Tissue Valve Turns 14

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycake23

Two-time AVR Vet
Greetings,

It was 14 years ago today that I had my once-repaired aortic valve replaced with a C/E bovine valve at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. It was not the smoothest road to recovery (collapsed lung, blood transfusion) but the staff there was great. And the last echo earlier this year showed that "the valve sounds fine."

Truth is, in all this time I've had more trouble with my rhythm than with the valve itself. I've had to deal with skipped heart beats and several prescription adjustments to regulate it, but it's something I just have to learn to live with (PVCs suck, in case you're wondering where I come down on that topic).

I know because it's a tissue that the valve will lose its utility sooner or later, but it made it to 14, which is a nice run. Next echo is in January, so we'll see how she checks in entering her 15th year.

Thank you for reading, and for the support you give me and others.

Johnny

Greetings,

It was 14 years ago today that I had my once-repaired aortic valve replaced with a C/E bovine valve at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. It was not the smoothest road to recovery (collapsed lung, blood transfusion) but the staff there was great. And the last echo earlier this year showed that "the valve sounds fine."

Truth is, in all this time I've had more trouble with my rhythm than with the valve itself. I've had to deal with skipped heart beats and several prescription adjustments to regulate it, but it's something I just have to learn to live with (PVCs suck, in case you're wondering where I come down on that topic).

I know because it's a tissue that the valve will lose its utility sooner or later, but it made it to 14, which is a nice run. Next echo is in January, so we'll see how she checks in entering her 15th year.

Johnny
If I were you, I would replace the valve selectively asap. My local cardiologist kept telling me I was exaggerating my symptoms, and that my valve was fine; and I almost dropped dead.

Greetings,

Johnny
I too have PVC's, very annoying. I don't have any symptoms, but when it happens, 4-6 x's/minute, feels like my heart wants to jump out of my chest. I'm 7 months post AVR and aorta graft. How is yours managed? Do you continue to have PVC's even with meds? I'm not taking anything. Interestingly, if I lay on my right side, I don't get any, so that's how I sleep. Also, seems to only happen when I'm at my resting heart rate, I don't seem to get any when I work out, play squash, etc. Have they discussed ablation with you? All the best.

Thanks to all for the responses. This note was meant more for to address the age-old "how long will a tissue valve last?" discussion. This is just my entry into those annals. I'd be happy to address my PVCs (which I have in different forums) but not here, as this is more celebratory and informative on tissue valve longevity. When the time comes that there's a significant incident with my PVCs, I'll post in the general forum discussion.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond and for the good wishes. Wishing you all a safe and happy holiday season.

Johnny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back