Toprol XL - Did you ever get a sore throat with it?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Premium Level User
I was just put on a generic for Toprol XL and suddenly have a strange kind of sore throat. I can't seem to find whether this is a possible side effect or not. I've only taken it for two days.

Anyone have a similar experience and if so did it go away, or did you find any relief by switching to the name brand, or can you offer any other experience?

I was put on it for excessive PVCs :frown2: which the stuff seems to have immediately resolved for me :smile2:

Editing to add what this generic is called: metoprolol succinate 25mg.

Last edited:
I didn't have a sore throat from using Toprol XL. I didn't notice any difference to the regular twice a day Metoprolol.
The active ingredient is the same, it is a micro coating process that causes the slow release.
I am not certain how generics work in the US. In Australia they must be the same as the original patented brand name product, so the only difference is the price.

Lily,
Sounds like an allergic reaction to me, or at the least a sensitivity to something in the med, not a side effect, . Maybe you can try another brand of the same drug to see if it goes away.
John

You may want to talk with your Pharmacist about your reaction.

Or, you may have just coincidentally come down with a sore throat.

'AL Capshaw'

Thank you very much for your replies. I appreciate every one of them. The sore throat may have been just a strange one-day thing. After I posted this question, I searched further here and saw a link that said a sore throat can be a "rare" side effect of that med.

I wondered that too, AL, though it was a strange sore throat.
I think you're right, John, probably a "sensitivity" for me.
OldManEmu, this generic is probably coated in Teflon or some other vile thing :rolleyes2:

But the next day I took it I got nauseated and dizzy, called the doctor about that, and was told to try taking it with food. They said my next option, if it continues to bother me, is to cut it in half and try that.

So I'll try it again, see if I can get past any side effects. It really seems to knock down the PVCs. Yesterday the nurse said I was having over 15,000 of them a day :eek2:

But I hope I won't have to be on it for a long-term. Mary, did you find something else worked instead?

Thanks again :)

............see if I can get past any side effects. ........
........... said I was having over 15,000 of them a day :eek2:.
..............Thanks again :)

Lily,

I personally and unfortunately do not do well on many of the generic medications.

Vicodin, for example, was great after surgery in every way, while the generic altered my moods and made me extremely aggitated! When we got the Brand name another day, I was fine. I decided to go back to the generic just to test if that incidence was just a co-incidence...it was not! The same aggitation and frustration came back after two hours of taking the pills.

The Pharmacist told my hubby that I was not the only one who reported that!

Now, since I started Fluxotene, the generic Prozac, two months ago, my PVCs are way up to over 10'000 a day. I use my stetoscope to detect them. I took Prozac (brand name) before and after surgery...I had a few PVCs that were decreasing! I will be able to tell only tell only by switching to Prozac.

I take Toprol the brand name, and did not have any reaction to it. It is the top of the line for PVCs treatment.

Were you told the cause of your increased PVCs? more than 15'000?!

Did you have a Holter or event Monitor?
How did the nurse know how many PVCs? Do you know the cause of the increased PVCs?

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder, Eva. I've had less-than-favorable results with a few generic medications before also.

The PVCs (all 15,218 :eek2:) were caught on a 24 hour holter monitor. (I finally got the hard copy report in the mail.) Happily I'm in a normal sinus rhythm also but over 14% of my heartbeats are these lousy things, as per the report. I've been struggling with this off and on (mostly on) for the last couple of years. I think the med must be helping because my heartbeat sounded much better on my bp machine the other day, nice and even instead of so many off-beats.

When the PVCs first became a significant problem a couple of years ago the cardio found (with a simple blood test) that my minerals were also out of balance. He tried me on a few different things and then I finally ended up switching bp meds because the previous one (Micardis) seemed to be contributing to a lot of cumulative issues for me, including the mineral imbalance. The change seemed to help me for a time.

I'm a bit confused about it all now though and don't really know the "cause" of the PVCs; but my valve opening has gotten smaller and I hope it's not related to that.

I'm feeling a bit sluggish with this beta blocker and will probably give it another week before I try anything different. Thanks again for your post :)

I gave up on that medication. Broke it in half for a few days first. Just bothered me too much. Annoying tight headache and feeling very sluggish. But I'm glad I gave up on it because I called the cardio's office to tell them and now they're going to have me on some type of cardiac surveillance system for several days to try to better figure these things out. That makes sense -- find out what's going on.

PVCs are horrible I was watching this to see how things were going for you. Before surgery I was on Coreg and didn't have any PVCs, I've had them my whole adult life. Since surgery I've had way more and now on Sotalol for a-fib I have one every three beats. Argh!!! So irritating. And these damn doctors saying to ignore them, I want to say "how about I climb into you and punch you inside of your chest 25 times per minute." it may not kill but it's like chinese water torture.

Back