Tissue Valvers. How Old is Yours?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

I have Carpentier Edwards bovine in mitral position and my valve is coming up to 4 1/2 years.
How old is yours?

I think this could be interesting.

I have Carpentier Edwards bovine in mitral position and my valve is coming up to 4 1/2 years.
How old is yours?

I think this could be interesting.

Mine is 2 years and 8 months old! I have a Carpenter Edwards Perimount in the Aortic position. :)

JKM
My Medtronic Mosaic AV was 6.5 years old when replaced last year. It was still OK at the time of replacement, 24mm hg pressure when replaced. Ascending Aortic aneurysm repair was required so an AVR redo was also done, so as not to do another AVR in 3-4 years. The surgeon estimated was that it was still another 3-4 years before the pressure reached 45mm+ hg the usual replacement criteria. At the time of the first surgery I was told to expect a 10+ years life from the valve so the estimate appears to have been fairly accurate. The new Carpentier Edwards bovine valve is 15 months old and still as new.

Last edited:
Happy to hear us tissue valvers are doing so well.

OldManEmu..... sorry you had to have another surgery so soon but good to hear your valve was performing up to expectation. Hopefully, this new generation of tissue valves is even longer lasting. :)

I've got a new valve too, my Edwards bovine pericardial valve is only 10 and a half months old (first one so far).

Rachel

My aortic CE bovine valve is about 2.5 years old.

It seems that after a period of time we don't hear from tissue valvers until it's re-op time or an issue comes up. Hopefully some of the 'older' ones will chime in.

Oink, oink!

My Medtronic Freestyle (porcine, combined aortic root & valve) is 7 1/2 years old, and working well.

I consider myself 7 years old because the day I got this lifesaving surgery I count as my re-birthday. :smile2:

So as my friends will tell you, I act with all the maturity of a 7-year-old! :tongue2:

It seems that after a period of time we don't hear from tissue valvers until it's re-op time or an issue comes up. Hopefully some of the 'older' ones will chime in.

Yes, those posting are probably more likely to be in the relatively recent "buyer" group, or also ready for a "trade-in", but still good to see, and many certainly stick around for the duration.

A few months to go for 2 years here, so my Edwards valve is still a toddler...well, a yearling I guess I should say. You know, my paternal grandfather raised cattle, and when I was having problems sleeping through the night after my surgery, my dad informed me that cows only sleep about 4 hours a day! So, it all makes sense...

Wishing everyone all the best. Most of the valves so far are just kids, but a lot of you folks better start saving up for college!

Do all you tissue valvers have an Echo every year?
My cardio orders one for me annually and, thankfully, he says my valve looks great. :)

Sorry to be late AND a wet blanket, but my 4.5 yr old Medtronic Mosaic has had slightly high gradients, but stable, since the beginning. However, gradients had increased on my most recent echo. The cardio insists that a new tech wouldn't account for the difference. I'm having another echo in 6 months. I'm trying not to worry about having a replacement in less than 10 years, rather than 15-20. It's not the surgery, but the period of decline beforehand I dread.

My CE Perimount is 4 years 2 months! Its quiet and happily working like a champ-
I don't even know that it's there until I log on here and am reminded about it.

I get echos about every 2 years.
John

Mooo! My Edwards bovine pericardial valve is only 15 months old. Still looking forward to a long time before needing to even think about another.

I think me and Steve were about a week or 2 apart...same valve.

I get a cardiac MRI annually by my surgeon to check my aortic root / ascending aorta replacement (one of the rare surgeons that follows his patients for life). Hopefully I will be around to go to his retirement party :biggrin2: (he is 41...10 years younger than me). Right now I also see my cardiologist annually and have an echo done.

Were you under 50 years old when you had it placed?
Valves placed in 1989 were younger generation and the expectation wasn't for them to last as long as the 'new and improved'. Hopefully ours have more longevity especially for those in the 60 year old range when they had the surgery. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back