Two years in

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrychuck

Two years ago today the weather was cold, gray and miserable, and my docs were still several hours away from figuring out why I seemed determined to die on them in the ICU. I was on a vent and goin' down. Fortunately they managed to figure out that my mitral valve had decided to quit participating in my heart's function, and I was provided with a shiny new St. Jude's mechanical valve that night. Today the weather in unseasonably warm, the sky is blue and cloudless. Yesterday I flew my airplane, including some mild aerobatics, sat in the sun at my hangar enjoying a beer and listening to a football game, rode my motorcycle, and went to a concert in the evening (the Doobies can still rock, by the way). Today I go for a stress echo, as my recent resting echo showed improvement in some areas but a slight decline in EF which my cardiologist wants to sort out. Aside from that minor fly in the ointment, I have to say that I prefer Oct. 20, 2014 to Oct. 20, 2012 by a wide margin! Keep well, everybody.

Ha! You just reminded me - My two-year anniversary will be a month past, tomorrow. Been so busy spending quality time with my lovely wife and daughter, working on the house and the cars, riding my motorcycle, and training for the Turkey Trot 5K, I hadn't really thought about my aortic valve, except when I occasionally hear it and shrug my shoulders, "Yeah, still ticking."

Congrats to you Gerry and what a way to spend the day.....fantastic!
People have been water skiing on the river, it's been warm here too in ToonTown.

Thanks to everyone! Just a quick update: My stress echo still shows EF at 47% (I was off my metoprolol for the test, mind you). Cardiologist is adding a small dose of Altace to my regimen. The other interesting thing is that my aorta has grown slightly (to 36 mm) and the cardiologist is fairly convinced I'm Marfans. So....he has instructed me to avoid heavy lifting and doing weights over about 25 lbs. I don't like having limitations put on me, but understand the wisdom of trying to prevent further dilatation of the aorta. I still don't like it though:(

Happy # 2, Gerry! Time 'flies' when you are having fun. :)
Sounds like your cardiologist is on top of things.
Wishing you many more years of good health.

Agian;n849007 said:
Hi Gerry, excuse my curiosity. But why would your cardiologist think you have Marfans?

Combination of my general build (tall, slim, long limbs and fingers, flat feet), joint flexibility, and my otherwise unexplained history of mitral valve degeneration and failure. Having said that, I do not have a positive "thumb test", my "wrist test" is equivocal, and I don't have a lot of the other systemic signs. Although Marfan's has come up as a possibility before, it doesn't seem like a total slam dunk and my cardiologist's diagnostic process was a wee bit casual; took him about 15 seconds. I'd say the jury is still out on this one.

Latest posts

Back