Two Weeks Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

We've been awfully lucky so far... Jill had an EKG today and her rythym is still normal. I think we may have dodged the A-fib bullet. Nothing else has happened except for a smooth, textbook recovery. Her incision is nearly healed, although it's still sore. We're going to go out to dinner together this evening. It'll be her first time out of the house for reasons other than doctor appointments.

One last echo next Tuesday and the battle could be over...

So glad she is doing so well, Christian. Enjoy your dinner tonight- well deserved by both of you!:)

Awesome news! Enjoy dinner! I'm 10 weeks post-op and life is good.

Paul

That's just about as close to Picture Perfect as you can get! Great news!

Christian said:
We've been awfully lucky so far... Jill had an EKG today and her rythym is still normal. I think we may have dodged the A-fib bullet. Nothing else has happened except for a smooth, textbook recovery. Her incision is nearly healed, although it's still sore. We're going to go out to dinner together this evening. It'll be her first time out of the house for reasons other than doctor appointments.

One last echo next Tuesday and the battle could be over...

Great report. It does indeed sound like the battle is all but over. Best wishes to both of you. Enjoy the celebration.

Still no bumps in our road. We went for our three week echo yesterday and her local cardiologist said her heart sounds so good that he didn't need to do an echo. (Which actually stinks, since we wanted to see what was going on). He agreed to do one in a month so we'll go back one last time on December 19th.

Jill was cleared to drive, exercise, and basically do everything that she wants other than lift more than 10 lbs. She's getting a holter monitor for a day next week just as a precaution, but yesterday's EKG was fine.

Sadly but somewhat humourously, Colin fell ill this week. I'm sure you've all heard of strep throat. Well, Colin somehow came down with strep anus. Oh, the indignity! I'm glad he's too young to get teased at school. We've got him started on anti-biotics and his little butt should be fine.

All sounds wonderful, Christian- except for the strep butt! :eek: I'm sure you will get lots of input on that one.:) Wishing you all a very happy Thanksgiving.

Phyllis said:
All sounds wonderful, Christian- except for the strep butt! :eek: I'm sure you will get lots of input on that one.:) Wishing you all a very happy Thanksgiving.

Strep butt......oh my, did I need that laugh! :D I've never even heard of that, poor little guy. Glad to hear things are going so well, have a great Thanksgiving!

Congratulations to you all for a wonderful recovery time and what a smile you brought to my face with the strep butt! Not too funny for Colin I'm sure! I'm 5 weeks post AVR and also enjoying a textbook recovery and finding each day to be such a gift. Jeff and I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and your blessings tenfold.

Christian, glad to hear Jill is doing so well. Tell her to keep up the good work whatever she's doing. She'll continue to show even more improvement everyday. Please give her my best.

BTW, we're getting geared up for the big Indy/Steelers game tonight. Go Colts!!

"Strep butt" is a new one on me. Poor little guy! :(

And yet... Make absolutely sure she stays away from his cute little strep butt, as hard as it may be for her. If she even thinks she's come into contact with something that contacted it (e.g. laundry, you after changing him, etc.), she needs to wash her hands immediately and thoroughly. She must not be exposed to strep right now. The epithelium around the valve that will help protect her from endocarditis will take up to three months to completely regrow. Until that time, she remains at greater risk of infection. :eek:

As long as I'm being the meany: for insurance purposes, anyone who can't lift more than ten pounds shouldn't be driving a vehicle, no matter what your doctor said. If she has to make a sudden, emergency turn, she may well not be able to turn hard or fast enough, particularly against the G forces that often occur in an emergency situation. Just my opinion, concerned for her safety and your lawsuit threshold.;)

Other than being the nag, I'm delighted to hear how well she's doing. Believe it or not, most of these operations and recoveries do go very well. It's wonderful that she's turning out to be an example of how it should be. :D

Best wishes,

Certain bacteria are prone to infecting the heart valves. The most common are from the Streptococcus (strep) family, particularly a group of bacteria that are normally found around the teeth. These are not the same type that cause strep throat infections, which are rarely a cause of endocarditis

I think Melissa's correct. A Group A strep infection (strep throat and apparently strep butt) is different than a strep viridans (sp?) infection, and the latter is what causes endocarditis.

In any event, it's water under the bridge. Jill had changed Colin's diaper numerous times before he was diagnosed, so she was definitely exposed to his infection. We just assumed it was a benign diaper rash. Nothing that we can do about it now except cross our fingers.

Fortunately for Colin, it's all cleared up.

Both Better!

Both Better!

Christian, I'm glad they are both better! All the best, Brian

Back