Tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzy19

Hello All, brand new to these forums and glad I found them. Have been healthy my whole life and found out that I needed surgery to repair BAV and TAA less than 3 months ago (by pure luck too). I am scheduled for my operation tomorrow (May 17). Had my pre-op consultation today and am looking forward to having this done even though it will be a hard road to recovery...thanks to all who have posted to put my mind at ease over the past week since I've been on. Glad to be in Canada with our health care system right now too.

Good Luck Izzy, will be thinking of you and wishing for a successful outcome.

I am having a pre-admission clinic on Friday in preparation for mitral valve repair/replacement but have no idea when surgery will happen. The wait is tiresome and I will be glad to have it behind me.

Let us know how the op goes,

Roger

On the other side as they say...came through the surgery fairly well...that "wake up" in ICU with the tube down your throat is something else...as is the first cough/sneeze. Had some complications with blood gathering in the pericardial sac...but once that was drained i was on the mend. Made it home yesterday, which is the best possible feeling

izzy19;n876630 said:
Hello All, brand new to these forums and glad I found them. Have been healthy my whole life and found out that I needed surgery to repair BAV and TAA less than 3 months ago (by pure luck too). I am scheduled for my operation tomorrow (May 17). Had my pre-op consultation today and am looking forward to having this done even though it will be a hard road to recovery...thanks to all who have posted to put my mind at ease over the past week since I've been on. Glad to be in Canada with our health care system right now too.

We might be twins...I'm in Winnipeg and got my diagnosis by surprise and luck too...had my repair to AV on Jan 30, 2017...glad to hear you're doing well!

Izzy, Hello from a fellow Cdn, although my AVR surgery was done in Tokyo, Japan (1 May 2017) I expect future valve "work" will be done in Canada. Great to hear you are doing well post op. Each day gets easier! JCG

Welcome to "the other side of the mountain" Izzy. Did you even get the license number of the truck that hit you? That's what I felt like when I got home.

You say you've enjoyed researching this forum. . . as if your learning is finished. Far from it! As you hit all of those little bumps on the road to recovery, come on back here and see who else hit the same bump to find out how they dealt with it.

Glad you're on the mend.

P.S. I soon found that if I didn't have a heart pillow nearby when I needed it, I could just place both hands flat on my sternum, press lightly, and that served the same purpose as the pillow. Might be a "guy" thing, as guys' chests are usually flatter, or it could be a matter of upper body strength, but it worked for me.

Last edited:
Yes, welcome to the other side !

Those heart pillows - we don't get given them here on the other side of the pond in the UK - I'm always jealous when I read about them. We get shown how to roll a towel to use when coughing or snezzing or when in a car. I have a futon cushion which is very firm which I used, but I'd love to be given one of those special heart pillows you guys get !

Hi All again, you are definitely right epstns...I just come here to look around now and see if I can help as you all have. That truck was real...my first waking thought was that they were pulling the tube out of my throat...then down again and my wife being there...I was out for about 18 hrs

Latest posts

Back