Today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:
In my 3 month scheduled visit today my cardiocardiolst did a stress eechotest. i expected the results to lead to a decision to have OHS to replace my aortic valve only and that surgery to be in the next few months.

It is happening tomorrow!

Whatever he saw on the EKG concerned him very much. He said it was very serious and I should not delay one day.

So, I checked into Shadyside hospital on Pittsburgh. They did another CAT test and found one artery that will need a bypass.
The surgeon's PA is here to talk, so I have to go now.

Hopefully, I will do updates on the other side. The waiting room was not my cup of tee. I'm ready to get this done and start moving forward.

Thanks everyone for the information and caring. There are good people on this forum.

Oh my. That must have been a shock. It's good to hear you're ready to have it done and get it behind you. Wishing you very smooth sailing through the surgery and an excellent recovery, Fred.

Whoa, rushed into surgery. Thats great that someone caught the condition soon enough. Mine almost wasn't caught soon enough. After my surgery the surgeon said I was a "Walking Time-Bomb" his actual words not mine. But that I was lucky I made it to surgery when i did. Glad you've got a team who's on top of things!

Hi everyone,
This is Fred's daughter, Johanna, with an update. He is in surgery doing well. The update is that he is getting the valve replacement and a bypass. The news is that his chest is open, he's on the heart and lung machine, and they have found the right size valve for him. It'll be a few more hours before it's wrapped up.

I'll keep you posted! He was in good spirits when he went in to surgery.

All best to you !
Johanna

Thanks for the update :)

Next stop is icu where they will start him doing small walks

I hope you are not in there alone

Best Wishes

Hi everyone!
Pellicle - He is not alone. He has family here, so that is good.

My dad is out of surgery!! It went as expected and he's up sitting and talking with me. He says he's getting better every hour.
They put in a tissue valve, part cow and part pig. It's 2.5 cm.

It is great that he's out and acting like himself again. The pain is in and out but they are doing their best to contain it.

Thanks for the support, everyone!! I'll be checking in.

Johanna (and Fred)

Awesome news, Johanna! I know you all are relieved that it's over. Great to hear he's up and gaining strength!

FredW;n866602 said:
Hi everyone!

My dad is out of surgery!! It went as expected and he's up sitting and talking with me. He says he's getting better every hour.
They put in a tissue valve, part cow and part pig. It's 2.5 cm.

It is great that he's out and acting like himself again. The pain is in and out but they are doing their best to contain it.

Thanks for the support, everyone!! I'll be checking in.

Johanna (and Fred)
Great news Johanna ! And wonderful that Fred has you and such a supportive family with him ! Please do give him our best !

Thanks!

More details about the valve: Fred's valve had three leaflets (not bicuspid as they thought previously), lots of calcification, and was replaced by a "trifecta gt" valve by St Jude's.

Apparently his valve was at 1.1, and we learned that the rate of decay on the valve is 0.12 cm per year. That was an interesting thing that Fred hadn't known.

We'll update more later.
Johanna and Fred

Woo-Hoo! Fred is now on "the other side of the mountain" with the rest of us. Glad all is going well, as I know it sometimes doesn't.

I'm also glad that Fred has family nearby, as they can act as his advocate when he is "fogged out." Keep up the good work, Fred and the family. The best is yet to come.

Hi

FredW;n866602 said:

I was meaning you ... the poster, but it seems you had other family in there with you...

Johanna (and Fred)

glad to read the subsequent updates too :)

Give him my regards and tell him I said now that he's had that valve replaced its time to start the training for that mountain walk he was talking about long ago...

Back