Trouble Sleeping?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mecretired

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am now 13 wks post surgery and am having a lot of trouble sleeping. Most of the time I can get to sleep OK but then wake up (my mind starts racing) and I can't get back to sleep. I may sleep fairly well every 3rd or 4th night--after I've lost enough sleep that I am just exhausted. Prior to surgery my surgeon told me to expect to wake up during the night and not be able to go back to sleep. At the time I was so overwhelmed that I didn't ask why or how long this might last. He has given me some 5mg Ambien but I don't like to take it more than 1 or 2 times a week. I try to nap but just can't seem to sleep during the day. I've cut way back on caffeine--none at all except for morning coffee. Other than this, I feel great. I'm doing cardiac rehab with no problems. I have no other problems--no pain. I'm still trying to get my INR regulated--I went off Amiodorone 7 wks ago. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I take the Ambien more often?

I went on like that for 7 years. I just threw the towel in last February and was found to have severe sleep apnea. This may or may not be your case, but I'm convinced that surgery does something to us. Most everyone has difficulty sleeping for various lengths of time. Now that I have my BiPAP machine, I'm now getting my 6 to 8 hours of sleep. The troubling part is, everytime I do sleep, I have nightmares and don't want to go back to sleep.

I would take the Ambien if it helps you. It did nothing for me. Xanax worked the best, but of course, that's only a short term solution. May try it if you don't think the Ambien is helping much.

As for your INR, you know I'm always willing to help someone get it straightened around.

Early in our recovery, naps are good and important but at 13 weeks, napping may be part of your problem. Though you are tired from lack of night sleep, it's a vicious circle if you nap during the day, you won't be able to sleep well at night. Try eliminating the naps and trudging through the 'tiredness' and see if that helps. I agree you need sleep so prudent use of the ambien is not a bad thing.

Good luck. I well remember the sleeping issues after my first OHS. I didn't have it quite so bad the second time. It does get better.

I have a hard time sleeping also. I'm almost 3 years out and I still can't sleep a full night. I go like that for days, then crash big time. Did that last night, got 12-13 hrs. Today I feel fine. I was checked for sleep apnea, but no? So I take it as it comes.

This easily ranks in the top 5 most common post-OHS problems, I would think. I think part of it is psychological. I remember waking up after short naps basically pinching myself to be sure I was still alive. :eek:

Most get over this after first substituting naps for a full night's sleep. Sleep will come, for most.

Some are able to use a sleep med for a short while, then go off it. After 5 1/2 years, I am still taking a low dose of a sleep aid that is not really supposed to be long-term but that several doctors have been fine with letting me continue indefinitely (probably for the duration). I am determined to keep it at the lowest dose. It gives me that little help toward a decent night's sleep. Of course, I would recommend trying to get back in normal sleep pattern without chemical help.

The xanax helped me the most. A very low dose. I don't care for the Ambien though. Try not to take it too long for every night. Personally if I take it every night ( unless it's very short term) I have rebound insomnia. Sleeping soundly has always been a bit of a problem for me. It was much worse however for about eight mos after surgery. Until I could sleep on my side I had to take the xanax. It took awhile to wean myself off. What works for me now is a good book, and a half to one full glass of merlot. I very seldom take the meds.

Good luck and take care

Yep, I'm a year post op and I do remember having trouble sleeping after my surgery. My cardiologist said it was a common problem and he recommended some sleeping pills so I could get my rest. I took his advice and took the sleeping pills for about a month and didn't have a problem sleeping once I stopped taking the pills. I don't recall which sleeping pill I took for that month.

I didn't do well with Ambien, either, but if it works for you, go for it. After about a week on Ambien I got really jittery and agitated, like I could just jump out of my skin, none of which was conducive to sleep either. :eek:

Have you tried any of the OTC PM meds, like Tylenol PM, etc.? The acitve ingredient in them is diphenhydramine, which is generic for Benadryl (anit-histamine that makes you sleepy) and is pretty safe. If that works for you, buy the diphenhydramine and save a few $$ over the fancier names.

I've found lately that the more physically tired I am at night, the better it is to sleep. So if you push yourself a little bit more physically, it may help.

Ambien is the wrong drug to KEEP you asleep UNLESS you have the long-acting Ambien-CR form. In the standard tableted form it is very short-acting.

I didn't do well with Ambien, either, but if it works for you, go for it. After about a week on Ambien I got really jittery and agitated, like I could just jump out of my skin, none of which was conducive to sleep either. :eek:

Have you tried any of the OTC PM meds, like Tylenol PM, etc.? The acitve ingredient in them is diphenhydramine, which is generic for Benadryl (anit-histamine that makes you sleepy) and is pretty safe. If that works for you, buy the diphenhydramine and save a few $$ over the fancier names.

I've found lately that the more physically tired I am at night, the better it is to sleep. So if you push yourself a little bit more physically, it may help.

To carry the thought of OTC sleep aids a step further, you don't need the Tylenol PM if you are just looking for the drowsy factor. Tylenol makes a product called Simply Sleep with is Benedryl without the pain killing feature of Tylenol.

Save money and buy the generic.

To carry the thought of OTC sleep aids a step further, you don't need the Tylenol PM if you are just looking for the drowsy factor. Tylenol makes a product called Simply Sleep with is Benedryl without the pain killing feature of Tylenol.

Save money and buy the generic.

Yeah, that was my whole point: just buy generic Benadryl which is diphenhydramine. I imagine it costs less than Tylenol's Simply Sleep.

Latest posts

Back