Two year valveversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyDanny

Two years ago today, just about this time, Dr. Kshettry was making his first incision. I really should check in more often; however, some things I read can cause more discouragement "on this side" than the great benefit I got from this group in preparation. That said, I will really try to check in and lend encouragement to those who are about to take this path.

I am doing well, although the PCP wants me to lose a bit of weight (put on 15#, which is a bit I guess since I am a skinny guy to begin with) and monitor the BP at home - frankly, telling me to get back on my home exercise program.

60th birthday coming up next month, and am optimistic that there are a lot of beats left in this old/new ticker.

Greetings to all!!

-Dan Snyder

Congratulations Dan. May you have many more.

I just turned 60 and can stand to lose more than 15# so from my vantage point, you're lucky. If your people are like my health care workers, they all tell you to lose weight, just not how :) Set your goals small to begin with...no more weight gain, then start trying to lose it.

Just for grins, I've started asking them "What do you suggest?" I never get a good answer or a prescription for workouts. My cardio said his mother had "good luck with Weight Watchers" which is not really a "professional" recommendation. I can get the same advice from my neighbor :) The best advice I got was from my pcp, "Get used to being hungry, there's nothing wrong with it and being hungry is actually good for you." Another Dr told me to stop using salt so my food wouldn't taste so good.

PsyDanny Congratulations on the two year milestone. Many of us are told to loose weight. I find it interesting that tom in MO wrote that his cardiologist used the same words as mind: “Get use to being hungry.” They must read the same trade journals.

I find my two years anniversary a mixed bag. Enough time has passed that we often forget we had surgery. We have healed. We resumed normal activity. We no longer worry about dying. Then we find ourselves out of breath, or at a follow up checkup with the cardiologist and we remember that we have heart disease. He says you are find, loose weight, check the blood pressure, and I’ll see you in a year. That will be a $50 co-pay, He bill your insurance $350, who will discount it to $125 and pay him.

Meanwhile you go home and try to get on with making the best of the years you wouldn’t have if you never had your valve replaced.

It is highly unlikely that we will see our 51 year anniversary like Dick has, but we can enjoy these extra years and heartbeats we have been given. Wishing you the best.
Fred

Latest posts

Back