Tissue Valvers. How Old is Yours?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If nose bleeds are a factor I’m definitely staying away from mechanical valve / warfarin. Have had regular nose bleeds all my life. Being tall others would stir me by putting it down to high altitude:unsure:.

I have had 2 nose bleeds that stopped fairly quickly, first one bled a bit, bit just put a tissue in my nose. I have had 2 minor finger bleeds as well and all stopped fairly quickly and my INR has been running 2.5 - 3.5. While I understood the risk of bleeds with mechanical, the risks and costs of multiple OHS was not something I was will to deal with.

I have been on Warfarin since 2005, started having nose bleeds, did a online search and found that folks on Comedian, Warfarin etc need to take Gelatin which is just Jello. Started to drink hot Jello in place of coffee nose bleeds went away.

It has been 7 1/2 years since I got my St. Jude B100-25A and I just had my yearly echo and visit to my Cardiolgist. All good. The valve looks as good as when it was new. I'm a cyclist that does not take it easy. 7,000 to 9,000 miles per year with some challenging 100-130 mile events each year. It doesn't seem that elevated heart rates for 10 hours at a time have a negative effect on the durability of this tissue valve. My surgeon told me at my 6 week visit, "no restrictions". My Cardiologist says, "take it easy. Keep doing what your doing." Maybe I should ask him to go for a ride with me.
Jeff

I had my valve replacement in Oct 2015. I received a St. Jude Medical Trifecta Tissue Heart Valve TF-23A (Pig Valve). My decision was based on advice from my Dr. and lots of Prayer that God would lead me in the right direction. I am in my 4th year going strong. My meds only consist of one low dose aspirin once a day! That was one of the reason that I thought highly of a tissue valve! I am a active grandma with three grandchildren, 11, 4 and 2 that keep me going. By God's grace I hope to have a long life on mine. I have a echo once a year. This past July I had my echo done and they saw a spot in my aortic artery, I went in for a CT scan and my scan was normal so now they are saying that it was a artifact or fake spot. Prayers answered! I have some friends that have the mechanical valve and some with tissue. The friends with the mechanical have so many problems with meds and food and feel awful. While my friends with the tissue are like me and have very little problems at all.

My Edwards bovine pericardial aortic valve (Magna Perimount) is now 14+ years old (since May 2, 2005). It is still going strong, and I could not be more pleased. FYI, I was 60 years old at the time of the operation, now going on 75.
I have the same valve, implanted on June 5, 2005. You have a month’s seniority on me!😊

That sounds great. Where did you have it done? I wish everyone would state that because the procedure is only as good as the person that does it. Wishing you continued good health.

My Edwards Bovine valve is 4 years old. It is good to hear that many are much over 10 years old. I have echo every 6 months. Not sure why so often since I am told everything is "perfect"

Got a Sorin Mitroflow valve in October 2016 (age 63) and a carotid endarterectomy 6 weeks later. Take temisartin, spirinolactone and hydrochlorothyazide; 325 asprin daily. Echos every year, and function is excellent - virtually unchange over 4 years. surgery at Jacksonville FL Baptist Heart Center by Dr Still.

Latest posts

Back