Transportation to doc appts?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValveAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
How do you get there and back if you need help and cannot drive at the time. Family members must work and cannot drop everything all the time.

The people are 71 lady and 85 hubby. 71 is the usual driver, but her legs go to rubber for a few days at a time and no doc can figure it out. So she's not driving.

The one family member nearby needs to work and not drop things for their doc appts.

So what do they do to get to doc appts? 85 yr old does not have driver's license due to bad eyes, but has not been tested since cataract replacements.

Its a vexing one and more so now that I live out here in the bush.
So far when I've been too weak to drive there have been friends.

In Australia there are services, some are provided by "community" others by government (for ex-servicemen for instance)

https://www.qld.gov.au/community/ge...ome-care-services/community-transport-program
My friend John (who sadly passed away a couple of years back) was availed of the service for servicemen, but occasionally I'd be his adjutant and drive him places. It was a consideration for me moving specifically to here, when I returned from Finland in 2017

Most communities have a PACE program (Program for All-inclusive Care of the Elderly) that can transport folks to and from medical visits. It’s organized by cms but locally operated. Some are no cost, others on a sliding fee schedule. Some even take folks on shopping trips. Do a search for what’s available in your area.

I've taken Uber on trips that I wasn't sure I'd be driving back from within hours - trips to the E.R. being one of the most usual kinds of trips.

Here in Los Angeles, there are programs for rides to places (not only doctor's offices) - called Access. There are other programs, too.

Some Medicare plans also have transportation services included in the plan. (Mine does, but I don't use it). I suggest that these people check with their Medicare plan to see if transportation is already included, then check their place of worship (if they have one) to see if someone can help them, or check with local municipalities to see what they can offer.

How do you get there and back if you need help and cannot drive at the time. Family members must work and cannot drop everything all the time.

The people are 71 lady and 85 hubby. 71 is the usual driver, but her legs go to rubber for a few days at a time and no doc can figure it out. So she's not driving.

The one family member nearby needs to work and not drop things for their doc appts.

So what do they do to get to doc appts? 85 yr old does not have driver's license due to bad eyes, but has not been tested since cataract replacements.
I go by bus, crossing the Missouri River to get to my cardio and other doctors and nurses appointments. I do not know if there is a bus service where you are located. And would not ride with someone with no driver's license.

Here in Florida I volunteer with a company by the name of Elder Care Services that administers our Meals on Wheels program and also provides transportation to doctor's offices and grocery stores to anyone who can't drive. At least once a week I take someone to an appointment, sit in the waiting room and read a book, and then take them home. It is a free service and I suspect that most communities have a similar organization.

So far they've found out a service that they need to pay for, and one of the daughters has offered to pay a monthly charge. Seems all they can find for the unexpected is family that is near. And like all of you know - money is a big factor.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

You cannot use Uber, taxi, or bus here in California USA. There are care services but all are very expensive. My hospital is a 45+ minute drive one way when no traffic. Round trip can cost $2000. I hate to ask any family or friend. I paid someone $300 for the last procedure. He only picked me up at the hospital and gave me a ride to my car in the parking lot. For my OHS I paid $1000 for two round trip rides including a prep procedure 2 weeks before because the person I initially spoke to made a mistake and the owner honored it at their expense. When my insurance had local facilities a one way ride was as little as $35 and $50. I would drive myself there then after I got the required ride home by a suitable person (a retired nurse owns and operates the care service) I would either walk or bus back to get my car. For all of my post-OHS weekly lab work I was driving myself. I could not walk as far as the bus stop which was blocks away. I was probably more careful driving than 75% of the other drivers. But if something happened I would not survive the airbag deployment. I had no other options except ignore lab work.

Last edited:
Wow. Some of you have had hard times of it. Today aunt was told 6 months no driving. We are figuring out the next two weeks of appointments they have, then we will go from there. Their kids from other states are trying to help them figure things out. Kids are where they are for jobs, and aunt/uncle have all their doctors here and don't want to have to find and educate new docs about themselves.
So, they are still trying the senior drive businesses, but none do more than a taxi and are expensive. So, we will see what comes of all this.

If we find any brilliant ideas I'll share them so they might benefit others.

We have a "community cares" mailing list for people to offer rides, cook meals and so on. The city also can provide transportation. And the municipal bus line has vans which are not too expensivee.

Latest posts

Back