Tom's here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tprice54

Hello everyone thanks for all the positive thoughts and posts. Home today about 11:30. May I say, tears flowed here as Iread the posts. A few thoughts so far:
remember slightly waking up in NICU thrashing, having that wonderful female voice say "not yet sweetie, go back to sleep". happened twice. Third time, they said,okay le't take the tube out. That felt beautiful!
DRUGS! Felt good Friday night when I got a regular room. Saturday afternoon was bad, right after a froced magnesium IV. Temp spiked at 102. Slept awhile, got up, forced myself to wlak and drink. I realize taht I missed 2 does of pain killers....don't recommend that ever.
No way did I realize how tired I would be. I can sleep 3-4 hours no problem. Have not had any sleeping pills in or out, the pain killers are marvelous (hydrocodone).
Did not remember reading abything about the insulin, and got concerned with finger pricks every 4 hours and 4 units of insulin every meal.
Last, but not least, my family who was there with me trough this whole thing.....going to slepp now, will check back later.

Welcome back. I hope everything progresses smoothly.

My son also had finger pricks, every hr for part of the time. I asked why and was told that it is very common after major trauma (OHS qualifies) for the body to need additional insulin. I asked if that meant that he would be diabetic and they said no.

Welcome home! SLEEP!!!

I don't ever remember reading about the finger pricks either, had me worried also!

Welcome home! Let your body speak to you. Rest is GOOD!!!

Take care. And Congratulations!! You did a great job!!

:) Marguerite

Tom - thanks SO much for checking in. The first few weeks at home are going to be (and should be) a lazy time for you. Enjoy! On your 1 year anniversary you'll look back and remember when you had that short amount of time when you had permission to get all the rest you could.

Glad to see you back Tom! Congratulations on your journey over the mountain.

I was amazed at how much the finger pricks did NOT hurt! I wasn't expecting it but they kept checking my sugar level. I never did get insulin and must say eating was not top priority for me.

Welcome back Tom!! Rest up!

Ruth

briansmom said:
Welcome back. I hope everything progresses smoothly.

My son also had finger pricks, every hr for part of the time. I asked why and was told that it is very common after major trauma (OHS qualifies) for the body to need additional insulin. I asked if that meant that he would be diabetic and they said no.

Recent learning has shown that the more tightly blood sugars are controlled post surgery, the lower the chances of infection. I was on an insulin drip for 24 hours post surgery, then went back on finger sticks with meals and at bedtime once I went to the floor. I think I got insulin once, and don't think I got it at all when I got readmitted. I can't think of the exact numbers, but I think they want to keep you between 80 and 120 or 130? It's a bear to manage on the patient, I hate having to poke their fingers every hour! But if you have a swan or central line they can draw it off that.

Carolyn

TOM!

Welcome home :). Good to see you posting again!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued successful recovery!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Get the word out" ... Collective Soul ... 'Feeling Better Now'

Hi Tom!!!!

Hi Tom!!!!

great to hear from you. your writing is much advanced over mine at an equal time of recovery. that was where the pump head was most apparent for me. and the sleeping continues for me, and i'm 26 days post surgery as of tomorrow. i must admit feel bad about it, as i make plans to try to get things done, and many dont seem to get done -- tho that is improving. still, i cant imagine going back to work full time in a mere two weeks. i see you probably got some snow in the last day or two. remember -- NO shoveling!!! by the way -- has the tawdry shirt gotten there yet??? -- joe

Tom - Great to hear you are home! Thanks for the heads-up on the Insulin. I wasn't aware of that either. Take care of yourself and heres to an uneventful recovery!!

Tom,

Congrats! Welcome home. Rest, breathe, walk, rest.... There's no place like home.

David.

Shirt Pic

Shirt Pic

My tawdry shirt has yet to arrive frm the great state of Mass. I will post a picture as soon as it arrives....one week ago tomorrow was my AVR?CABG, I can't believe it!

Tom, great to hear that you are on the other side of the mountain! Keep checking in with us January babies. The support you receive here will help pull you through. ;)

shirt has arrived

shirt has arrived

MY tawdry shirt arrived yesterday..check out the picturs posted on the Tawdy Shirt forum!
Surgery Thursday 1/25/07
Picture taken 2/2/07

Latest posts

Back