Trileaflet mechanical heart valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pekster11

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
The risk of blood clots forming and hence the need to use life long anti-coagulants is the recognised main draw back of current MHV..
The current bi-leaflet design is certainly superior in its design to the early MHV.

However, I've just scanned the internet and noticed that 5-10 years ago research and testing was being carried out on a further improvement..the tri-leaflet MHV that more accurately mimics a native heart valve, and has the potential for no long term anticoagulant treatment.

Does anyone know how this research is progressing and whether the next generation of MHV, the tri-leaflet is to be used on human patients anytime soon ??

As an engineer by training, that was my first question when my surgeon showed me a tissue and mechanical valve. why can't we have a tri-flap; I guess someone already thought of that. Another question was, why can't you have a pericardial layer on either side of the mechanical valve flap to create a hybrid valve that resists calcification. Maybe someone will read this and be inspired to build a valve that lasts a long time without any medication; in time for my July 6th surgery would be even nicer :)

As an engineer by training, that was my first question when my surgeon showed me a tissue and mechanical valve. why can't we have a tri-flap; I guess someone already thought of that. Another question was, why can't you have a pericardial layer on either side of the mechanical valve flap to create a hybrid valve that resists calcification. Maybe someone will read this and be inspired to build a valve that lasts a long time without any medication; in time for my July 6th surgery would be even nicer :)

I hear ya! These Russians do amazing stuff with the heart.

Back