Traveling out of state for next heart surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhusker2

Hello again! After having over 12 great years with an Edwards Bovine Mitral valve, unfortunately it's time for a 2nd surgery (due to severe stenosis).I will need to travel out of state this time around, therefore wanted to get feedback from the forum regarding the average time needed for recovery before traveling back home (OH to FL in this case)? Additionally, did you fly or drive? Thanks in advance!

Hi.
I'm sorry to hear that you need a 2nd surgery after just 12 years. I looked at a couple of your previous posts and noted that you had opted to go with a tissue valve at age 40. You mentioned that your surgeon informed you that your valve should last a lot longer than previous generations, due to the anti-calcification Thermaflex technology used by Edwards Life Sciences for your valve. You indicated that you expected to get 15+ years from this valve, given the new treatment. Bummer that this was not the case.

I find it interesting that hopes are often lifted with new technology before there is evidence that it really is as good as the marketing suggests. The new technology being heavily promoted is the Edwards Inspiris Resilia, like Thermaflex, it uses an anti-calcification treatment. There is once again hope that this new technology will enable tissue valves to last longer than previous generations. But, at this point it is not yet known. It makes me wonder if it is appropriate for cardiologists and surgeons to raise the hope and expectations in young patients about their valves lasting longer than the data would suggest they would for a young person. I'd be curious to know if you plan to go tissue again or mechanical. It sounds like you are about age 52, which is still considered young in the valve world. That might be a tough call. If you do not want to share, that is totally understood.

Best of luck with your upcoming procedure. There are a lot of folks here who have travelled out of state and I'm sure that you can get some good feedback.

Hi

After having over 12 great years with an Edwards Bovine Mitral valve, unfortunately it's time for a 2nd surgery (due to severe stenosis).I
Sorry to read that (always makes me a bit upset because I know what its like to go through redo surgeries). I'm just wondering what you'll pick this time? I'm wondering because your bio doesn't show your age and wonder if you're picking to try to make #2 and done or setting up for more interventions in the future on the hopes that "this time it'll last"

If you are now over 65 then another Tissue may see you avoid warfarin (anti-coagulation therapy) but may not because on a redo you are more likely to come out with arrhythmias such as afib which will predicate ACT anyway.

Your last valve suffered SVD which would have been entirely predictable based on the science that existed last time you made your choice. Perhaps you hoped for another 2 or 3 years, but the reality is well described here:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.018506
ACT is pretty easy to manage (indeed I'm currently writing a book about that) and you can find post after post after post here where people write something like "I thought it would be hard, but its easy".

Lastly the usual (mis or uninformed) opinion is that "I'm too active and don't want restrictions" ... are you more active than this lady?

https://www.newsweek.com/my-turn-climbing-everest-bionic-heart-99749
clarifying myths or truths should be what the goal of informing one's self is.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
I live in Central FL and had surgery at CC in Cleveland. Had 3 days of preop testing, surgery on a Thursday AM, went back to the Hotel on Mon PM and was flew home on Thus AM which was a day ahead of the schedule.

Of course, it all depends on each individual case, but I think that's the SOP for out of town CC paitents getting AVR and or AA surgery.

HTH

I had my first OHS in 2001 at Duke. After I was released from the hospital I stayed there a couple more days in a local hotel, but I flew to Chicago I believe 8 or 9 days after my surgery. If you inform the hospital/surgeon, they will advise you when you can fly home assuming no complications.

I live in Central FL and had surgery at CC in Cleveland. Had 3 days of preop testing, surgery on a Thursday AM, went back to the Hotel on Mon PM and was flew home on Thus AM which was a day ahead of the schedule.

Of course, it all depends on each individual case, but I think that's the SOP for out of town CC paitents getting AVR and or AA surgery.

HTH
Does CC mean Cleveland Clinic? I hadminimally invasive mitral & tricuspid valve repair + Cox Maze at the Cleveland in London UK - superb service, I am almost ready for return to work after 3 weeks and 4 days!

I had surgery at CCF, and once they released me after the surgery, they asked that we stay in town over the weekend before flying back to TN.
Cheers,
Rob

Latest posts

Back