Tooth extraction and antibiotics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hope all is well on here,

Hi I'm getting a tooth molding today and the front desk person suggested I don't need to take 2g of amoxicillin 1 hr prior to the appointment? Is that really ok?

Secondly, Is there a different antibiotics regimen for a tooth extraction, since I was told jus tto take a regular 2g of amoxicillin and will be prescribed a 10-day course of augmentin after the procedure?

extraction is usually much cleaner than "cleaning" which essentially scrapes off the surface grunge of all the teeth, irritates the entire gum and opens up the blood interface for an invasion from every bacteria living in our mouth ...

that there is a course after the extraction is new to me. I've only ever had the 2g prior to the surgery (and since the half life of amoxicillin is short the prior to period is right)

Amoxicillin has a mean elimination half-life of approximately one hour and a mean total clearance of approximately 25 l/hour in healthy subjects. Approximately 60 to 70% of the amoxicillin is excreted unchanged in urine during the first 6 hours after administration of a single 250 mg or 500 mg dose of amoxicillin.​

Hi I'm getting a tooth molding today and the front desk person suggested I don't need to take 2g of amoxicillin 1 hr prior to the appointment? Is that really ok?

Secondly, Is there a different antibiotics regimen for a tooth extraction, since I was told jus tto take a regular 2g of amoxicillin and will be prescribed a 10-day course of augmentin after the procedure?
Hi pellicle, and thanks for the comment.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about premeditating with 2g. amoxicillin. After my OHS, I was given an card that stated what type of drugs I should take befroe I see a dentist. I have now lost that card bu the chart there looked similar to what just found on the Internet
I should clarify that the periodontist may consider installing an implant at the same appointment and that is where the 10-day antibiotic treatment plan is coming from. if they're just taking out the tooth probably no antibiotics, then?!

I'm freaking out already with this procedure as I have not done any major dental work, since my first OHS two years back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 3.02.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 3.02.33 PM.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hi
not sure why you replied to yourself,

Hi pellicle, and thanks for the comment.
I'm freaking out already with this procedure as I have not done any major dental work, since my first OHS two years back.
don't freak out ... just don't. It brings nothing to the table, helps only to make your life quality ratsh1t.

take a deep breath and keep this in the forefront of your mind

happiness and freedom.jpg

So to answer the question
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about premeditating with 2g. amoxicillin.

I'm also not sure what you're not sure about. You were told to do it, I concurred.

So lets sweep aside the guessing game and let me go back to basics.

Bacteria are not killed by antibiotics (in the main), they are killed by your immune system. The role of antibiotics like amoxicillin is to prevent bacteria from reproducing. Thus your immune system can kill them before they get real far.

There is no magic in the reasons for taking them. The reason is to prevent them finding a nice place and settling down and raising a family (or colony). This (in your scar tissue and artificial valve heart) would be a basis for endocarditis.

You therefore want antibiotics in there before the surgery (tooth extractions are a surgery) and at maximum concentration, to prevent them settling in the wrong place. You NEED them in just prior to the surgery because it disappears fast (which is what the section about half life is all about, was it that which confused you?). So take it less than an hour before the surgery (the tooth extraction).

As well I said that tooth extractions are less of a source of infection entry than scale and clean ==> meaning this is even less of a risk than a scale and clean.

I didn't write much (hoping to be making it harder to misunderstand) and re-reading it I'm not sure what was unclear.

So to be crystal clear
  1. take the antibiotics before your surgery as directed (dental surgery right)
  2. its up to you and your dentist if you need a course of antibiotics following the surgery
suffering-1.jpg

Best Wishes

Last edited:

I usually ask my Cardio these types of questions because the answers have changed over the years. I read a recent consensus document that said not all dental procedures require pre-antibiotics. IIRC cleaning does, but not cavity filling. My cardio wants me to take it for cavity filling as well...what if he slips with the drill :) Both my dentist and cardio do not require anything other than the 2 g of amoxicillin. My gut doesn't like high doses of antibiotics so I try to take what I need but no more.

Always follow instructions on antibiotics from the doctor, not a front desk person, who has no medical training. You take what you are told before the Dental visit and after. Do not listen to a receptionist, who has no Cardiac and dental training. You are taking them to prevent infection from the mouth that can go down to the heart. Good luck at your dental visit.

Latest posts

Back