Trading In Old Docs For Two New Ones

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwhitney

Iwill be going to see the first of two new MDS this week . ThisDoc is an Internist. I feel like my problems have gone beyond the abilities of my family practice doc. In January I will also begin seeing A new cardiologist. He is actually one that I saw A very long time ago. Since I hate my present cardiologist and rarely willingly see him. I only see him if I am hospitalized and my family doctor consults him.Anyone else have the sam or similar problem?

Lettitia

I didn't care for my first cardio; I preferred seeing his nurse practitioner instead. The cardio allowed us each 10 minutes, but the nurse took all the time we needed and I felt so helped by him. When I learned of one of their group opening a once a week office here in my town, I switched because a 150 mi trip to see the first one was a burden. Now I only have to go uptown to see this one; he is affable, caring, and I just love him. His office is efficient and they answer my questions with one phone call. So nice.

I think of you often, Letitia. I always remember the tough times you have had, how we lost you, found you and here you are, still perkin along with the rest of us. Blessins.......

I have no choice with my cardiologist, the one I was using is adorable, handsome, clever and had a lovely manner but alas he will not be coming here in future so I have had to change and so far I am not impressed with this one. My GP is a real poppet, perfect in every way, you can talk to him, cry, rant, rave - whatever. As I said in another post, he keeps me sane.

Hi Lettitia,

Hi Lettitia,

lcwhitney said:
Iwill be going to see the first of two new MDS this week . ThisDoc is an Internist. I feel like my problems have gone beyond the abilities of my family practice doc. In January I will also begin seeing A new cardiologist. He is actually one that I saw A very long time ago. Since I hate my present cardiologist and rarely willingly see him. I only see him if I am hospitalized and my family doctor consults him.Anyone else have the sam or similar problem?

Lettitia

HI Lettitia, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I changed my cardiologist in September because I really dislike my old one. He is arrogant, dismissive, and very unapproachable. When he was speaking to me or I to him, he would keep looking at my notes, and I would be sitting there thinking ''how can you listen to me or speak to me if your reading''.
Im in exactly the same situation as you in as far as, if I need to be hospatilized I would have to see him, as he is the only cardio in my local hospital. So I live in dread of ending up in hospital...thats not the only reason, but it is one of them. Actually, even my GP dislikes my old cardio, and has voiced her opinion of him to me more than once. Her words to me on one occosion was ''I dont think he likes women, I have other female patients complaining about him''..so at least I knew it wasnt just me. The last time I saw him his exact words to me were ''Go home and soldier on''...I kid you not. So that was it, I decided then and there to NEVER see him again. I could go on and on about him, but I think you get the picture. *Best Wishes, Jacqui

I couldn't pass this thread by. I, too am cardio shopping. There are quite a few in my area to choose from, but I'm not sure how my insurance will react to me seeing them all;) . The one I have seen most since my move here is also arrogant and dismissive and has absolutely NO bedside manner. His office staff are also rude and dismissive. I don't know how they stay in business! I had my PCP (who I LOVE, thank God) refer me to someone...ANYONE...else. Unfortunately, the new one spent more time looking at HIMSELF in the mirror than he did looking at me:( And, every time I began to say the word "bicuspid" he would interrupt to tell me I didn't have a bicuspid valve--it was removed in my first surgery:eek: :eek: :eek: He seemed nice enough (though self-absorbed) but definitely not up-to-date on BAVD. It is SO frustrating.

I had a wonderful cardio when I lived in Northern NJ. I found him because I was sitting in the ER waiting for my then current cardio/internist to show up or call the ER for instructions (he never did). The ER nurse told me of a cardio that had just started practicing who was great. I called him and we started a partnership that lasted 9 years and 2 OHS.

When I moved back to Ohio, I went to see a "recommended" cardio - "possibly the best in the city". What an arrogant, lack of personality person he was. I never made it through the first appointment - got up and left. Since his office was next to the hospital, I immediately went to the ER and the OH recovery areas and started talking to the nurses. One cardio's name kept coming up as capable AND nice. I went to see him and we were "together" for 2 years until he went back to practicing ER medicine full time. I interviewed the cardio that replaced him in the practice. He was another newly practicing cardio who had not even yet passed his boards. 15 years and 1 OHS surgery later, we are still partners in my care. We can talk, I have his cell phone and home numbers (have only used them twice), and he is the nicest, most human doctor I have ever met.

I found my current PCP the same way - talking to the nurses at the hospital.

Don't be afraid to just dump a doctor who does not listen to you. There are good ones out there but you have to be willing to do your homework. Nurses are the best source for identifying the good doctors. Visit your hospital and ask.

Having gone through (fired) 4 cardios when I was having so many problems pre-surgery and finally finding a gem, I'm totally supportive of not sticking with a doctor you don't like. My issue was I got 4 cardios in a row who had varying degrees of the belief that someone as young as I was couldn't have heart issues.

When my cardio retired, I went with the one he recommended and I have been with her about 8 years now. Being 2 for 6 when it comes to cardios has made me highly skeptical about what most know of valve disease.

I was just wonderring if any of you considerred looking for a cardiologst that specializes in adults with CHD? since most of the regular adult cardiologist deal mainly with patents w/ aquired heart disease and all that goes along with that(food excercise other bad habits), maybe a doctor that specializes in adults with CHD and structural heart problems would be worth a try. they are a pretty new field since until fairly recently the kids born with complex CHDs didn't make it to adulthood, but the achaheart site has a great listing of centers by state, even if it is just a matter of contacting one and asking for a 2nd opinion, from your records to see if you want to let them be your doctor. This week Justin had his first appt w/ the adult chd center in Philly (chop/u of P)and I was really impressed, he is still going to be followed by his ped card who started folloing justin when he as a day old, but now will have both docs. right now it works well especially since the surgeon that did his last surg is part of the team and Dr Webb wrote the bethesda guidleines for alot of the adult/chd. Lyn

Why are some of these people in the medical industry if they appear to dislike and are evidently disgusted by ill people:mad:?!

I was referred for years to "The" Cardiology Group near us, which has several cardiologists. Over the years I saw most of them at one time or another and became more and more shocked and disgusted by their, well I'll put it delicately, "lack of care." The last guy was so incredibly rude and dismissive that he went so far as to argue with me as I described how I felt. He would answer, "No you don't," as I would describe what I thought might be symptoms I was having.

But I had taken my husband with me too that visit because I was really thinking maybe the communications problems were on my side. I was intimidated and bewildered. Really, could they all be lousy? Yes they were and my husband was flabbergasted also.

I think a lot of those lousy doctors are trying to hide their inadequacies behind their displays of arrogance and I have found that rude girls in the front office usually indicate rudeness, or worse, trickling down from the top, the doctor.

If you can, take someone caring and observant with you. Sometimes that will help a doctor to show more attention. But if it doesn't, well, he's probably a real [expletive deleted].

One side point about the cardiologist office I USE to go to: they specialize in pharmaceutical studies. They are FAT CATS. I don't think they really want to cure anyone. That rude cardio really did me a favor in the long run because I took better initiative to research my own medical needs.

I'm writing this quickly and I can't get the spellcheck to work so, my apologies for any misspellings.

I loved my family doctor, but there came a time when I realized that I needed a doctor who could more sufficiently treat one who is no longer young. Internists have more specialized training and generally their offices offer more services, like lab tests, ekgs, etc. So, I kissed Dr. B. my lovely doctor of 20 years good bye and went on. I have not regreted the move.

Two years ago my internist ordered tests and found that I had several cysts on my ovaries. For postmenopausal women, this is not normal and could indicate or lead to problems. I went to one doctor who wanted to cut from "belly button to playground" (his words) because I might have cancer and he would then need a "place big enough to get his elbow in there." Another doctor wanted to do the surgery but have a gynecological surgeon in the operating room, just in case....hummmmm. Then, the third doctor, who wasn't interested elbow room or a surgeon assistant, thought I'd be better off if I didn't get myself excited about medical information that is confusing. So....I went to the Mayo Clinic and the procedure was done laproscopically, outpatient, and I went home the same day. Recovery with Doctors 1-2-3 would have been months long...My recovery from Mayo was 5 days. On the sixth day, I wanted to go dancing.

My point in all of this is rather like the saying, "You have to kiss alot of frogs before you find your handsome prince." Move on. It's hard to do, but do it.

Warmest regards,
Blanche

Lynlw said:
I was just wonderring if any of you considerred looking for a cardiologst that specializes in adults with CHD? since most of the regular adult cardiologist deal mainly with patents w/ aquired heart disease and all that goes along with that(food excercise other bad habits), maybe a doctor that specializes in adults with CHD and structural heart problems would be worth a try. they are a pretty new field since until fairly recently the kids born with complex CHDs didn't make it to adulthood, but the achaheart site has a great listing of centers by state, even if it is just a matter of contacting one and asking for a 2nd opinion, from your records to see if you want to let them be your doctor. This week Justin had his first appt w/ the adult chd center in Philly (chop/u of P)and I was really impressed, he is still going to be followed by his ped card who started folloing justin when he as a day old, but now will have both docs. right now it works well especially since the surgeon that did his last surg is part of the team and Dr Webb wrote the bethesda guidleines for alot of the adult/chd. Lyn

Very good idea Lyn! If I ever have to go cardio shopping again I will definitely follow your advice. While my valve issue has never been dx'd as CHD, it still stands to reason that a doctor dealing with adult CHD issues would be able to understand my issues much more than the "run 'o the mill" cardio.

I'm glad you felt good about Justin's first appt!

Blanche - so glad you continued to look and ended up with a good outcome.

Lyn I have looked fora cardiologist who specializes in CHD . There is not one within 100miles of where I live.UNFORNUTINATELY 100 miles is about the limit of my travel tolerence since my stroke.

I knew my family prac guy had to gowhen one of his so called nurses asked if I had a history of heart problems and why I was taking coumadin. Now I call that just plain stupid!!

Lettitia:(

Latest posts

Back