Time off after surgery

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

G

Hello everyone,

Just curious how how long you needed to take off for a second surgery ? Were you able to go back to a desk job within 4-6 weeks or did you need more/less time ?

Thank you!

almost_hectic

Your age and type of work you do may factor in, but I would think 4-6 weeks may be ambitious. Plus it doesnt allow time for cardiac rehab, which not all doctors will recommend but I certainly would.

SumoRunner

I had a desk job, software engineer. I was only 43 at the time and in super physical shape. I got antsy to go back after 4 weeks but the doctor and even my company insisted I take the full 6 weeks allotted. I actually tried to start running again at 5 weeks and that was not comfortable at all, but by week 6 I could go a few hundred yards without slowing to walk.

Superman

I took a full six weeks, but it was all fully covered medical leave time, so I didn’t consider going back earlier. Don’t recall if I could have or not. I did stop in to say hi to everyone before my official return just out of boredom. I waited the full six to drive too, just to err on the side of caution.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
on my last surgery I was off for 6 weeks (iirc) but came back part time. I was fortunate that my wife could drive me to work so I could do the 8 weeks without driving (the time suggested for allowing full sternum healing).

I think its unwise to attempt to "guess" this as it really can be "how you feel" and "what else complicates things".

Best Wishes

alesia

I was 39 yrs old and work at home doing childcare. I took a whole 2 weeks : ) I didn' t lift any kids but kicked step stools for them to use to get into playpens. lol I can 't believe the kids listened! I am going for my 2nd surgery hopefully soon. And i will take a bit longer as I am 45 yrs and heal alot slower. I love my job but they deserve to have me at100%

Rob88

My surgeon told me to take a full 12 weeks off. When I initially heard this leading up to surgery I thought it was too long and wanted to make it back earlier. Once I had my surgery I realized I didn't need to rush back(was still being paid close to full) and I took my time and enjoyed my recovery. I was 28 years old, though my job is somewhat physical requiring me to push stretchers and transfer patients from bed to bed.

spartangator

As others have stated, it's a situation requiring judgment based on how you feel. In a month, you'll be able to do some desk-based work, but the fatigue will most likely still be significant, and the ability to focus will be re-developing, too. Take the time you can to allow yourself to progress appropriately slowly. Cardiac therapy is excellent for measuring and encouraging progress as well.

Savymom

Thank you for your replies! I guess I was posting this question as a guest for some reason. I work a desk job and was hoping to go back to work part time after 4-5 weeks- but I really don’t know. My last surgery was 13 years ago and I don’t remember how I felt at 4 weeks, 5 weeks etc. I just remember being extremely tired.

DachsieMom

I took 8 weeks and then worked from home for a few weeks. At 8 weeks, I still tired from heavy mental concentration so it was helpful to be home. I think it helped my long-term recovery.

DDT77

I'm about four months from second go around (1st at age 20), AVR through hemi-arch this time. Twenty years between...
Shoved some snow about 2 weeks after :) - some motions - no discomfort, other motions - not doing that... Boredom really set in about 3 weeks into recovery.. forget watching tv for content or reading books, major ADD. Went back to office at six weeks, effective for a few hours a day at that point, then if only going through motions, not a lot of concentration needed, then relatively ok for about six hours a day. Last few hours each day was ADD.
Lately, can go about six hours with reasonable concentration. However, if much discussion (multiple people talking at once), then quickly fatigued. Taking a little time to recover between topics / tasks helps. If topic for discussion is old (well known prior to surgery) then less fatigue. If new in last months: challenged...

Latest posts