Two missed doses. PLease ehlp!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

On past Friday I missed my Warfarin dose. I do know then to double it up over the next two day - Saturday and Sunday. But... we went out for dinner on Saturday, when I usually take it and forgot again.

I am concerned and took 5 mgs this morning. I usually take 7.5 mgs day. If I take the difference over the next two day, along with my regular dose, will that not be too much. I am not sure what to do.

I seem to go for months and take my pills everyday, but then I make one error after another. I have no one I can call. Thank you

I agree that taking the 5mg this morning was a good idea. I recommend that you simply resume your your regular dose. There is too much risk of taking your INR too high doing anything else.

you have given no data about the valve type you have or your other conditions, so without knowing that I'll say that assuming you have a modern bileaflet valve like a St Judes, an ATS or On-X then the two or three days you may be below your target are likely to be insignificant.

If you were self testing then right now you would be gaining information instead of simply being in the dark and anxious. You would be learning what happens and if your were writing it down you'd be able to look back on it and understand ... for next time at least

Self test ... I can not recommend it highly enough.

Just buy a machine used on eBay and buy your own strips ... if you are an American you should believe in the free market right?

Also, get a pill box that is labelled in days. You say you take in the PM, so get in the habit of looking at it at breakfast, as a double check. If you see you've missed a pill in the morning take it immediately (or at least take 5mg) and then resume the next evening.

Mistakes happen ...

Hi guest. I agree with everything Pellicle has said - and also what you said re making no mistakes for ages then several in close succession! I lost my pill box recently, and whilst waiting for a replacement to arrive a few days later I missed my Warfarin dose for a day.

This is exactly why I take my dose in the morning. I have forgotten my morning pills twice in 5 years, but my evening pills, well I don't take any important ones in the evening for a reason. It is tough getting used to taking pills at first, since I didn't take anything before my surgery.

Jamey T;n873834 said:
This is exactly why I take my dose in the morning.........

Me too. My first activity of the day is always in my bathroom and I take all my daily pills at that time. There is an "old wives tale" that warfarin should be taken in the evening......wrong. Take it when you are not likely to forget it.

dick0236;n873860 said:
There is an "old wives tale" that warfarin should be taken in the evening......wrong. Take it when you are not likely to forget it.

interesting ... had never heard that ... but then I don't have an old wife.

Jamey T and dick0236 this has been an interesting point ... you may get me to swing to the morning ... after all I have a morning antibiotic (and lunch, and dinner) too ...

Thanks

I can't really speak to what you should do, but I have a daily alarm on my phone that pops up every day at 9pm and tells me "TAKE WARFARIN NOW!" I wouldn't remember without my alarm!

dick0236;n873860 said:
Me too. My first activity of the day is always in my bathroom and I take all my daily pills at that time. There is an "old wives tale" that warfarin should be taken in the evening......wrong. Take it when you are not likely to forget it.

My doctor wanted me to take my dose in the evening, only because that way they can make doseage adjustments before I took my pills. I don't take their recommended dosages either, as I prefer to take an even dosage all week as opposed to a large dose, two small doses, another large etc.

Jamey T;n873834 said:
This is exactly why I take my dose in the morning.

Me too. I've made it part of my morning routine so I don't forget.

Jamey T;n873890 said:
My doctor wanted me to take my dose in the evening, only because that way they can make doseage adjustments before I took my pills. I don't take their recommended dosages either, as I prefer to take an even dosage all week as opposed to a large dose, two small doses, another large etc.

The "INR Manager" at my cardiologist's office told me the same thing, take it in the evening so they can make dosage adjustments. I told her that I was sticking to mornings so I won't forget to take it and she acted like I was insane.

They never have to adjust my dose anyway because I adjust it on my own. When I listened to them my INR was all over the place. Now that I'm learning how to do it myself I realize how crazy their suggestions were..... skip a dose, double a dose or just add two large doses and see what happens! No thanks, I trust myself way more than I trust them!

Agian;n873902 said:
What, you can't adjust the dose if you take it in the morning?

Apparently not. At least according to those who "practice" medicine. ;)

I told my doctor I have a vested interest in making sure my numbers are stable, and he did agree with me.

Back