Tissue Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flor1

Trying to gather more information on tissue valves before meeting with surgeon Wednesday. Tried search and could not find much of anything to mark a comparison from one one manufacturer to another. Any help or insight greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi
I think that what you have found is about right. Any long term study is usually invalidated by the claims that the new improved brand_x is better (with patented EWV as used by the Taylor's of the latest clothes for the Emperor

I seem to recall that porcine material yielded some slight improvements in duration, this is from my blog (sorry, it's late and I'm too slack to chase down the citation source [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/1.bp.blogspot.com\/-k2bYrQEdZbs\/Utj7DhIk4pI\/AAAAAAAAEiM\/1VQeWrqNWY0\/s1600\/pctSurvival-byType%252850yo%2529-752223.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.valvereplacement.org\/forums\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]

The whole post is here

​​​​​http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/01...r-choices.html

Although it's not a post specifically about tissue valves

Best wishes

Flor1;n871354 said:
Trying to gather more information on tissue valves before meeting with surgeon Wednesday. Tried search and could not find much of anything to mark a comparison from one one manufacturer to another. Any help or insight greatly appreciated
When it comes to manufacturers I would think it's best to ask your surgeon's opinion - they will have experience of working with various makes of valves and would know which they find the best to work with. Sometimes a surgeon too will have a selection available in the operating theatre from which they will then choose the most suitable when they have sized your anulus and so on.

Pellicle,

How can you trust an article featuring a graph that indicates that a third of people who receive AVR under the age of 50 will be dead in fifteen years?

Why, my doctor told me that a mechanical valve would last me a lifetime! A LIFETIME!!! He said that barring complications, I would have a normal lifespan! And it's not like he would use those phrases to obscure any unpleasant truths while technically not lying!

Poppycock, I say! Rubbish and poppycock! Forsooth!

Nocturne;n871360 said:
Pellicle,

How can you trust an article featuring a graph that indicates that a third of people who receive AVR under the age of 50 will be dead in fifteen years?

because I do not believe in "conspiracy theory" and the jounal is reputable:

Ann Thorac Surg 2013;95:1-66
DOI: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.01.083
Aortic Valve and Ascending Aorta Guidelines
for Management and Quality Measures

Writing Committee Members: Lars G. Svensson, MD, PhD (Chair),
David H. Adams, MD (Vice-Chair), Robert O. Bonow, MD (Vice-Chair),
Nicholas T. Kouchoukos, MD (Vice-Chair), D. Craig Miller, MD (Vice-Chair),
Patrick T. O’Gara, MD (Vice-Chair), David M. Shahian, MD (Vice-Chair),
Hartzell V. Schaff, MD (Vice-Chair), Cary W. Akins, MD, Joseph E. Bavaria, MD,
Eugene H. Blackstone, MD, Tirone E. David, MD, Nimesh D. Desai, MD, PhD,
Todd M. Dewey, MD, Richard S. D’Agostino, MD, Thomas G. Gleason, MD,
Katherine B. Harrington, MD, Susheel Kodali, MD, Samir Kapadia, MD,
Martin B. Leon, MD, Brian Lima, MD, Bruce W. Lytle, MD, Michael J. Mack, MD,
Michael Reardon, MD, T. Brett Reece, MD, G. Russell Reiss, MD, Eric E. Roselli, MD,
Craig R. Smith, MD, Vinod H. Thourani, MD, E. Murat Tuzcu, MD, John Webb, MD,
and Mathew R. Williams, MD

Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio; Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York; Northwestern University Medical School,
Chicago, Illinois; Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Inc, St. Louis, Missouri; Falk Cardiovascular Research Center, Palo Alto,
California; Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts; Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts; Mayo
Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota; Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Toronto General Hospital,
Toronto, Ontario; Technology Institute, Dallas, Texas; Lahey Clinic Medical Center, Burlington, Massachusetts; University of Pittsburgh
School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California; New York–Presbyterian
Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York;
Baylor Health Care System, Dallas, Texas; Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas; University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado; Dean Health
System, Madison, Wisconsin; Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia; and St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver, British
Columbia​

The figure cited is A in this Fig ref:
Fig 2. (A) Relationship of late survival to years after aortic valve
insertion in 13,258 patients, divided by aortic valve prosthesis.
(B) Survival by age.​

of course you may believe whatever you want ...

secondly I think you should understand the stats better and perhaps read it yourself ...

I downloaded it from the University where I worked, but a good public or state library will probably give you access, here is the URL:
http://www.annalsthoracicsurgery.org..._Supplement/S1

on your next point:

He said that barring complications, I would have a normal lifespan!

well I'm glad to see you finally admit you'll have a normal lifespan ... perhaps we can dispense with all the usual "I'm going to die" stuff. However to answer your question please observe your own point: barring complications. I would agree with your Dr ... a Mechanical valve will last you a normal lifespan ... but will everything else favor that?

As you have no idea what the situation of those less than 50 year olds were like it may just be they had a bunch of other co-morbidities ... if they were 49 at surgery then they lived till they were nearly 65. I would surmise that if I had not had the good treatment that I did with my post surgery infection that I may be part of that component who died. I keep saying there are more an wider parameters than people seem to wish to focus on ... take the blinkers off and look at the big picture.

So far I'm part of the surviving group

My dad looked deep in thought last week. I asked him what was on his mind '... Half of 500 is 250... I think about that a lot.'
It's not just about living long, for it's own sake.

Then there was this odd experience a few weeks ago. I was invited to talk to some bank guy about my account (some sort of 'annual check-up'). I thought he was in his 30s, but he was much younger. Nice guy, but for some reason it was awkward. Then he told me I was a spitting image of his father, who had recently died. I got all emotional thinking about how my kids would cope if I hadn't made it.

Death isn't scary, dying is though (you're still alive).

Death is nothing at all,
I have only slipped into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by my old familiar name,
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used
Put no difference in your tone,
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household world that it always was,
Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It it the same as it ever was, there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near,
Just around the corner.
All is well.
Henry Scott Holland

Agian;n871369 said:
My dad looked deep in thought last week....

yeah, I watched my mother die slowly from the degradation of dementure, not pretty, not for anyone

Death isn't scary, dying is though (you're still alive).

I'm ok with dying ... as long as its relatively quick and humane ... Hemlock may be an OK way

Agian;n871375 said:
"The longest-lived and the shortest-lived man, when they come to die, lose the same thing."

Marcus Aurelius

Right, right. The deaths of a 12 year old and a 97 year old are equally tragic. Right.

pellicle;n871370 said:
Death is nothing at all,
I have only slipped into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by my old familiar name,
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used
Put no difference in your tone,
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household world that it always was,
Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It it the same as it ever was, there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near,
Just around the corner.
All is well.
Henry Scott Holland

Right, right. The loss of one's life is no real loss at all. Right.

Isn't it a bit... CURIOUS, though, that every human society seems to have rules against murder? I mean, that's just weird, considering that (as this poem points out so well) when you die, you don't actually LOSE anything. I mean, I kill a man, and he hasn't actually LOST anything -- nor have his fellows -- so what's the big deal?

I am sorry, but I am not ready for self delusion.

All you are doing is pointing out that I have fallen down the rabbit hole, and that I'm going to have to go crazy, or else I'll go crazy.

"CHANGE PLACES!!!"

pellicle;n871355 said:
Hi
I think that what you have found is about right. Any long term study is usually invalidated by the claims that the new improved brand_x is better (with patented EWV as used by the Taylor's of the latest clothes for the Emperor

I seem to recall that porcine material yielded some slight improvements in duration, this is from my blog (sorry, it's late and I'm too slack to chase down the citation source [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/1.bp.blogspot.com\/-k2bYrQEdZbs\/Utj7DhIk4pI\/AAAAAAAAEiM\/1VQeWrqNWY0\/s1600\/pctSurvival-byType%252850yo%2529-752223.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.valvereplacement.org\/forums\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]

The whole post is here

​​​​​http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/01...r-choices.html

Although it's not a post specifically about tissue valves

Best wishes

Oh, man... Pellicle, I just noticed that that was YOUR blog. I had read through the linked page before but did not realize it.

That's some nice work.

Nocturne;n871404 said:
All you are doing is pointing out that I have fallen down the rabbit hole, and that I'm going to have to go crazy, or else I'll go crazy.

"CHANGE PLACES!!!"
Not everything written on this forum is about you.

Latest posts

Back