions ever....aye.

And, of course, the language in the health packets (both with COBRA and the new employer) isn't readable enough to answer my questions/concerns specifically to ease my mind.

Aye aye aye.

PamO, where are ya? ;)

I'm with Geebee on this. I'd get an attorney. How many other people were let go? Or was it just him? There are laws against this type of discrimination.

Best wishes,

Most states will not cover individual policies for at least a year for pre existing conditions.. We are going thru this also. We are now covered under B/C B/S of Florida and are thinking of moving to South Carolina.. I have made several calls about this, plus I retired from B/C B/S so therefore know a "little" about it. South Carolina is one of the few states that does have a high risk policy. However you need to apply for B/C B/S, get the denial from them and then apply for the high risk coverage.. It is so complicated and very expensive to get this coverage. Our other option is for one of us to get a job and go on a group policy... We both have pre existing conditions so it is upsetting. The whole medical insurance issue is a mess.. You would think that you could go from one state to another as long as you have continuous coverage, after all we are one country, right????? Don't even get me started!!!!!!!!!! Rose

tobagotwo said:
I'm with Geebee on this. I'd get an attorney. How many other people were let go? Or was it just him? There are laws against this type of discrimination.

Best wishes,

Baldstuart was the only one let go. Then two weeks later the Job Title was changed and they hired someone else in at $20,000 a year less than Bald was making. What does that tell us? We have been told we can do nothing because they are an "At will employer" and they can let anyone go at anytime for no reason. :confused:

baldstuart said:
Baldstuart was the only one let go. Then two weeks later the Job Title was changed and they hired someone else in at $20,000 a year less than Bald was making. What does that tell us? We have been told we can do nothing because they are an "At will employer" and they can let anyone go at anytime for no reason. :confused:

Boy that sure sounds like a bunch of **** to me. I would also recommend you talk to an attorney. What have you got to lose? If nothing else, it may give you some peace of mind knowing that you checked it out.

I would also keep any insurance that you currently have until you are fully enrolled in anther plan. You will find it next to impossible to find coverage on your own. If you do find it I am sure it would be very expensive.

Best of luck to you.

Michelle

"At will" doesn't include the right to discriminate, or to fire someone for becoming ill. I'd still go see the attorney. If money is an issue (and when is it not?), there are many attorneys who do this solely for a cut of the proceeds.

Best wishes,

Rose,

You would think that'd be the case ... but, for me, I think I finally have understood why my move to Nashville TN has not happened ... because I hadn't realized that the "no pre-existing condition" clause did NOT matter if you were moving state-to-state. And, obviously, if I had moved to TN as I had hoped...my pre-existing condition would not have been covered, as I understand it :(.

Also...I neglected to note in my earlier post that I have not determined if the insurance with my new company does, in fact, include a pre-existing clause. I know it shouldn't (by law), but as Niki found out, that isn't necessarily true....

*sighs*

All of this insurance business spins my head around until I'm confused and my head aches :(.

Arg.

And, btw, I know we talked about it in an earlier thread, but I can't seem to find the thread (nor can I even remember what was exactly said...should've made better notes for myself) that someone posted a link to the high-risk insurance ... and other links about individual state assistance plans...or something like that?

*grumbles*

Course, I'm also very frustrated with all of this insurance "red tape", etc.... Sure hope PamO reads this thread soon ...... Or, if anyone can help me shed some light on what I need to do, etc., let me know, would ya?

rbl1999 said:
Most states will not cover individual policies for at least a year for pre existing conditions.. We are going thru this also. We are now covered under B/C B/S of Florida and are thinking of moving to South Carolina.. I have made several calls about this, plus I retired from B/C B/S so therefore know a "little" about it. South Carolina is one of the few states that does have a high risk policy. However you need to apply for B/C B/S, get the denial from them and then apply for the high risk coverage.. It is so complicated and very expensive to get this coverage. Our other option is for one of us to get a job and go on a group policy... We both have pre existing conditions so it is upsetting. The whole medical insurance issue is a mess.. You would think that you could go from one state to another as long as you have continuous coverage, after all we are one country, right????? Don't even get me started!!!!!!!!!! Rose

Rose,
If I understand you correctly, those of us that do not have group insurance cannot move out of state because we will lose our insurance coverage?

I have B/C with a $7500 + $2500 deductible, but very good major medical coverage. I'm terrified about some day being late in making a payment and then being dropped -- permanently, but until then I thought I was okay. I didn't realize that it is not "transferable" if I move out of California.

We need to band together to pursue our legislators to protect both uninsured and undersinsured citizens against greedy insurance companies.

The continuous insurance coverage thing is a federal law (but I cannot remember the specifics - sorry). I moved from California to Ohio and the only thing I had to make sure of is that I remembered to pay my Cobra. As soon as I became eligible for insurance at my new company, all I had to do was provide the notice from Cobra that I had continuous coverage and all pre-existing conditions went out the window.
The Cobra was with United Health Care and my new coverage is with Anthem so it is not an insurance company thing.
Now, if you work for a company that does not offer Cobra coverage (and smaller ones may not - mine does not), you may have some problems as continuous coverage may not be available. I realize I have to work for my company for the rest of my life or until I am eligible for Medicare because I cannot get Cobra.

Oh, and Baldstuart, get thee to an attorney. The story you received about company profits is BS when only one person was let go and right after returning from medical leave. Also, the fact that they hired someone for less money, doing the same job (even if they retitled it) is also grounds for a lawsuit.

You can find an attorney that takes a percentage, as Bob said. The company will probably end up settling anyway as going to court costs more money than a settlement. Don't let them get away with this.

We had a similar situation when Randy was laid off last year. He trained his replacement and lost his job of 17 years. i think the combined offences of higher insurance premiums because of Andrew's heart condition with having a higher income due to length of employment, made him a canidate for the lay off. Although others who worked at that plant also were laid off.

We were unable to afford cobra but fortunately did qualify for medicaid which has paid for his valvereplacement surgery, his earlier pt tests, check ups, follow ups, icd surgery, ep test and caths and nueclear scanning. Not to mention at least 10 presricptions a month. Can you imagine if we were with out any insurance?

Now Randy has a new job and it offers blue cross blue shield starting in January. I worry about premiums and prescription copays. We probably will qualify for Il Kidcare which can help. Randy's income is about half what it was when he worked before and we were modestly paid then.

I really sympathize for you adults. There doesn't seem to be as many resources for you. I wish I had some answers.

You should be ok as long as you go on a group coverage even if it is in a different state... The problem is mostly on individual policies and small groups.. If I go on B/C of S. Carolina when we move I will not be covered for pre existing conditions for a 12 month period because I would be going on an individual policy. My husband also has pre existing conditions, he has had a kidney transplant and prostate cancer.. It may be worth one of us getting a job with insurance coverage thru a group, we will see. The whole thing is so out of control... Rose PS Think good thoughts for us, we are waiting the arrival of Hurricane Wilma. We have storm shutters on and are as prepared as we can be, but it is very stressful... Luckily I have xanax on hand!!!!!

Funny story

Funny story

baldstuart said:

Funny story - my cardiologist was surprised I never mentioned my mod-severe leaking aortic valve to potential employers in the past. He thought it was no big deal to talk about medical problems w/ employers - apprently he's been a doctor for a looong time and not out in the business world. My jaw dropped open and I told him I NEVER mentioned it in case they wouldn't hire me because of it - then his jaw dropped open.

Anyhow, I'm back at work now 6 weeks post AVR surgery, we'll see how my employer handles more frequent doctor visits, etc.

Patty

Hipaa

Hipaa

geebee said:
The continuous insurance coverage thing is a federal law (but I cannot remember the specifics - sorry). I moved from California to Ohio and the only thing I had to make sure of is that I remembered to pay my Cobra. As soon as I became eligible for insurance at my new company, all I had to do was provide the notice from Cobra that I had continuous coverage and all pre-existing conditions went out the window.

"The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) limits the circumstances under which coverage may be excluded for medical conditions present before you enroll. Under the law, a preexisting condition exclusion generally may not be imposed for more than 12 months (18 months for a late enrollee). The 12-month (or 18-month) exclusion period is reduced by your prior health coverage. You are entitled to a certificate that will show evidence of your prior health coverage. If you buy health insurance other than through an employer group health plan, a certificate of prior coverage may help you obtain coverage without a preexisting condition exclusion. Contact your State insurance department for further information."

Upon termination of your insurance when you find a new job that has insurance coverage, the old insurance will issue a "certificate of coverage" showing the dates your policy was intact. You then send this certificate to the new insurance so they won't deny you coverage on pre-existing conditions. THIS IS A FEDERAL LAW so it applies across states and across different insurance companies.

I just went through this and it worked seamlessly. The law doesn't imply having a group vs. individual policy would make any difference but I'm not sure 100% - your individual insurance company would likely know.

Also, getting fired from a job because of a medical reason is illegal!! :mad: Consult with an attorney. Your situation may be covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm.

Patty

Latest posts

Back