To the young heart surgery patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not exactly young, or old, I'm kind of in the middle here when at age 45 I had OHS. I also heard people say "you're too young to have heart surgery" but I know the people who said it were not medical professionals, just people who just didn't realize that some people are born with a heart defect. Makes me feel lonely more than anything, but it also gives me a chance to education them.

Rachel

You are never to young to have heart problems. there are those here, just like me. who were born with cardio birth defects, natural or by medication before birth. I was supposed to be twins in 1965, it was my defective aortic valve. So you are never too young, just like arthritis, can be born with it. That nurse needs to go back to nursing or medical and learn about the patients she is helping do not need to reminded of their condition in such a way. I have never had this experience, but I know this happens to everyone else who has had toi deal with insensitive people in the medical profession for years. You did not say how you came out, hope it was good. Hugs for today.

Every single day I wake up, I thank God for being blessed because no matter what age you are, it could be your last breath at any minute.

I was 30 when diagnosed with BAV and my aneurysm, surgery followed a few weeks later. I was in good shape and was told by so many people "you are young and healthy, you will be fine". I had almost every complication mentioned, aside from death. You never know what is going to happen, and surgery is out of our control. I am pretty good now 2 years post op, but young or old, heart surgery is tough on people.

I am 19, and had some OHS (AVR) done back in late June, the comments never seemed to faze me. I thought it was funny, when a phlebotomist came in to take my blood and he said "wow never had to take the blood of someone the same age as me".

I understand that too! I am 31 and had it done 6-7 months ago and all the nurses made comments about how young I am and about my baby. Annoying!

You know, it never occurred to me that people would be upset about age comments. Things just happen to people, and age is an easy thing to look at. Some things people should never have to deal with, but it's the (bad) luck of the draw that sticks you with it, whether it's replaced heart valves, losing a child, or being hit by a drunk driver. It stinks, but it happens and you deal with it.

In terms of VR, it never occurred to me to worry about age comments with my step son. He's 13yo, and just had his mitral and aortic valve replaced, along with his ascending aorta. You know what? He's gained 15 pounds since December. He's climbing all over the place and enjoying it (he never enjoyed climbing before), he's running. He jumps up the stairs (instead of being out of breath and having chest pains), and he's much happier because of it. His self confidence has increased dramatically!

And you know what? If he hadn't had surgery "At such a young age" (his first OHS was at 15 days), he wouldn't be here, and he wouldn't be so healthy. I am simply thrilled that he has had surgery. Perhaps a difference in perspective is what it takes. Turn around the comments to "And thank goodness that I can have surgery now instead of at age 70! I have so much to look forward to!"

Great points Sarah, especially about the change of perspective. If this were 50-60 years ago, all of us on here, or our loved ones would be dead or dying.

I jusat had to make an extra comment. This happened to my cousin years ago. She was 50, broke her arm two years before and was experiencing the early beginings of arthritis, which runs well in my family. She was told time and again that she was too young to have arthritis. I would up telling her that she should have known better, being experienced in medical situations as well as having an aunt with RA. Finally she got a doctor to see the arthritis and get proper treatment. So that is why, no matter the mecial problem you have, no one is too young to have it. It is just some people get shocked at how the young have to deal with the issues early in life. We are strong, educated, knowledgable people who can stand proud with all of the Earth. We are the champions here. Hugs for everyone today and be brave and strong everyday.

My son has BAV Stenosis, he's 16, and borderline for participating in sports. I appreciate reading this thread, hearing what it's been like for others....I know everyone feels differently, but having an idea of how some feel, may help me prepare and support my son. He really loves baseball and played this past summer. He talks and looks forward to playing again next year and it's hard to remind him that there's a possibliity that he may not be able to. I really struggle with how to prepare him for his surgery someday....we assume it will be within 5 years, but hope it will at least be after high school....I know he jokes about his "heart murmur" to us and friends at times, but I feel that's a nervous coverup for worrying and I use those times to reassure and try to answer his questions. We try not to dwell on it and go on with life as normal, but days like today, when I had to tell his fitness teacher about it, so that he understands that my son can't be pushed to the limit as others, brings all the worrying up again. So much of what you read about BAV Stenosis, refers to those over 60. I wish I could read more about how young, young people have dealt with it. Thanks for your cander and support for others!

I'm eighteen, and I'm going into my first open heart surgery in a week, and I'm sure I'll encounter even more of it there- however, I went in for atrial fibrillation in November, and I got that a LOT.
I was constantly told that I was the baby of the cardiac unit. I just kinda' laughed it off though. I mean, why should I let the truth bother me? Sure, it's a little silly that they make a big deal of it, seeing as though there are plenty of patients like me who were born with issues, but it isn't the most common thing in the world either, so I'll give them that much. Maybe we got a crappy hand early on, but I bet anything that we take life for granted a lot less often than most of our peers.

Greenie93....Well said!! I admire your attitude! Best Wishes on your OHS...please keep us posted on your recovery.

I agree with you all. I am 23, going in for AVR in 2 weeks, and it seems like I may even be one of the youngest on this thread. But being reminded of that sucks...its almost like theyre telling you, "Poor sucker, you have a long time to keep this up, good luck."

What they should say is something like, "Looks like you have many years of life ahead of you, glad we could get this taken care of early on in your life."

Still, when they tell me "Arent you a little young for this?" I say "Well you know I just couldnt wait to get started with this so here I am" ;)

Scott

My first surgery was at 17 and I had 2 at age 20.. I had comments back in those days, but now when I go in for check-ups it's always the same nurses & cardiologist, so I've never had any comments about my age in recent years.. but I do still notice a difference in the waiting room.. I'm 33 now and I'm still the youngest always in the waiting room :)

Latest posts

Back