TMI

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post op Day 2. Tim is still experiencing nausea and very sleepy. Was able to walk from bed to ensuite with assistance and had a shower. Said it was wonderful! He slept for two hours after though but that's ok. Tomorrow they will remove the urinary catheter - those of you who have experienced this will be cringing I'm sure but it is a sign another sign of progress so that's good! Today he ate a yogurt for breakfast, didn't want lunch, and had a little pot of ice-cream tonight. He has gained 3 kilos of fluid during the op so they are draining that off till he reaches his pre-op weight. Still itchy so I have cut my nails and I think I am helping with my scratches! He did swear at me a couple of times today for asking if he was ok - I ignored it as I think it is a bit of a shock reaction. The last thing he said to me tonight was "I love you and I really appreciate everything you do for me." That made it all ok :)

... He did swear at me a couple of times today for asking if he was ok - I ignored it as I think it is a bit of a shock reaction. The last thing he said to me tonight was "I love you and I really appreciate everything you do for me." That made it all ok :)
having been him a few times I strongly suggest you stop asking "are you ok" ... he's not , he's struggling, he's trying to put on a good face for you and struggling with the situation.
From a male perspective asking "are you ok" when you feel like you've been hit by a bus is difficult to answer (at best, and to put it mildly).

Please accept this as genuine caring (for both of you) advice.

Just be there (if you want) ... but don't ask.Feel free to give me a call if you need anyone to talk to about how you're feeling.

Best Wishes

He'll probably feel a lot better once the catheter and those damned drains come out. He'll also probably be a less intimidating site to you and visitors. He may also get bored -- when I had my surgery, there wasn't any good TV, no IPADS, Tablets, good cellphones, and the only entertainment was books and crummy TV. He may at least have more things to occupy his mind.

I remember, when I was allowed to eat real food, I had my mother bring a Barbecue Beef Sandwich from a place that I liked. When he's eating, getting a break from hospital food may also make him feel more recovered.

As Pellicle said, males (myself included) want to put on a strong face. I did, I do. Admitting that something is hurting is, to me at least, sort of like a sign of weakness.

Just let him know that he's loved (I'm sure he does), and that you're there for him. It may not hurt to remind him how much you need him. (This is what keeps me going).

Remember that this ordeal should return him to you - stronger and healthier.

I remember day 3 I think it was, my wife rang me (she had been in the day before) and with the excitement of it my heart rate ran up over 120 and set the alarms off and the nurses all came running in 😂😻

Thanks everyone. Today was not good for him. His heart rate was high this morning so they have been giving him infusions all day which made him feel so nauseated and miserable. It finally came down late afternoon and they took him off the infusion. An hour later his heart rate went too low setting off alarm bells. They have put him back on the pacemaker and say he should feel better tomorrow. I just sat quietly with him and gave him whatever he asked for. Every time he woke he called my name so I’m glad I was there with him. I’ve told family and friends to contact me if they are planning to visit as I don't think he’s up to that yet. Here’s hoping Day 4 will be better for him.

Sounds like he will need a permanent pacemaker. I needed one placed a few days following AVR. It was an easy procedure and virtually no recovery issue. Don't be afraid of it, everyone should have one! Not only does it keep your heart within a prescribed pulse rate, it monitors your heartbeat daily for any issues such as atrial fib or flutter and alerts your cardiologist if any abnormalities are detected.

Thanks everyone. Today was not good for him. His heart rate was high this morning so they have been giving him infusions all day which made him feel so nauseated and miserable. It finally came down late afternoon and they took him off the infusion. An hour later his heart rate went too low setting off alarm bells. They have put him back on the pacemaker and say he should feel better tomorrow. I just sat quietly with him and gave him whatever he asked for. Every time he woke he called my name so I’m glad I was there with him. I’ve told family and friends to contact me if they are planning to visit as I don't think he’s up to that yet. Here’s hoping Day 4 will be better for him.
Hoping things settle for him, @Rainbow
Thanks for the updates and wishing him good days and improvement soon.

Slightly off topic -- I get SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) - my heart rate rises, I have little or no control over it (and, I think, few of us do). I was in the hospital last November with a Baker's Cyst and turgidity in my left lower leg -- talking to my wife - when I had an SVT. The nurses came running to my room 'Who are you talking to?' I asked 'Does it matter?'
They thought that my call upset me. It was just another SVT - I've learned to ignore them as much as I can, unless they last more than a few minutes.

Wow what a difference a day makes! My Tim is back and he is eating and walking and weeing and pooing! Sorry but it seems like those things are very important post op :) I managed to get Sky Live working on the tablet for him - he’s determined to watch the NZ Blackcaps thrash England in the World Cup Cricket final tomorrow! Auckland City Hospital does not have tv in the rooms but that won’t stop him from showing his support! He might have a few patients and staff in his room too! You probably have to be Kiwi to understand the importance of this?

Slightly off topic -- I get SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) - my heart rate rises, I have little or no control over it (and, I think, few of us do). I was in the hospital last November with a Baker's Cyst and turgidity in my left lower leg -- talking to my wife - when I had an SVT. The nurses came running to my room 'Who are you talking to?' I asked 'Does it matter?'
They thought that my call upset me. It was just another SVT - I've learned to ignore them as much as I can, unless they last more than a few minutes.
That sounds a bit scary. I don’t know if it’s the same as Tim had yesterday. They kept talking about his sinuses and I thought that was weird as it’s his heart not his sinuses, but he is coughing up ‘stuff’ and has had some very light nosebleeds today. There’s nothing that can make me feel more stupid than ‘hospital speak!’

He'll probably feel a lot better once the catheter and those damned drains come out. He'll also probably be a less intimidating site to you and visitors. He may also get bored -- when I had my surgery, there wasn't any good TV, no IPADS, Tablets, good cellphones, and the only entertainment was books and crummy TV. He may at least have more things to occupy his mind.

I remember, when I was allowed to eat real food, I had my mother bring a Barbecue Beef Sandwich from a place that I liked. When he's eating, getting a break from hospital food may also make him feel more recovered.

As Pellicle said, males (myself included) want to put on a strong face. I did, I do. Admitting that something is hurting is, to me at least, sort of like a sign of weakness.

Just let him know that he's loved (I'm sure he does), and that you're there for him. It may not hurt to remind him how much you need him. (This is what keeps me going).

Remember that this ordeal should return him to you - stronger and healthier.
Well that’s funny because I bought a sandwich today and took it back to his room as I didn’t want to eat alone. He thought it looked tasty so I gave him half. He loved it and after that he started eating what they gave him. We have been married for 40 years and every single day we have expressed our love for each other and our need for each other. Cue the violins and soppy theme songs but we have been through some harder times than this and we know it strengthens us. ❤️

having been him a few times I strongly suggest you stop asking "are you ok" ... he's not , he's struggling, he's trying to put on a good face for you and struggling with the situation.
From a male perspective asking "are you ok" when you feel like you've been hit by a bus is difficult to answer (at best, and to put it mildly).

Please accept this as genuine caring (for both of you) advice.

Just be there (if you want) ... but don't ask.Feel free to give me a call if you need anyone to talk to about how you're feeling.

Best Wishes
Thanks Pellicle. Yep and also outlawed is “just push your buzzer and a nurse will come” and “you might feel better if you eat something!” Well, on day 3 anyway 😊

I remember day 3 I think it was, my wife rang me (she had been in the day before) and with the excitement of it my heart rate ran up over 120 and set the alarms off and the nurses all came running in 😂😻
Your wife is obviously a gorgeous woman Warwick!

Thanks 😊 , she is !! We have been married 22 years.
Perhaps they are talking about his aortic sinuses, which are dialations in the artery wall above the valve where the left and right coronary arteries branch off.
A bit of blood in the nose is pretty normal, I remember my surgeon said at the time it was from the dry oxygen being pumped in there.
Great he’s eating and pooping, I struggled with the bowel thing for a week or two after, not pleasant.

Latest posts

Back