To Charles... RE what is Ross

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

martha

The ross procedure involves taking out the problem aortic and the valve right about it the pulmonery. Then putting the pulmonery in the aortic position and a homograph in the aortic position. This is a much more involved surgery. Not all cardic surgeons can or will do this surgery. There are those in this group that have had it done. And can answer your questions much better then I can. I hope this has helped.

To Charles,

Here's another explanation on different techniques to replace the Aortic Valve.

There are 2 other techniques available to replace the aortic valve. One is called an aortic homograft. This is an aortic valve harvested from a human donor that has been preserved. This does not require coumadin and probably has a longer lifespan than pig or cow valves. Another technique that shares the same advantages is the Ross procedure. Here, the patient's own pulmonic valve is transplanted to the aortic position and a pulmonic homograft obtained from a human donor is the placed in the pulmonic position.

Christina.

Thanks guys. This is all new to me so I am trying to learning as much as possible. Great to have this support group here to talk with about our mutual concerns/questions.

Charles,

There is another site which I used to visit and receive e-mails, all about the Ross Procedure. It's run through St. Johns. I ultimately chose not to have a Ross, but read a lot of information on that site. It was quite helpful.

To Charles RE Ross Procedure

To Charles RE Ross Procedure

Hello Charles, welcome to the site. (actually I imagine a few people are wondering where I have been) anyhow, I had the Ross Procedure on 8 August 2000 at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation by Dr. Gustov Pettersen.
Yes, they move your pulmonic valve to the aortic position and they replace your pulmonic with a pulmonic homograph. The procedure is much longer than the normal AVR and much more complicated.
I opted for this party because i was terrified of Coumadin, that was before I learned so much from everyone here. Also chose the Rp due to the chance of longevity beyond the life of a homograph aortic, which some studies show to calcify rapidly in younger patients. Hence earlier re-op.

Any way, if I can help or answer any questions, please ask.

God bless,

Ben

Latest posts

Back