Tissue Valvers. How Old is Yours?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my fleshy aortic and pulmanary valves are 12 Years old. Had a ROSS procedure 12 years ago at the age of 20 so technically both valves are tissue replacements. Had a bad bout of endocarditis 2 years ago at age 30 that nearly killed me. since then my aortic valve and root have been on the decline and I am scheduled to have both repaired in the next couple weeks. I have been told artificial is my only option at this point.

MrBig and Johnnycake - I am very interested, please, to know what your pressure gradient is through your tissue aortic valve, and how much it has changed from when your valve was implanted to now, that is if you know.

Ms. Paleo, I honestly don't know those numbers. But I am scheduled to for my annual echo in September. If you like I can let you know my stats then. Let me know.

johnnycake23;n866882 said:
Ms. Paleo, I honestly don't know those numbers. But I am scheduled to for my annual echo in September. If you like I can let you know my stats then. Let me know.
Yes please Johnny if you don't mind.

My tissue valve is just over 2 1/2 years old and my pressure gradient has been steadily rising, from peak 33 mmHg at implantation to 42 mmHg a couple of months ago,

I have had my tissue valve for 10 days.

It is the St Jude Trifecta valve with Glide Technology, model: TFGT-25A. My research on this valve shows that it was just got FDA approval in April, 2016.

I'm still gleaming information about it, like what does GT (Glide Technology) mean. I find it interesting, and funny, that it comes with a user manual, registration card and a one year warranty. :)

The point of having a valve so new is that, it is fairly the latest state of art technology. That means there is very little history or trials on it, but it may also last longer than one made 10 years ago. St Jude quotes the life span of this valve to be 8 - 20 years.

I'm still wondering about the one year warranty.

FredW;n866898 said:
I'm still wondering about the one year warranty.
:)

Mine, a CE Perimount Magna Ease valve, comes with a regsitration card with its serial number and very good customer services. On three occasions when I emailed Edwards Lifesciences with a question about my valve, one of their cardiologists has telephoned me !

Anne - I just reviewed the echo done in preparation for my pacemaker revision a couple of weeks ago. My Edwards valve is now 5 1/2 years new, and the AV gradients are 23.7 mm peak and 12.4 mm mean. They noted that, in general, the echo findings show "No significant change since the prior TEE study of 4/1/11 (which was just after the initial valve and pacemaker implants).

epstns;n866917 said:
Anne - I just reviewed the echo done in preparation for my pacemaker revision a couple of weeks ago. My Edwards valve is now 5 1/2 years new, and the AV gradients are 23.7 mm peak and 12.4 mm mean. They noted that, in general, the echo findings show "No significant change since the prior TEE study of 4/1/11 (which was just after the initial valve and pacemaker implants).
Thanks for this Steve - that sounds very good and healthy. When I have my next echo in November (third one this year) I shall push the cardiologist for reasons for my increase. Even if he doesn't know I shall want him to say that in his reports.

Wondering how much your gradient is up, Anne. Asking because mine (which is a mitral, note the scale is different) has really varied in different echos from 7 to 9 to 12 mmHg. 12 is bad, 9 is fine and dandy. Doc ordered a TEE at 12 and it came back at 9 again.

Until this recent episode I didn't really think to ask the accuracy range of the TTE. This might be a good question to ask your doc for your valve if you haven't - what is the "fine" and "concerning" ranges, and how accurate is the test. Certainly hoping yours doesn't get on an increasing trajectory.

dornole;n866924 said:
Wondering how much your gradient is up, Anne. Asking because mine (which is a mitral, note the scale is different) has really varied in different echos from 7 to 9 to 12 mmHg. 12 is bad, 9 is fine and dandy. Doc ordered a TEE at 12 and it came back at 9 again.

Until this recent episode I didn't really think to ask the accuracy range of the TTE. This might be a good question to ask your doc for your valve if you haven't - what is the "fine" and "concerning" ranges, and how accurate is the test. Certainly hoping yours doesn't get on an increasing trajectory.
Hi domole - my pressure gradient was 33 mmHg baseline four days post op, it has risen steadily, now at 42 mmHg. The last echo in May was done by a cardiologist who is, apparently, an international expert in echocardiograpphy so I would hope he is accurate. My cardiologist has decided for me to have another echo in November to see what's happening. The valve is functioning normally so I find this all a bit strange, hence I wonder how others' tissue valves have fared.

I haven't had a TEE - don't fancy one of those ! You must be relieved though that your mitral came back as fine on that - I believe that TEE gve better nformation than transthoracic echos.

Yes, the TEE is more accurate. I thought it was routine before surgery to allow the surgeon a good look at what s/he's getting into, so I'm surprised you haven't had one. But maybe you had something even better. I sure hope you're not en route to being "medically interesting." Boring is good. And yes I am relieved and sheepish for worrying. I should know better by now to "just wait." Easier said than done!

dornole;n866933 said:
Yes, the TEE is more accurate. I thought it was routine before surgery to allow the surgeon a good look at what s/he's getting into, so I'm surprised you haven't had one. But maybe you had something even better. !
No I’ve never had a TEE - except during heart surgery they did one, I read that in the operation notes, but of course I was unconscious then. Not long prior to heart surgery I had a regular echo and a CT angiogram. I suppose they worked it out from those, and everything looks much clearer for the surgeon when they're actually in there.

Anne - The TEE is not a big deal. They liberally apply some yucky numbing gel to your throat, then they just slide the probe down and have a look around. I had one done about 4 weeks post-op (valve replacement) when they were afraid that I might have had endocarditis. It was annoying, but not something I was really worried about. I worried far more about the cath.

Also, I've been told several times that the TEE is far more accurate than the usual transthoracic echo, so it may be better to have one now. At least you will know the current situation, and can monitor or react as needed.

If I remember the previous posts correctly, too, that your initial pressure gradients are higher than mine - for a similar valve. I wonder why, and also wonder why this wasn't discussed with you at the time of implant.

Hi Steve - I think the 'idea' of the TEE with something going down my throat (that I haven't volutarily swallowed !) is what's probably worse than the reality going by what you and others say. It's never been suggested that I have a TEE......yet. Yes, my initial gradient was higher than yours, 33 mmHg at four days post op, and the same model of valve as yours, though smaller. Apparently that can be considered 'normal' with the 19mm valve, though that wasn't discussed with me, I just found that out from good old Mr Yahoo. The fact that it's increasing is a puzzle, at least it is to me. I have to get the cardiologist to give a me a reason next appointment.

I was too gaggy to swallow the TEE probe so thinking "ugh gag" is the only thing I remember before so they used some kind of Plan B that I don't even remember. Trust me they'll make it work if needed!

My Edwards bovine pericardial valve is 10 years and 5 months old. It has served me well. My last echo was recent and it showed moderate stenosis. Even so, I'm hoping this valve has a few more good years in it.

Back