U of M vs Clevland Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpr100rs

I have been seeing a U of M cardiologist for 20 years (I'm 62 and asymptomatic) to follow my bicuspid aortic valve and aortic anurysm ( stable for 5 yrs at 4.5 but will likely be repaired when the valve is replaced). Peak gradient is 126 and my valve area is .6, so surgery time. I consulted with a U of M surgeon starting 2 yrs ago, (no need to name) but I'm not impressed and I so told my cardiologist. He has recommended I consult with Dr. Karen Meekyong Kim. Being within 3 hours of the Clevland Clinic, I intend to get a consult with Dr. Eric Roselli. Dr. Roselli and CC always get a thumbs up, but anyone out there know Dr. Kim? I'm an hour from Ann Arbor, so it's very covenient and they have a good reputation, but not as good as CC. Would like to hear from anyone who considered both facilities and why you chose one over the other. Thanks all.

Personally, I go for the surgeon and facility with the most practice and experience. I chose Cleveland Clinic, and I'm driving from Pittsburgh. If you choose to consult with Dr. Kim, you would want to ask specifically how many of these procedures has she completed successfully? Based on her credentials, my guess is that it is not even close to the top surgeons at CC. But, that's me. I understand that someone has to give the newer surgeons a chance. You could ask for references of recent patients. It's tough. Good luck!

I started going to Cleveland for checkups after a year of seeing Baltimore or Virginia doctors. Cleveland was a 6 hour drive from the WV Eastern Panhandle but a world away from the care I was getting locally. It was hands down more through testing, calculating if it’s Time to do this thing, everything. It was always super professional awesome experience. Because of that I was not a complete basket case surgery day and I think the confidence in the surgeon and staff helped my recovery and got me up and out

Last edited:
I drove my wife to CC for 2 of her OHS's (7 hr drive). For straight-forward heart valve surgery, you may be able to find a good surgeon locally but for more complex surgeries (e.g. multi-valve, redo's, aneurism, other comorbidities), why not go to one of the best, if not the best, for heart care. A large part of the decision is obviously the skill and experience of the surgeon but you also need to consider the entire team as well. There are hotels with suites/appts within walking distance (also with frequent shuttles) to CC that cater to patients and families.

I got excellent care at my local hospital. There are a lot of good valve replacement and aorta repair teams around the world. I'd only go somewhere different if my case was complex.

I’m no fan, but U of M is undefeated right now and looking at a 1 seed in the tournament. I think they could take the Cleveland Clinic. That said, GO GREEN! But it isn’t our year.

I few from ATL to Cleveland Clinic in 2019 can not recommend Dr. Unal enough. Roselli is excellent, but tends to be boked out very far in advanced, I only have a 6-8 week wait for Unai and he was amazing. He personally called me at my 12 week CT review. Cleveland Clinic staff was also amazing. The have been like #1 in US for like 21 years now. When I was there in other rooms were patients form overseas, which says something since in EU typically has universal medical coverage.

I have been seeing a U of M cardiologist for 20 years (I'm 62 and asymptomatic) to follow my bicuspid aortic valve and aortic anurysm ( stable for 5 yrs at 4.5 but will likely be repaired when the valve is replaced). Peak gradient is 126 and my valve area is .6, so surgery time. I consulted with a U of M surgeon starting 2 yrs ago, (no need to name) but I'm not impressed and I so told my cardiologist. He has recommended I consult with Dr. Karen Meekyong Kim. Being within 3 hours of the Clevland Clinic, I intend to get a consult with Dr. Eric Roselli. Dr. Roselli and CC always get a thumbs up, but anyone out there know Dr. Kim? I'm an hour from Ann Arbor, so it's very covenient and they have a good reputation, but not as good as CC. Would like to hear from anyone who considered both facilities and why you chose one over the other. Thanks all.
I live just outside AA, this will be my 2nd AVR. Since I will go tissue & want the Insp. Resilia valve I will have to go to CC as UoM has no familiarity with the Insp. Besides having had my 1st done at CC (like the idea that I will be a repeat) they did mention at the U that if I had my surgery done at CC I would not be "special", & part of an "impersonal" group of surgeries. Well I didn't want to be special & yes I want to be part of an everyday occurance at a hospital. Plus I don't know right now how many surgeons currently are available for AVR at the UoM I know there are several at CC. Of course the followup care has been done at the U & it's true I've had much better & personal care at the UoM. The UoM's "patients & families 1st" is totally what they practice.

Have you chosen? I would be interested to know your decision.

my understanding is that Dr. Roselli only does aorta work now. When I looked 2 years ago he was booked out 4-5 months and they had assigned me Dr. Unai who was fantastic. Unai does a long of heart lung transplants as well which have to be far more complicated. Unai’s nurse that I dealt with was fantastic. When I was diagnosed in 2007 I spent years doing on and off research and basically CC has been #1 for over 20 years followed by Mayo in MN. I looked at all the stats on surgery survival rates and again CC was better than any other hospital for valve and aorta. I knew years before my surgery that if I could afford to I would go to CC. I started putting money aside for the trip about 2 years before they told me it was time. If you factor out the deductibles I had to covers ($5K) the trip itself, airfare, car, hotel, ubers, food, etc. was probably about $5K as well. I would do it again even if that meant borrowing to do it, well worth every penny.

my understanding is that Dr. Roselli only does aorta work now. When I looked 2 years ago he was booked out 4-5 months and they had assigned me Dr. Unai who was fantastic. Unai does a long of heart lung transplants as well which have to be far more complicated. Unai’s nurse that I dealt with was fantastic. When I was diagnosed in 2007 I spent years doing on and off research and basically CC has been #1 for over 20 years followed by Mayo in MN. I looked at all the stats on surgery survival rates and again CC was better than any other hospital for valve and aorta. I knew years before my surgery that if I could afford to I would go to CC. I started putting money aside for the trip about 2 years before they told me it was time. If you factor out the deductibles I had to covers ($5K) the trip itself, airfare, car, hotel, ubers, food, etc. was probably about $5K as well. I would do it again even if that meant borrowing to do it, well worth every penny.

Unai does a long of heart lung transplants as well which have to be far more complicated.

I’m reading The Surgeons by Charles R Morris.
95EF581A-847C-418A-8DA0-8B2F4F349493.jpeg

Have you chosen? I would be interested to know your decision.
I'm going with Cleveland Clinic, Dr Aaron Weiss. He's able to do it April 13. I wanted Dr. Roselli but he is booking for June and he didn't want me to wait that long given my poor numbers. His NP said he will be in the OR for some of the procedure, but Dr. Weiss will be lead. So I feel comfortable, especially given the CC team, not just the surgeon, is top shelf. Wish I had the same feeling about U of M, but just didn't feel confident after discussing my case with 2 surgeons there. Best of luck to you.

I had my AVR ohs done in November 2020 in Cleveland Clinic traveling from Florida. This is the best place to get it done. I went there for a 3 months post-op testing a couple of weeks ago and planning to do my annual visits there as well.

See Lars Svenson at Cleveland.

Back