Tricuspid valve insufficiency after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of us have trivial/mild leakage of the tri or pulm valve after AVR, but I don't know what qualifies as
tri valve insufficiency in your case. My own thoughts are that my new AV has lots of power that the other
valves are not accustomed to dealing with.

The heart remodels (reshapes to be more like its old, smaller self) after the surgery. This often temporarily causes roller-coaster changes in blood pressure, runs of arrhythmias, and usually insignificant leakages in the other valves as the heart readjusts itself to the healing nerve nad muscle tissue and rapidly diminishing size. Sometimes the valve's leaflets don't "seat" right for a while on an enlarged heart or one that is rapidly changing shape.

If your insufficiency (regurgitation, leakage) in the tricuspid valve is listed as "trivial," then it is immaterial. Trivial insufficiencies come and go in any of the heart valves, including in 100% normal hearts, all the time, and can even result from how you are positioned for the echo. It is highly likely that it won't be there the next echo you have, or maybe the one after that. "Trivial" leakage is considered completely benign.

A "mild" tricuspid leak is not considered to have a negative impact on the operation of the heart. It may stick around, or it may go away as remodelling progresses. It will have no effect on your recovery, and as long as it isn't progressing or accompanied by other insufficiencies, it should have no real effect on your heart or its functioning in the forseeable future.

Best wishes,

So my heart is in a remodelling state! Wow!
My bloodpressure changes can be compare with a rollercoaster, indeed. Trivial and Pulmonaris valves are leaking (mild) after AVR.
Before surgery my HR at rest was 60. At this time, a couple of weeks after surgery, the lowest value of my HR is 75. Mostly the time it beats about 85-90 a minute.
My heartrate changes are like a rollercoaster as well.

Something else: Echo report before AVR: LVH (severe), after AVR: no LVH

LVH disappears immediately after AVR??? I'm impressed.

A few days ago i've triggered severe heartpalpitations for about 50 minutes after my heartrate peaks above 115. Ambulance was on the way but could return.
The heartpalpitations stopped (and i was lucky).
I didn't know but the max HR limit is 105 (and i can feel it)

But how long does the 'remodelling' of your heart take? Weeks? Months? One year?

Elevated Resting Heart Rates after OHS are VERY COMMON.
Most Surgeons are not too concerned as long as they are below 120 bpm.
And yes, they tend to Rise Rapidly with exertion.
This will pass in time. It just takes longer than we would like.
That's the nature of recovery from OHS.
Daily walking and moderate exercise as tolerated will eventually work
to restore conditioning and normal heartrates.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back