Tissue Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is obviously a mechanical valve site with members who refuse to acknowledge the scores of complaints from mechanical valve recipients. In addition the outright biased against tissue valves is apparent and for obvious reasons.. You already have mechanical valves ticking away in your chests. You also obviously weren’t well studied up on the ability to TAVR a tissue valve especially the new Edward’s valve. So a tissue valve may now last 30 years and add the TAVR and you may be at 30-40 years.

Point of order here.

1. In an earlier post you said this obviously is a site for mechanical valves. I have been on this site for a very long time. My profile says 2016 but I started lurking here, and may even have had an earlier account, many many many years earlier, certainly when a mechanical valve would have been my best option. Tissue or mechanical, this site and many of the interactions/support have/has been invaluable, and remains so...and part of my knowledge base.

2. On the TAVR issue. I don't think anybody knows how long any valve will last. Some people have tissue valves fail rather quickly, but most report 8-15 years. My surgeon gave me 8-12, with sizing for a new one via TAVR when the time comes.... assuming (and only Pellicle will laugh at this) I'm still here. I'm very realistic.... to the point of knowing that a TAVR is not guaranteed. We have no idea what the level of calcification will be and whether the slight leak in my mitral valve will get works or "remodel" to no leak as my heart adjusts to the new valve.... or whatever else comes along. As I wrote here at some point (or two or three) my surgeon, a lead investigator in the Resilia – he put the first one in a patient at the CC in 2018 – still chose an older model for me.

3. There is no right or wrong. It's very personal. Even at my age my surgeon gave me the pros/cons of tissue vs mechanical and had me choose. He told me he agreed with my choice, but then felt the older model was better for me.

4. I hate to see anybody get testy here. Not worth it. If having to get a new valve teaches you nothing else, it's to reduce the tension, not increase it. Pellicle figured that one out a long time ago. I'm slowly getting there. Many of us do an enormous amount of research, and while we're not experts, it's often about little more than being as informed as possible.

Cheers,
Herb

Last edited:
Lastly you are not the final arbiter for the majority of mechanical valve recipients. Did you take a pole of every one of them to come up with the conclusion that the majority of them don’t have issues? Come on man!

In my memory of my 12 years on this site, I can think of a couple participants who had very real issues with mechanical valves. One was a blood issue that just didn’t work with warfarin. A couple that needed panus (scar tissue) addressed. Most of the ticking and INR management issues are raised in the first six months or so post op as the individual heals and adjusts. They don’t need to be told it’s awful and they made a bad choice. They need to know that it gets better and people have long normal lives that they enjoy.

I have searched for the YouTube complaints you often mention. It seems to be from this group. Recent recipients still recovering and adjusting. Us long term folks are here to tell people that it gets better. Recovery is a bear. No question.

I really don’t know what you think you’re trying to accomplish with your posts.

Lastly don’t try to contradict my facts which come from 20-30 year practicing surgeons

You have actually not presented any facts which you can support with evidence. You do not understand what a clinical trial is. You do not understand the difference between anecdotal evidence, heresay and actual published data. You come here and say that the new valves will last 25-30years +. You need to support that with evidence. Saying that you heard this on YouTube or that your surgeon told you this is not evidence.

Everyone here hopes that the new tissue valves last 25-30+ years. No can say with any degree of certainty that they will with only 5 years of human data. What people want is for others to make an informed decision, based on evidence and based on the reality of each valve, not myths. You have attempted to spread many myths about warfarin along with your misinformation about how long a person can expect a tissue valve to last.

If you continue to spread misinformation which you can't support, people who have actually lived through the surgery and who have some level of understanding of evidence will push back against your unsupported claims.

Last edited:
This is obviously a mechanical valve site with members who refuse to acknowledge the scores of complaints from mechanical valve recipients. In addition the outright biased against tissue valves is apparent and for obvious reasons.. You already have mechanical valves ticking away in your chests. You also obviously weren’t well studied up on the ability to TAVR a tissue valve especially the new Edward’s valve. So a tissue valve may now last 30 years and add the TAVR and you may be at 30-40 years.

You come on this forum as tho you are THE expert in post surgical living and yet you have almost no post op experience. You are what is called a "newbie" to all of this and not quite dry around the ears yet. For the casual visitor to this site, you have only been a member of the forum for less than six months....and according to your bio you had your OHS less than six months ago, you are an older man age 66? and retired. If your bio is true your choice of a tissue valve makes sense for an "old" man........I'd do the same thing at your age. However, if I were a young person.......AGAIN, I'd make the decision to "go for the long haul" and get a "tried and true" mechanical valve.

Coming from someone who calls people on here “old” men and newbies I highly doubt your posts will be taken seriously.

In my memory of my 12 years on this site, I can think of a couple participants who had very real issues with mechanical valves. One was a blood issue that just didn’t work with warfarin. A couple that needed panus (scar tissue) addressed. Most of the ticking and INR management issues are raised in the first six months or so post op as the individual heals and adjusts. They don’t need to be told it’s awful and they made a bad choice. They need to know that it gets better and people have long normal lives that they enjoy.

I have searched for the YouTube complaints you often mention. It seems to be from this group. Recent recipients still recovering and adjusting. Us long term folks are here to tell people that it gets better. Recovery is a bear. No question.

I really don’t know what you think you’re trying to accomplish with your posts.

Coming from someone who calls people on here “old” men and newbies I highly doubt your posts will be taken seriously.

The posts by @dick0236 are taken very seriously. He has more experience with a prosthetic valve than anyone else here. And, in that he is old enough to be your dad, he gets a pass to refer to you as old. He was not attacking your age, but just pointing out that when someone is older, a tissue valve becomes a very reasonable choice. Stop thinking that every comment someone makes is an attack against you.

Most valve surgery patients aren’t on this board and I can now see why. It’s all one sided. In addition to the very slanted and biased views, the name calling alone would make most people leave. To that end, Ciao!

Nice one le ... take a swipe at the most well liked, genteel honest and well spoken member of this forum.

If the actual truth hurts you, then you must be WOKE (who in my view are the most asleep subset of the sheep)

1639857105374.png

I am convinced that you mate are either a troll or a misguided old duffa who thinks having done some tiny amount of research are a fully qualified exspurt, and going back in my ignore list.

You seem to think 66 is old, given your comment here:
When you read about OHS for age 85 and up the outcomes are still generally very positive.

by positive I assume you mean 100% never required reoperations. Had it occured to you that's because death is far more likely as they age? But I suppose your one of the "age is just a number" believers.

Your post history shows 90% of just combat and argument, and you took your first swerve here:

Remember yes a tissue valve may only last 10-20 years but your age is a factor.
something you now seem to ignore

Also the resillia tissue valve which I had put in 3 weeks ago can fairly simply get a tavr so it’s possible to get 30 years without a need for a second ohs. I chose tissue because I am 66 and did not want to hear a ticking sound, be on lifetime blood thinners

and good for you and at 66 that's a reasonable choice which I suspect few (certainly not me) would dispute. However if you consider (as I've said to you before) others have different situations. For instance my mechanical valve has been there 10 years now. It will be 20 years by the time I'm 66 and for an active man of 47 no tissue valve would last 20 years.

You ignore horses for courses and have swung full arc to now be spouting unsupportable nonsense ... which appeard to start in that post too with:

and worry about the infections that mechanical valves are more susceptible to.

which has been shown to be the first of your misapprehensions which you double down on ... this is not uncommon and widely researched in psychology (for others because I know you won't read this):

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-discussion-gets-nowhere.html
let me quote the signficant relevant portion to you here:

ELEANOR HALL: So not only did they not believe the facts that you were putting before them; they actually reinforced the incorrect views they originally had.​
JASON REIFLER: Exactly.​
ELEANOR HALL: What hope is there then for truth in politics?​
JASON REIFLER: The downside of the research that my co-author and I have done to date is that it's very depressing. We don't have a terribly good understanding yet of ways to try and improve public debate, to try and improve political dialogue.​

I hope the problem is that you are just suffering from post perfusion syndrome and don't see it (sort of a medically induced Dunning Kruger).

Seldom does a graph show a position better than yours than what I put in that blog post.
1639858375788.png

You write as if you are a seasoned expert but you are not even in the first year of this. Your research seems to have been purely confirmation bias.

1639858612797.png

Interestingly your previously published stance was this:

I was all in on a mechanical valve until I stopped and weighed the pros and cons for me. If I was 55 or younger it would have been an easy choice to go mechanical. All that being said, it’s a personal choice and there is. I wrong or right option. Be open minded, read up and listen to the doctors.
again from that above cited post. That was your ninth post, and you've now posted something like 36 posts, none of which is:
  • reasoned
  • supportive
  • helpful
  • accepting of anything or any evidence others bring up

So, I see your mind is now closed on the matter, therefore so is mine about you.

Goodbye to you
1639858167725.png

Last edited:

It may appear to you there is a mechanical valve bias on this forum, but keep in mind that many of us had their valve implanted long ago and at a young age. In other words before TAVR, before Inspiris Resilia. We had to decide based on the options available to us. Neither INR management or valve noise has been an issue for me. The mechanical valve was the right choice in comparison to the near certain need for reoperation by now if I had gone the tissue valve route.

I have a relative in his mid 80s who recently had TAVR and is doing well. I had other relatives 20+ years ago who were in their 70-80s who had valve disease and would have benefited tremendously from that procedure, but of course it did not exist.

Those newer options are great to have now and might result in a different decision today, but you cannot compare decisions today with decisions made 15,20,30+ years ago when the options were very different.

@le19555

I would encourage you to step back for a moment and take a look at your behavior since you first joined this forum about 6 months ago. There seems to be a consistent pattern. I’ve noticed the following repeat behaviors:

• You don’t accept it when people tell you an uncomfortable truth and lash out against them
  • You embrace misinformation and eagerly spread it- you’ve done this several times over the course of months.
Take your very first post here for example. You came here and informed us about how you had just been diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis with a pressure gradient of 86mmHg. Your cardiologist recommended surgery, as would any competent cardiologist whose patient had a pressure gradient of 86. But, your reaction was not to trust him. You did not like this reality and did not accept it. You said:

“I feel my cardiologist who specializes in AVR is pushing me too soon to surgery”

In the same post, you sought advice from the members here. You were given lots of good advice. Primarily, you were told that you needed to take this diagnosis seriously.

You did not listen to anyone.

You did not listen to your cardiologist.

You did not listen to any of the members here.

Instead, you later posted about some cure you had discovered on the internet to reverse aortic stenosis.

You said:

“How about three studies on reversal of aortic calcification through significantly raising HDL levels? I have links.”

You never provided any links when requested. Rather than face the inevitable valve surgery before you, it made you feel good to believe that you could reverse your aortic stenosis and accepted as truth something which is complete unproven BS. In a later post you would later reveal that you believed you could reverse aortic stenosis or delay your surgery with healthy eating and exercise.

Then, the foolishness of your denial of reality and embrace of misinformation caught up with you in November 2021. Your post was humble- getting valve surgery often has a way of humbling people.

You said: “I was the guy since April 2021 who thought I could just exercise and eat right and somehow postpone avr, big mistake. On 11/7/21 I was walking to my car and barely made it. My son was with me and watch me pass out for a good minute in the drivers seat. He called 911 and I was ambulanced to White Oak Medical and had my valve replaced 4 days later.”

So, rather than face reality, rather than listen to your cardiologist, rather than listen to the members of this forum, you lived in denial, embracing misinformation, and only received your surgery as an emergency. You are lucky to be alive. Do you realize this pattern of denying reality almost killed you? It is a good thing that your son was with you to rush you to emergency.

It seems that you did pick up some wisdom following your surgery. Good for you in encouraging others to not do as you did and not wait so long.

But, the lesson that you seem to have not learned is your pattern of not being able to discern between fact and fiction. The number of times that you have repeated misinformation is becoming too high to count. You are telling people that tissue valves will last 25-30+ years, despite the lack of any evidence of this. You are also spreading misinformation about what it is like to live with a mechanical valve, in terms of warfarin management and your claims that most people are driven mad by the clicking.

Despite your path of denial and misinformation, you ended up being one of the lucky ones who made it to emergency in time for a new valve. Congratulations on your successful valve surgery and good luck with your new tissue valve. You have accused me and most others here as being anti-tissue, but that is just because you’re not listening. As I have told you before, I would have gone tissue if I was your age- 66. Age is probably the biggest factor that one needs to consider in determining which valve is most appropriate.

I am not going to sit here and let you spread misinformation about either valve. To tell a 45 year old person that they will get 30+ years from a tissue valve is encouraging them to take the blue pill. A 45 year old may very well decide that tissue is their best option- it is a personal choice, but that decision should be as informed as possible. Filling people’s heads with the expectation that tissue valves will last 25-30+years, calling warfarin rat poison and suggesting that most people go crazy from the clicking of a mechanical valve, well, your spreading misinformation. You’re muddying the waters in what is already a difficult decision for people.

You should feel good about your valve. You seem happy with your decision, even if the decision was forced upon you. Please stop spreading misinformation.

seems like a pattern ... maybe its not post perfusion induced after all

You should feel good about your valve. You seem happy with your decision,

a good outcome for him and in my view not likely to cause problems in the future. so Hear Hear

Please stop spreading misinformation.

an unqualified Hear Hear.

As an "older man" of 85 who has had an artificial valve since you were a "pre-teenager" I would pit my lifetime of valve experience against yours anytime. Frankly, your postings seem to try to convince yourself that you made a good decision for yourself......and at your "advanced age" of 66 you probably did.

After you have been on this forum for a few more months you will find most of the posters seem to be younger than us "old" men.....and much more likely to have received a long lasting mechanical valve........and by younger, I mean under 60 or so. While it is true that most valves being implanted are "tissue", it is also true that most of valve patients are in the beginning, or well into, old age (above 60) and tissue type valves should last long enough.

When you speak of “old” men, speak for yourself. “Old” is not a well defined term, and quite frankly I am no old man. I’ll put my athletic skills up against most 40 year olds.

Trolls are to be ignored. Logic,reason, and facts are not the issue. Similar to anti vaxxers.
Anti-Vaxers? Lol Is that like anti-soinachers? People who don’t like spinach. I’m a Trump supporter does that make me a trumper? What are Biden supporters? Biders?

@le19555

I would encourage you to step back for a moment and take a look at your behavior since you first joined this forum about 6 months ago. There seems to be a consistent pattern. I’ve noticed the following repeat behaviors:

• You don’t accept it when people tell you an uncomfortable truth and lash out against them
  • You embrace misinformation and eagerly spread it- you’ve done this several times over the course of months.
Take your very first post here for example. You came here and informed us about how you had just been diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis with a pressure gradient of 86mmHg. Your cardiologist recommended surgery, as would any competent cardiologist whose patient had a pressure gradient of 86. But, your reaction was not to trust him. You did not like this reality and did not accept it. You said:

“I feel my cardiologist who specializes in AVR is pushing me too soon to surgery”

In the same post, you sought advice from the members here. You were given lots of good advice. Primarily, you were told that you needed to take this diagnosis seriously.

Instead, you later posted about some cure you had discovered on the internet to reverse aortic stenosis.

You said:

“How about three studies on reversal of aortic calcification through significantly raising HDL levels? I have links.”

You never provided any links when requested. Rather than face the inevitable valve surgery before you, it made you feel good to believe that you could reverse your aortic stenosis and accepted as truth something which is complete unproven BS. In a later post you would later reveal that you believed you could reverse aortic stenosis or delay your surgery with healthy eating and exercise.

Then, the foolishness of your denial of reality and embrace of misinformation caught up with you in November 2021. Your post was humble- getting valve surgery often has a way of humbling people.

You said: “I was the guy since April 2021 who thought I could just exercise and eat right and somehow postpone avr, big mistake. On 11/7/21 I was walking to my car and barely made it. My son was with me and watch me pass out for a good minute in the drivers seat. He called 911 and I was ambulanced to White Oak Medical and had my valve replaced 4 days later.”

So, rather than face reality, rather than listen to your cardiologist, rather than listen to the members of this forum, you lived in denial, embracing misinformation, and only received your surgery as an emergency. You are lucky to be alive. Do you realize this pattern of denying reality almost killed you? It is a good thing that your son was with you to rush you to emergency.

It seems that you did pick up some wisdom following your surgery. Good for you in encouraging others to not do as you did and not wait so long.

But, the lesson that you seem to have not learned is your pattern of not being able to discern between fact and fiction. The number of times that you have repeated misinformation is becoming too high to count. You are telling people that tissue valves will last 25-30+ years, despite the lack of any evidence of this. You are also spreading misinformation about what it is like to live with a mechanical valve, in terms of warfarin management and your claims that most people are driven mad by the clicking.

Despite your path of denial and misinformation, you ended up being one of the lucky ones who made it to emergency in time for a new valve. Congratulations on your successful valve surgery and good luck with your new tissue valve. You have accused me and most others here as being anti-tissue, but that is just because you’re not listening. As I have told you before, I would have gone tissue if I was your age- 66. Age is probably the biggest factor that one needs to consider in determining which valve is most appropriate.

I am not going to sit here and let you spread misinformation about either valve. To tell a 45 year old person that they will get 30+ years from a tissue valve is encouraging them to take the blue pill. A 45 year old may very well decide that tissue is their best option- it is a personal choice, but that decision should be as informed as possible. Filling people’s heads with the expectation that tissue valves will last 25-30+years, calling warfarin rat poison and suggesting that most people go crazy from the clicking of a mechanical valve, well, your spreading misinformation. You’re muddying the waters in what is already a difficult decision for people.

You should feel good about your valve. You seem happy with your decision, even if the decision was forced upon you. Please stop spreading misinformation.
Chuck, That seems to be a nice book you wrote but way too long to read for most people. If anyone is lashing out it is obvious to any half way intelligent reader that you are the one doing the name calling and lashing out. Merry Christmas.

Nice one le ... take a swipe at the most well liked, genteel honest and well spoken member of this forum.

If the actual truth hurts you, then you must be WOKE (who in my view are the most asleep subset of the sheep)

View attachment 888298

I am convinced that you mate are either a troll or a misguided old duffa who thinks having done some tiny amount of research are a fully qualified exspurt, and going back in my ignore list.

You seem to think 66 is old, given your comment here:

by positive I assume you mean 100% never required reoperations. Had it occured to you that's because death is far more likely as they age? But I suppose your one of the "age is just a number" believers.

Your post history shows 90% of just combat and argument, and you took your first swerve here:

something you now seem to ignore

and good for you and at 66 that's a reasonable choice which I suspect few (certainly not me) would dispute. However if you consider (as I've said to you before) others have different situations. For instance my mechanical valve has been there 10 years now. It will be 20 years by the time I'm 66 and for an active man of 47 no tissue valve would last 20 years.

You ignore horses for courses and have swung full arc to now be spouting unsupportable nonsense ... which appeard to start in that post too with:

which has been shown to be the first of your misapprehensions which you double down on ... this is not uncommon and widely researched in psychology (for others because I know you won't read this):

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-discussion-gets-nowhere.html
let me quote the signficant relevant portion to you here:

ELEANOR HALL: So not only did they not believe the facts that you were putting before them; they actually reinforced the incorrect views they originally had.​
JASON REIFLER: Exactly.​
ELEANOR HALL: What hope is there then for truth in politics?​
JASON REIFLER: The downside of the research that my co-author and I have done to date is that it's very depressing. We don't have a terribly good understanding yet of ways to try and improve public debate, to try and improve political dialogue.​

I hope the problem is that you are just suffering from post perfusion syndrome and don't see it (sort of a medically induced Dunning Kruger).

Seldom does a graph show a position better than yours than what I put in that blog post.
View attachment 888300

You write as if you are a seasoned expert but you are not even in the first year of this. Your research seems to have been purely confirmation bias.

View attachment 888301
Interestingly your previously published stance was this:

again from that above cited post. That was your ninth post, and you've now posted something like 36 posts, none of which is:
  • reasoned
  • supportive
  • helpful
  • accepting of anything or any evidence others bring up

So, I see your mind is now closed on the matter, therefore so is mine about you.

Goodbye to you
View attachment 888299

I see so this is a good ole boys club and no one is to take issue or debate popular people. Nice Pell. Btw I think you have way too much free time on your hands.

Latest posts

Back