Tissue Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flor1;n871460 said:
67 surgeon said we need to get this done now.

Flor,

I have angered more than a few people on this forum by openly discussing facts and figures about mortality after AVR. I'm wrestling with the concept a lot right now because I am relatively young and have only just learned about my AS in the past year. More recently, I am seeing parallels with another, earlier time in my life concerning another issue and some realizations I had about the best way to discuss my concerns about it with people outside of my own head.

That being said, let me offer you some good news -- because I can see no harm in it.

I've read a lot about life expectancy after AVR. You aren't openly asking about it here, but I know it must be on your mind. Here's the good news -- all of the studies I have read in the matter have concluded that after the age of 67 or so, life expectancy after AVR is about average. You should live as long as anyone else your age.

I hope this news makes you feel better.

Good luck!

Nocturne;n871468 said:
I have angered more than a few people on this forum by openly discussing facts and figures about mortality after AVR

false ... you have angered a few folk here by failing to actually engage in dialog, by throwing down what appear to be invitations to dialog but then failing to respond or answer and then pulling out the usual excuse of "I'm too busy to engage in a proper answer" ... you then pull up the shutters of denial and say "we're angry with you" when indeed we're simply frustrated by your inability to engage and your lack of logic on the topic. Perhaps followed up by your persistent requirement to bemoan your condition and refuse to see any alternative views (or acknowledge flaws in the studies you quote)

However I am heartened to see you providing encouragement to others

discussions on death and morbitity are indeed part of it ... but the focus on the fact you are going to die when there are no facts is a bit pointless

we here are all going to die ... no way out of it

Read it carefully, Pel...

The good news is you'll live, and whilst I've got your attention, let's talk about me. I've angered a lot of people.... yada yada, because my data scares them and they attack the messenger yada yada. My students are drug pushers, no one understands... Sorry if I offended anyone, but I took an estrogen overdose and haven't been myself... Lucky it wasn't warfarin heh heh. Abuse stems from fear yada yada. Oh, so much vitriol. Why does everyone hate me so much? By the way, have you seen my CAC score? I've read Alice in Wonderland.... "CHANGE HANDS!"

LMFAO

Nocturne;n871441 said:
Superman's comment has made me remember another time in my life, concerning another issue, and for the first time I am seeing the similarities. I will comment on that later, but I need to think about it some more first.

Nocturne,

My comment was only a suggestion that perhaps you are projecting your own fear onto others in the way you are handling things. Not really unusual. Your Alice in Wonderland example was interesting. Call me the Mad Hatter. Having been born into this and really knowing no period of "normal" in my life - my responses/reactions are very different from many individuals that post here that only found out about it well into adulthood.

I can't imagine having that big of a change hit you all at once. For me, open heart finally getting there was almost a relief. A possible freedom from restrictions that I had lived with. And make no mistake, whether my post op life expectancy is 10, 15, 20, or 50 years - it sure beats not making it to 20 years old, which was my other option.

neil;n871482 said:
florl good choice in going for tissue at your age, your going to be fine, chin up mate

Thanks for reminding us what the purpose of the thread was.

I've heard people saying good things about the 'stentless' valves. Don't know enough to say more, but it may be worth investigating.

Many have travelled this road before Flor. The waiting is really the worst. It may be an emotional roller coaster for a while afterwards, but things will settle and you'll find yourself again.

Flor1: Wonder if your surgeon mentioned the Medtronic Mosaic Porcine valve as an option. Some research indicates early failure of these valves. In my case I needed re-surgery in less than three years. See for instance this report: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090629165554.htm, which summarizes a 2009 study. My (new) cardiologist tells me that the valve is no longer used in many hospitals, and he wonders why I was given that valve as late as Nov 2013 when there was already concern about its durability. If that's what your surgeon is recommending, you should at least raise this issue with him/her.

Will be thinking of you over the coming days. In my experience, the days just before are much worse than the days following the surgery--for the patient and family and friends.

When speaking to the surgeon they have all the major producers available at the time of surgery. The final choice will be what is the best fit for me.
have to say I'm getting jumpier as the days go by more then ready to get it over with.

Flor1;n871517 said:
​​​​​
have to say I'm getting jumpier as the days go by more then ready to get it over with.
Stick with it mate, you'll be in post op soon enough.

Try some planning, consider what you'll take in with you.

Do you like Korean food? I strongly recommend KimChi to take in and eat as a side with meals. Gets the pop chute going properly after surgery.

Agree with everyone here.....keep busy.....and think about how good it will be to be done with surgery and healing.

Also just know that most of us know how you feel!

Much luck to you and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it.

You'd have to be an automaton not to feel jumpy. That final week before surgery is the worst part of the whole ordeal. I actually found showing up the morning of the surgery to be comforting. FINALLY I was going to get well! Do try to focus on that aspect--that good health is just around the corner.

George in Denver;n871533 said:
You'd have to be an automaton not to feel jumpy. That final week before surgery is the worst part of the whole ordeal. I actually found showing up the morning of the surgery to be comforting. FINALLY I was going to get well! Do try to focus on that aspect--that good health is just around the corner.

I guess then that "this is Borg speaking." I became calmer by the day as my surgery date approached. I was fully confident in my choice of surgeon, hospital and valve, and all I had to do was to be there on time to get it done.

This is not bragging -- just a reminder that we all react differently, and that a little bit of humor (humour to my mates across the pond) goes a long way.

The best of luck to you. Come on back and tell us all about how well it went. We'll keep the lights on for you.

pellicle;n871435 said:
I loved the X-Files and Fringe :)

But yeah I was happy to get recognition from someone who knows his ****. Sort of like an informal peer review.

Hadn't heard of him before that , but his tri-leaflet aortic mechanical valve looks interesting.

So you guys got 'Fringe' down there? I need to get out more. I liked the show a lot although it lost me a little probably as it got a bit too difficult for my limited intellect to totally grasp.

Nocturne;n871402 said:
Right, right. The deaths of a 12 year old and a 97 year old are equally tragic. Right.

Obviously not but I guess once you're dead you're dead. Frank Sinatra is no better off than some slave who lived in 18th century Alabama as of today. At least by my way of thinking.

pellicle;n871362 said:
because I do not believe in "conspiracy theory" and the jounal is reputable:

Ann Thorac Surg 2013;95:1-66
DOI: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.01.083
Aortic Valve and Ascending Aorta Guidelines
for Management and Quality Measures

Writing Committee Members: Lars G. Svensson, MD, PhD (Chair),
David H. Adams, MD (Vice-Chair), Robert O. Bonow, MD (Vice-Chair),
Nicholas T. Kouchoukos, MD (Vice-Chair), D. Craig Miller, MD (Vice-Chair),
Patrick T. O’Gara, MD (Vice-Chair), David M. Shahian, MD (Vice-Chair),
Hartzell V. Schaff, MD (Vice-Chair), Cary W. Akins, MD, Joseph E. Bavaria, MD,
Eugene H. Blackstone, MD, Tirone E. David, MD, Nimesh D. Desai, MD, PhD,
Todd M. Dewey, MD, Richard S. D’Agostino, MD, Thomas G. Gleason, MD,
Katherine B. Harrington, MD, Susheel Kodali, MD, Samir Kapadia, MD,
Martin B. Leon, MD, Brian Lima, MD, Bruce W. Lytle, MD, Michael J. Mack, MD,
Michael Reardon, MD, T. Brett Reece, MD, G. Russell Reiss, MD, Eric E. Roselli, MD,
Craig R. Smith, MD, Vinod H. Thourani, MD, E. Murat Tuzcu, MD, John Webb, MD,
and Mathew R. Williams, MD

Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio; Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York; Northwestern University Medical School,
Chicago, Illinois; Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Inc, St. Louis, Missouri; Falk Cardiovascular Research Center, Palo Alto,
California; Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts; Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts; Mayo
Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota; Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Toronto General Hospital,
Toronto, Ontario; Technology Institute, Dallas, Texas; Lahey Clinic Medical Center, Burlington, Massachusetts; University of Pittsburgh
School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California; New York–Presbyterian
Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York;
Baylor Health Care System, Dallas, Texas; Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas; University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado; Dean Health
System, Madison, Wisconsin; Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia; and St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver, British
Columbia​

The figure cited is A in this Fig ref:
Fig 2. (A) Relationship of late survival to years after aortic valve
insertion in 13,258 patients, divided by aortic valve prosthesis.
(B) Survival by age.​

of course you may believe whatever you want ...

secondly I think you should understand the stats better and perhaps read it yourself ...

I downloaded it from the University where I worked, but a good public or state library will probably give you access, here is the URL:
http://www.annalsthoracicsurgery.org..._Supplement/S1

on your next point:

well I'm glad to see you finally admit you'll have a normal lifespan ... perhaps we can dispense with all the usual "I'm going to die" stuff. However to answer your question please observe your own point: barring complications. I would agree with your Dr ... a Mechanical valve will last you a normal lifespan ... but will everything else favor that?

As you have no idea what the situation of those less than 50 year olds were like it may just be they had a bunch of other co-morbidities ... if they were 49 at surgery then they lived till they were nearly 65. I would surmise that if I had not had the good treatment that I did with my post surgery infection that I may be part of that component who died. I keep saying there are more an wider parameters than people seem to wish to focus on ... take the blinkers off and look at the big picture.

So far I'm part of the surviving group

There are some impressive names on that list, personally familiar with one of them, but when I click on the link access be denied.

cldlhd;n871560 said:
There are some impressive names on that list, personally familiar with one of them, but when I click on the link access be denied.

Hi

As I said

I downloaded it from the University where I worked, but a good public or state library will probably give you access,

Meaning its a subscription link.

Institutional Access

Visit SciVerse ScienceDirect to see if you have access via your institution.

So if you were on a library or university IP domain it will be available, unless it knows that its you.... You could try tape over your front camera so it doesn't see who you are ;-)

I accessed it when I was institutionalised ....

pellicle;n871561 said:
Hi

As I said

I downloaded it from the University where I worked, but a good public or state library will probably give you access,

Meaning its a subscription link.

So if you were on a library or university IP domain it will be available, unless it knows that its you.... You could try tape over your front camera so it doesn't see who you are ;-)

I accessed it when I was institutionalised ....

I assumed somewhere along the line they locked you up....
Thanks for the link I breezed through it with reasonable comprehension while waiting to take my son to see Star Wars. Fro what I read regarding my own personal situation it was good news. Most bav repairs that fail do so in the first 2 years and as you reach 7 years the risk drops even lower. Adds a bit of stress as I go in for my 2 yr echo in about a month but the one year showed no leakage so fingers crossed. Also life expectancy for younger patients who have bav repair seems to be about on par with the general U.S. population. Cheers....

Back