Tissue Valvers. How Old is Yours?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nearly 14 yrs for my porky pig, still going along well no problems apart from a small leak which my cardio said is nothing to worry about, only trouble is my mitral is leaking so keeping an eye on that one,

3 yrs and 1 month on Trifecta GT valve. All has been good until last visit with cardio in May. Now have mild to moderate leakage. Been doing annual visits but now doing every 3 months. It may be nothing or it may be turning into something. Wait and see

Received my Edwards Bovine Aortic valve on 1 July 2009 at age 66 yrs. Today exactly 11 years ago. Thus now 77 yrs old and no issues. Echo and stress test every 6 months (don't ask me why, insurance pays for it, I am happy) last one just before Lockdown in late March 2020. Everything was still fine...Next echo etc. in Sept

Four years on Trifecta tissue valve. Now 76 years old. Echo every year, 6 mo cardiologist checkup. Had a stent put in three months ago. Doing fine now.

Do all you tissue valvers have an Echo every year?
My cardio orders one for me annually and, thankfully, he says my valve looks great. :)

Am really surprised at the yearly echoes posted, wow are we talking echocardiogram? it has been 5-7 years since my last one.

Just had my 10 year anniversary on my St-Jude ESP100 aortic piggy and my Edwards 4450 Mitral ring, to replace my leaking aortic biscuspid and repair damaged mitral at 56 years old. Am a few weeks shy of 67.

81 mg aspirin for 10 years now, for optimal flow, downside is i now bruise easy and coagulation takes a while.

GP i have yearly visits, no murmur detected no problem
Had cardio visit early March, 1st in 3 years and days before Covid shutdown. We had discussed an electrocardiogram, i have no murmur, but it has been awhile since. Covid has put elective procedures on hold and having no issues, there is no urgency, nor desire to go to a hospital setting, unless necessary.

although it is variable, life expectancy of my piggy was estimated at 20-25 years or more, back then.
“it will be what it will be” am happy with my 2010 choice, asked for Bovine, got a piggy at surgeons call, likely size choice i assumed.

Am really surprised at the yearly echoes posted, wow are we talking echocardiogram? it has been 5-7 years since my last one.

Just had my 10 year anniversary on my St-Jude ESP100 aortic piggy and my Edwards 4450 Mitral ring, to replace my leaking aortic biscuspid and repair damaged mitral at 56 years old. Am a few weeks shy of 67.

81 mg aspirin for 10 years now, for optimal flow, downside is i now bruise easy and coagulation takes a while.

GP i have yearly visits, no murmur detected no problem
Had cardio visit early March, 1st in 3 years and days before Covid shutdown. We had discussed an electrocardiogram, i have no murmur, but it has been awhile since. Covid has put elective procedures on hold and having no issues, there is no urgency, nor desire to go to a hospital setting, unless necessary.

although it is variable, life expectancy of my piggy was estimated at 20-25 years or more, back then.
“it will be what it will be” am happy with my 2010 choice, asked for Bovine, got a piggy at surgeons call, likely size choice i assumed.

Yes people are talking echocardiogram. There is a lot of variability in the frequency of echos recommended in the literature and it's changed over the years. People with mechanical valves do not get them as frequently as those with tissue valves. For me with a mechanical, 5 years is what my cardio says my insurance company will authorize w/o an additional problem other than just having a mechanical valve. Some with tissue valves get them yearly. A murmur is a great sign of a problem, but there may be things that don't give a murmur. If you haven't had one in 5-7 years you may want to question your cardiologist about why. They are not cheap, so some countries may have different frequencies.

My Edwards bovine pericardial valve is 10 years and 5 months old. It has served me well. My last echo was recent and it showed moderate stenosis. Even so, I'm hoping this valve has a few more good years in it.
Great to hear. My father had an Edwards Bovine Tissue at the same time and has had a great ten years out of it. Still going strong!!

I am coming up on 2 years. Don't really know if I want an echo. It was nice being oblivious the 56 years prior to replacement :)

I got my Edwards bovine pericardial valve in May, 2005, so it is 15+ years old. At the same time, I also got a graft of the ascending aorta (Boston Scientific).

Both procedures went well. I was 60 years old at the time, so I am now 75. I am quite active, and the valve is still going strong.

Considering that mine is a mere 7 months old, and I was 67 at the time of repair, I find that quite encouraging!!! The bigger question now, for me, is whether the warranty will outlive the car! ;-)

I just passed 8 years on my St. Jude porcine mitral valve. My yearly physical with primary care physician (year ago) and my yearly appointment with my cardiologist (spring), both said valve sounded good. Cardiologist said I didn't need another echo for 3 years. I ran 3 miles yesterday so it must be working.

11 years and 2 months for me. Valve is now severely stenotic and mod-severe regurgitation, and I will be having another replacement within the next couple of months. I will be 55 years old.

Latest posts

Back