Tissue vs. Mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan
Surgery 1: Ross Procedure at age 43
Surgery 2: Edwards bovine pericardial tissue (dacron aortic root/ascending aorta replacement) at age 50
Currently age 51

1 - "Lily" here
2 - I was 42 nearly nine years ago
3 - Porcine tissue valve for failing bicuspid aortic valve

1. ramjet
2. 49
3. St Jude Trifecta 27mm tissue valve

With regards to valve selction ( tissue, mechanical etc), sometimes, to make an informed decision, there is more to consider, and you may have to be guided by the cardiologist. eg. If you choose a tissue valve, depending on your age, yu may require a REDO operation sooner rather than later, most people understand that. As opposed to a mechanicla valve that may last much longer. BUT, if your aorta is enlarged, or you require a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG), then a redo operation may or may not be more difficult (depending on what was done to the heart). Also you may or may not be a candidate for long term anticoagulation with warfarin etc, so other factors may influence which valve you might need. MY choice was quite straight forward, as it was a planned bicuspid aortic valve replacement, and due to my work I didn;t want long term warfarin, and the risk from a redo procedure in 5, 10 or 15 years is approximately the same risk as a first time procedure. However, there is also quite a lot of reaserch into alternative anticoagulation medicaltions, so warfarin may or may not be replaced at some stage inthe future...eg Pradaxa (dabigatran) may be show to be a suitable alternative for warfarin (not enough evidence as yet). Anyway, the decision as to which valve may be quite straight forward for some, but more complicated for others and if you demand a particular valve you may in fact be compromising your future options. Remeber, everyone's circumstances are unique, in their health, activity, lifestyle, comorbidities, cardiologist etc.

This is my take, but if your goal is to stay off blood thinners with a tissue valve, that may not be your choice. Often one surgery will leave you with a fib and the need to take blood thinners anyway. Multiple surgeries increases your odds of a fib, thus increases your odds of life long blood thinners.

Just keeping it real

in reality most tissue valves dont need anti coags, but yes you could in a small number of cases need them, bit like mech valves needing re ops it happens to some, but in general tissue means no anti coags,

1) Hikergrrl/Marcelle
2) 43 at time of surgery in 2009 (46 now)
3) Edwards Porcine Valve - mitral position

I opted for a pig valve because I didn't think blood thinners would go well with my outdoorsy/athletic life style and my largely plant based diet (mounds of spinach, kale, broccoli). I was not told about the mechanical valve ticking ahead of time, but if I had any doubts THAT would have clinched it - background noise is very disturbing to me. My surgeon and cardiologist were very supportive of my choice and it seems that many of their patients get tissue valves (informal poll at cardiac rehab). They believe that this generation of valves will last longer, advances/improvements in surgery will make it less risky than being on blood thinners. My surgery this time was minimally invasive (cut under the breast and through the ribs, NO cutting of bones) and overall 'not that bad' so I have faith.

1. Mark
2. 47 at time of surgery, 58 now.
3. St. Jude mechanical

Hi mark,

You may have posted this information elsewhere, and I'm sorry if that is the case. I notice you are just over 10 years since receiving a St Jude Mechanical valve. I chode a St Jude Trifecta Tisue valve, as I am very very active, and wanted to avoid being n anticoalgulants, but by the time I reach your current age I will likely require a replacement valve (and also a Coronary Artery Bypass a the same time). I am likely to choose a mechanical valve which I hope will by my last cardiac operation. What has been your experience with the mecahnical valve Mark?. Has anticoagulants been an issue for you,does the valve clicak and make an annoying noise at time?. Do you need regula cardiac echos to monitor your mechanical valve. Kind regards, ramjet

Sorry to be late on this. St. Jude's aortic valve, got it at 36 years of age now 47, on warafin without many problems. Never regret decision. I am glad to go this route. Not ready still for another surgery unless needed.I do not hear the ticking anymore after the first three weeks, got used to it. Hugs for today.

Still trying to decide...... Surgery in mid August. I went in to see the surgeon convinced I wanted the ON-X mech valve. I am 60 and am very active and will likely live to be at least to my mid 80s. My surgeon said the 2nd OH surgery has a very high success rate, and the valves often last 15 to 18 years. Even at the age of 78, he said another OH surgery would not be a big deal, given my excellent health. He said the hardest part of the surgery is the ordeal I have to go through to recover but he was confident it would be successful. He suggested a bovine valve, since I take virtually no medicine at this time and it would allow me to not take coumidin.
Tough Decision! I've really enjoyed this site though, especially from all those who have stayed with it long after their surgeries are over!

Just a curious question...

I am 42 and chose a tissue valve. I researched the pros/cons of both tissue & mechanical...Understanding that age may be a major reason for type of valve chosen...I was wondering, if you are willing, if you could simply reply with the following information

1) Username and/or name
2) Age
3) valve type selection

I will start: ;)

1) SB42 / Scott
2) 42
3) Tissue (Bovine)
Rocket John
45 at valve replacement, 59 now
3) porcine

1) Username and/or name
2) Age
3) valve type selection
1) is obvious because I replied, so why is this here
2) can be found in my bio if you were interested, so are you compiling some sort of easy to copy and paste database?
3) I have a bit of a career, so 3.1 repar 3.2 homograft 3.3 mechanical

do did you mean "age at surgery"?

My St Jude was installed on 10-23-2008 and needed a pace maker on 1-13-2015. I have never had any problem besides arrhythmia. I do make sure to tell the dentist that will then put a lead lined cover over my chest. At 72 and still in good health, I dont worry about it and have a normal life.

The recovery was the worst experience in my life even with the oxycodone I was in the worst pain I have ever had for about 2 weeks. At that time I decided that I would never do it again :(

1) is obvious because I replied, so why is this here
2) can be found in my bio if you were interested, so are you compiling some sort of easy to copy and paste database?
3) I have a bit of a career, so 3.1 repar 3.2 homograft 3.3 mechanical

do did you mean "age at surgery"?
This thread is as old as your valve. 😁 It was an informal discussion. It was resurrected by someone I think you’re ignoring. The OP has been MIA since May of 2012.

Latest posts

Back