Tissue valve and taking probiotics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollyn

Hello, it's been quite awhile since I've posted on this site. I have a tissue valve that replaced my BAV in September 2018. I currently am on anitbiotics and my dentist and cardiologist both recommending taking a probiotic. However read online that it might not be advised. Anyone have any comments on this?

can't imagine why it would be any issue ... probiotics are just food after all.

If it was harmful why would your cardiologist recommend it to you?

Whenever I've been on antibiotics my GP, dentist, consultant, have recommended that I take probiotics. However, if you're currently taking the antibiotics then taking probiotics at the same time could probably be a waste of money snce the antibiotics would zap the good bacteria in the probiotics, but once you finish the course of antibiotics then taking probiotics is very important. Eating live yoghurt is also advised, but often probiotic capsules contain several different strains of bacertia which are beneficial.

Whenever I've been on antibiotics my GP, dentist, consultant, have recommended that I take probiotics. However, if you're currently taking the antibiotics then taking probiotics at the same time could probably be a waste of money snce the antibiotics would zap the good bacteria in the probiotics, but once you finish the course of antibiotics then taking probiotics is very important. Eating live yoghurt is also advised, but often probiotic capsules contain several different strains of bacertia which are beneficial.
Thanks for the tips🙂

There is more nonsense written about nutrition than probably any other topic in the world. Also terms like Probiotic are really golden. Whoever first dreamed that up ought to get some sort of Nobel in advertising. Long term use of antibiotics may change your gut flora and alter your gut biome. Certain bacteria like C. difficile may overgrow and cause problems. Short term use of antibiotics generally is well tolerated.

There is more nonsense written about nutrition than probably any other topic in the world. Also terms like Probiotic are really golden. Whoever first dreamed that up ought to get some sort of Nobel in advertising. Long term use of antibiotics may change your gut flora and alter your gut biome. Certain bacteria like C. difficile may overgrow and cause problems. Short term use of antibiotics generally is well tolerated.
[/QUOTE
What would be considered short term use?

A week or less would be relatively short term.
Depends also on the antibiotic and the dose.
Unfortunately antibiotics are still overused for many things that don’t require them.

Latest posts

Back