Tissue Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nocturne;n871409 said:
Oh, man... Pellicle, I just noticed that that was YOUR blog. I had read through the linked page before but did not realize it.

That's some nice work.

Thanks ... I make it public because I know it helps people (if the emails are anything to go by). Especially the INR management stuff always makes me feel its worth the effort when I get stray emails from people who found it by Google.

Superman;n871413 said:
"It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. You take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have" - Will Munny

one of my favourite movies ... Uncle Clint is not just a good actor, but a great director!

epstns;n871406 said:
But don't you DARE to put it into my single malt! Not even ice goes there. Maaaaybe just a drop of water to open up the flavors. . .

and make sure if you're in Flint that its bottled still water not tap water. ;-)

I understood putting Coke into Malt was a "take Hemlock offence" ... or at least a hanging

pellicle;n871415 said:
Thanks ... I make it public because I know it helps people (if the emails are anything to go by). Especially the INR management stuff always makes me feel its worth the effort when I get stray emails from people who found it by Google.

Your analysis of and argument for mechanical valves is very convincing. If I had a normal CAC score, or at least one that wasn't in the sideshow freak zone, I would be sold on getting one.

Edit -- it is frustrating that we never see these studies looking at lifespan (raw or relative) go for more than 15 years. At age 65, it's probably enough, and most people getting AVR are at that age, but if you are much younger -- even 40s or 50s -- you want to see which sort of valve will be most likely to carry you through 30 or 40 more years. A slight trajectory variance like the one you hypothesize / point out on your blog could make a huge difference.

If an anticoagulant free mech valve, or an anticoagulant med that doesn't mess with Vitamin K becomes available before I need surgery, it will make my decision a lot easier. Although I suppose that's likely true for almost everyone else who will need AVR in the future as well...

Superman;n871423 said:
Is that why you spend an inordinate amount of time on here abusing people with the idea that they will die soon?

I think Nocturne mainly asserts he will die soon, not others.

Nocturne;n871422 said:
If an anticoagulant free mech valve, or an anticoagulant med that doesn't mess with Vitamin K becomes available before I need surgery, it will make my decision a lot easier. Although I suppose that's likely true for almost everyone else who will need AVR in the future as well...
You and me both buddy, although probably it's a little late for me.

You may have noticed that one of the commenters on my blog post was this guy

http://www.triflomedical.com/the-inventor

Nocturne;n871402 said:
Right, right. The deaths of a 12 year old and a 97 year old are equally tragic. Right.

Tragic to whom? To the society or to the person who is dying.
I saw few 80 years old whining like babies when i was in hospital for surgery. Society accept their death as natural, but they were really scared at the possibility of dying.
Have you seen a 1 year old scared of death? It is just state of our mind.

I agree with you and i have accepted that i have a limited life since i had surgery at 32.
But i am not running around and making people uncomfortable. Whats the point? Is it going to extend my life? I don't think so.

Nocturne;n871404 said:
Right, right. The loss of one's life is no real loss at all. Right.

Isn't it a bit... CURIOUS, though, that every human society seems to have rules against murder? I mean, that's just weird, considering that (as this poem points out so well) when you die, you don't actually LOSE anything. I mean, I kill a man, and he hasn't actually LOST anything -- nor have his fellows -- so what's the big deal?

I am sorry, but I am not ready for self delusion.

All you are doing is pointing out that I have fallen down the rabbit hole, and that I'm going to have to go crazy, or else I'll go crazy.

"CHANGE PLACES!!!"

You've lost me here .. what do you mean?

Warrick;n871432 said:
thats some pretty impressive kudos from Mr Lapeyre, and his comments are a bit X-Files as in the truth is out there...

I loved the X-Files and Fringe :)

But yeah I was happy to get recognition from someone who knows his ****. Sort of like an informal peer review.

Hadn't heard of him before that , but his tri-leaflet aortic mechanical valve looks interesting.

pellicle;n871435 said:
I loved the X-Files and Fringe :)

But yeah I was happy to get recognition from someone who knows his ****. Sort of like an informal peer review.

Hadn't heard of him before that , but his tri-leaflet aortic mechanical valve looks interesting.

Very interesting, but I am afraid it may be a pipe dream, as it has been worked on for such a long time (30 years?) and the website has not been updated in 2 or 3, if memory serves.

Maybe whoever was funding it got antsy because they figured the new blood thinners would make the project irrelevant?

Warrick;n871433 said:
You've lost me here .. what do you mean?

In Lewis Carrol's "Alice in Wonderland", the main character falls down a rabbit hole into a magical land with rules and standards of behavior that make no sense to her, but seem to make absolute sense to its inhabitants. In one memorable scene, she is at a tea party attended by the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, and a dormouse. They are all acting insane, and she is lost with regard to their rules of conduct and trains of thought -- but those things make perfect sense to THEM. From time to time (at least in many adaptations), the attendants at the tea party announce "CHANGE PLACES!" and run around the table before taking different seats. Why? Alice has no idea, but it seems to make perfect sense to THEM.

My point is that in certain situations, people end up having to engage in thought patterns that seem crazy to outsiders, because the alternatives are even worse. That fact might not be immediately apparent. I think it is always a bad thing when someone is forced into a situation like that, and somehow damaging to the mind, but of course people are generally FORCED into these situations and trying to make do as best they can.

I am very very new to this whole thing -- to having any kind of illness at all, really. And over the last two years I have been hammered with chronic illness after chronic illness, almost all of which have to do with atherosclerosis, culminating in two types of heart disease that are both life threatening. I am trying to learn about my situation with a certain mindset and set of assumptions, that generally serve pretty well, but do not seem to serve well HERE. Here, there seem to be certain rules and standards of behavior that don't make sense -- at first -- but might make sense if you take certain things into consideration. But they do produce a sort of cognitive dissonance. For example, revealing information from a study that reveals good news about someone's likely lifespan elicits thanks and appreciation (and this has happened to me a few times here, publicly and in PM), while quoting the SAME STUDY to reveal bad news about my own (and, by extension, many other folks') odds of long term survival elicits derision, name calling, and trashing of the study itself. Is a study somehow more or less valid based on the cheerfulness of the information it provides?

Superman's comment has made me remember another time in my life, concerning another issue, and for the first time I am seeing the similarities. I will comment on that later, but I need to think about it some more first.

Met with the surgeon yesturday we went discussed pros and cons of each type and decided on A tissue valve. Surgery set for next Thursday more then ready to get it done the one question is if he can do a minimally invasive replacement do to chest thickness.

Back