Tricuspid valve leaking/Please Pray for me

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NascarfanMary

After feeling bad for awhile, I saw my Dr. He quickly sent me to Cardio. While there found out valve was leaking. After some testing I was told that I also have pulmonary hypertension.

I had the mitral valve replaced in Dec 2003. Now the tricuspid is leaking!!! He can hear a murmer there. How is this possible? Tests show the heart is enlarged. Monday Feb 19 I meet with Cardio to discuss next step.

Due to congenital heart, I ask to be sent back to Cleveland since they have done the 3 previous surgeries. Dr. Duncan (pediatric/adult congenital surgeon) knows me well!!

I have been searching info about tricuspid/pulmonary hypertension. It has been worrisome. I am a wreck! I just don't think I am healthy enough (Alot of other medical problems) for a 4th OH.

Does anyone here at our VR family have any info about all of this? Could you pass it on? And by the way, please send another prayer upward for me. I know God can take care of this, he has bigger and broader shoulders than I do. Please say an extra prayer for my son Justin!! (nascar08), as he , my husband, and I go thru this.

Thanks everyone!! I will keep you updated.

Mary,

I can't help with the valve problem you are having but I will start prayers for you and your family.

You should know that you ARE strong enought for a 4th OHS. It is obvious that you love your life and your family. Your strength will come from that love.

Hopefully there might be things they can do to make you feel better without immediate surgical intervention.

I am sorry you are facing this issue but I do believe you have the willpower and stamina to make it through. We will help you also.

Mary, I am so sorry to hear about this latest hurdle for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for the best for you. I'm sure your husband and son would be nowhere else but beside you.

I guess sometimes we think that we can't over come life's barriers. But as I think about it God has always been there and I have over came alot.

Sometimes just hearing some words of encouragement, shines a brighter light on everything. The family that I have here at this website, is a comfort to me, even puts laughter in my day, it is a place I can come to where others have been before me. (with alot of info and support)

I can feel free and talk about just anything. The good & the bad. I truely love my extended VR family. I may not post replies alot but I do pray for others and I try to read all the threads.

I just am scared over this valve leaking and you could say I am a bit of a worry wart. Thanks for your encouragement.

Mary I can imagine how you must be feeling. Did they say how much it is leaking? IF it helps any Justin's TRicus leaks, but not enough to be a concern, hopefully your will be the same. Since you have CHD, is it possible your heart is lways enlarged? I don't know about your heart, but Justin is always enlarged so maybe that will be ok too. I'm sorry just looking for the bright spots in a stnking situation, I DO know that prayers do help and you are in mine, Lyn

Mary,

I can't even begin to imagine the stress you are under right now. I realize it's not the main thing in your thought process right now, but there are many, many people praying for you and keeping you warm in their thoughts. Obviously, you have come through a great deal in the past and this may be just one more hurdle you have to overcome. I'm sure if anyone can do it, you, with your history, certainly can.

Jan

Hi Mary -

I'm sorry to read this and I sure feel for your worries! I hope it all turns out to be a mild issue for you! Can you do a search on pulmonary hypertension here? I think I recall reading some posts about it. Maybe you could PM those who have personal experience with it also? Hope it goes well for you. Post again and take care.

Mary,
My prayers will be with you and your family.
I would like to share some of the things God has been showing me over the last few days as I prepare for my Ross Procedure.
First: He keeps reminding me to go to the first scripture I ever learned. That is Psalm 23. I read it again and again and am reminded of how much He loves me. He will not take me to anyplace and just leave me there. He will go with me. He will do the same for you.
I also keep being led back to Philippians 4:13---"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." How awesome a promise is that?!?! He reminded me of this on Saturday morning as I was preparing to speak to parents at halftime of Upward basketball at church. I had something else totally prepared but God said to change.
Finally , I know this surgery is necessary. And no matter what the outcome I figure I am either going to feel so much better (and be here on Earth stiil) or feel great beyond belief (at Home with Him). Either way---I win!!!!

Peace of Christ,
Don

Hi Mary. I too am sorry you are having to deal with this right now. I too believe God will give you strength as you need it.

I had my mitral valve replaced in August 2003 and also have the tricuspid leakage and pulmonary hypertension. I had that even before the valve replacement but the last year or so it has worsened. I have found out that sometimes when the cause of the pulmonary hypertension stems from the heart and not the lungs themselves then the pulmonary hypertension may be venous pulmonary hypertension rather than pulmonary arterial hypertension. The pressures are still high within the lungs and can certainly do damage but the venous hypertension doesn't seem to have such a bleak outlook.

I have only had one OHS and I really feel for you right now. I will be gone for several weeks and may not be on the board but you will be in my prayers for sure. I don't know if there is a surgical procedure that is appropriate or not since the tricuspid leakage is often the result of the elevated pulmonary pressure so if that can be lowered then the leakage should be lower. Anyway, at this time my treatment consists of a lot of diuretics, an ace inhibitor, nitro and very low salt diet. I am not on a beta blocker and that might be the next drug added. When I was on a calcium channel blocker then it made things worse for me but in a sizeable percentage of patients it really works well. Do let us know how it goes and I will tune in if I get a chance. Cyber-hugs to you!

Mary, it would be very reasonable for you to feel like Job, sitting among the ashes. Keep relying on your faith for strength. I will pray that you are given a good solution to this most recent problem.

bvdr said:
Hi Mary. I too am sorry you are having to deal with this right now. I too believe God will give you strength as you need it.

I had my mitral valve replaced in August 2003 and also have the tricuspid leakage and pulmonary hypertension. I had that even before the valve replacement but the last year or so it has worsened. I have found out that sometimes when the cause of the pulmonary hypertension stems from the heart and not the lungs themselves then the pulmonary hypertension may be venous pulmonary hypertension rather than pulmonary arterial hypertension. The pressures are still high within the lungs and can certainly do damage but the venous hypertension doesn't seem to have such a bleak outlook.

I have only had one OHS and I really feel for you right now. I will be gone for several weeks and may not be on the board but you will be in my prayers for sure. I don't know if there is a surgical procedure that is appropriate or not since the tricuspid leakage is often the result of the elevated pulmonary pressure so if that can be lowered then the leakage should be lower. Anyway, at this time my treatment consists of a lot of diuretics, an ace inhibitor, nitro and very low salt diet. I am not on a beta blocker and that might be the next drug added. When I was on a calcium channel blocker then it made things worse for me but in a sizeable percentage of patients it really works well. Do let us know how it goes and I will tune in if I get a chance. Cyber-hugs to you!
Mary,
My story is similar to Betty's, but I had my aortic valve replaced. I now deal with tricuspid leakage and moderate pulmonary hypertension. Like Betty, I battle an agressive case of fluid retention with diuretics and a very low sodium diet. I am on a beta blocker, and I feel better since I have been on it.
Sometimes it is discouraging, so I can only imagine how you must feel considering the # of surgeries you have all ready gone through. However, from what I've read on the Forum, tricuspid problems aren't as threatening as having problems with your other valves.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Mary

Hello!

I am going to post under another thread, an update on my husband's tricuspid valve repair that took place on Wednesday, Valentine;s Day. I think you might get some information there!

Marybeth

Mary,

Very sorry about the new news for you :(.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's time to take a leap of faith" ... Steven Curtis Chapman ... 'Dive'

Thanks everyone who has posted above. Your support is awsome!!:) Monday seems so far away. The thing that bears on my mind, is Dr. said the chest pains that I am having, couldn't be a result of the valve leaking.:confused:

I had alot of chest pain before the mitral valve was replaced(2003). Alot of heart failure, which I have now. My ankel, legs, eyelids and stomach are swelled. I take 40mg of Lasix 3x a day. new pill Imdur, which is suppose to take some stress off the heart. Lanoxin, coumadin, and nitro.(and many others for several health issues)

I feel as tho a big mack truck has hit me. (Couldn't get the license plate):eek: I can't lift anything the past few days!!! Laundry basket fills like a ton brick.

Wish I could just get a new heart!!! Someday I will have a brand new one when I get to Heaven. No more pain, no MORE MEDICINE, And no more DRS. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Similar problem with my son's heart

Similar problem with my son's heart

My son had the Ross-Konno at 4 months old (in 2000) and has been due for another donor pulm. valve for years now (they keep saying "it's time" and then "nevermind". Anyway, long story short, because his donor pulm. valve is failing, his right ventricle is enlarged quite a bit (nearly as large as his left). There is also blood backing up (from his stenotic/insufficient pulm. valve) that is causing his tricuspid valve to leak.

What I'm saying is -- could your pulmonary valve have problems causing this to happen?

Sorry you're dealing with this. Good luck getting it sorted out. Right now my son is on no meds (they say none will help, just surgery) but he's due to go back to the cardiologist next month to probably set up a summer surgery.

Answers today? Hopefully

I wonder the same thing about the pulmonary valve. My appointment is later today at 3pm. I have taken alot of info given here and wrote lots of things down that others have suggested and other questions I want to ask.

I asked Justin to go along with me, be my chauffuer. He will be able to tell Dr. just how bad I have felt over the 3 days. My family talked over the weekend and I agree if surgery is needed, I will have it done. I will let God take care of it.

I spent many hours reading here and on other sites about this. There are many great people here offering support, prayers and their personal experience and I SAY "THANK YOU".

As soon as possible or when we return home. Justin or I will update and hopefully be able to give you good news or at least a plan of what is next. Thank you all. Keep praying for me.

Update

Update

I saw Cardio. He is very concerned about all the chest pain that I have been having. He thinks that, along with the valve leaking, I have some coronary blockage.

Thurs. Feb 22, I will have a cardiolite stress test. I have never had one before. But he feels it needs to be done. He stated hear could hear the valve leaking, how bad we don't know.

I wanted to call my surgeon at Cleveland to have him check this out. I am more worried about the valve since the murmmer sounded louder than last week. It is definetly leaking.

The next step will be a heart cath. I just wish we could by pass all of these tests and just get the valve taken care of. But i know there are things that have to been done first. He added an extra lasix that is now 4 a day. The pulmonary hypertension has increased.

I wonder if I will have to have bypass along with valve surgery. That would be very hard. I cried so much last night, that my husband was so upset. He usually is the strong one and stays calm. I couldn't eat or sleep.

I have never done well with a stress test before. So I am hoping I can get thru this one ok. Has anyone else had the cardiolite test before? Please continue to pray for me.

Back