Ticklish Question!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toasted Gringo

I’m getting psyched-up for traditional OHS next week (Sept. 16th). I’ve seen a couple references of being given a full surgical body shave (neck to toe) prior to surgery. Tell me it “AIN’T SO”! I don’t mind the shave but, from past experience, I tend to be a little shy and ticklish in ‘certain’ areas. Any chance it’s done while I’m sedated?

Ha ha! Before my first op (fairly routine) I didn't get anything shaved. My second was on an emergency basis and in case they needed access to my groin (??) I had to endure a shave . . . and I was awake, and I wasn't allowed to do it myself! Ask your surgeon's office what their protocol is!

And good luck for the surgery!

They did me neck to knees and yes, that included the groin. It wasn't all the groin, but more than I expected and more than seemed appropriate. I'm sure this was maybe 30 minutes after I had taken the first oral dose of whatever tranquilizer they gave me.

It's all done in a very professional and matter-of-fact manner while you're still in the prep area. The person doing the shaving will probably give you a folded up towel so you can keep your private parts covered and out of the way of the clippers.

Well if you're a guy with a very hairy chest, yes, they will shave your chest due for sanitary reasons. And both sides of your groin may be shaved just in case they need access to perform a quick angio. Don't sweat it....believe me, there's nothing they haven't seen and nothing you won't get used to.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Godspeed!

I had a very lovely (and professional) nurse do it on both sides when I had my angiogram done and thankfully I was unconscious when shaved for the AVR surgery that took place 4 weeks later. It's my experience that modesty will be the least of your concerns after surgery.

Mine was done in two stages...chest in the prep area, the rest (the full monty) done after I was the OR and sedated. biggest problem was the itchiness as it all grew back..

For my angiogram, there was no shaving. Doc went in at the beltline, not the groin. Not sure why and for surgery, no known shaving as I had only one hair on my chest and it was still there after surgery.

Modesty and OHS do not go hand in hand. By the time they get done with us, there is little modesty left. They are mostly very professional and try to be as discreet and respectful as possible but in the end, they need to work on us and it is what it is. Speaking only for myself, though usually a moderately modest person, I gave it up with my first OHS and by my second I knew what to expect.

After having gone through 7 years in the military in the 1970's, OHS was nothing new, modesty-wise. If you go in with none, you have nothing to lose.

Modern technology makes the shaving easier to deal with, too. Many years ago I underwent surgery for a hernia. Had that shave with shaving cream and a blade razor. Ugh! Fast forward 40-some years and for both the cath and OHS they used electric clippers. Much faster, safer, and no big deal at all (other than the usual issues as the hair grows back. . . ).

When waiting for my angiogram, i was amazed to see a fellow Scot that I knew from the gambling establishment was doing the shaving! He had a couple of side-kicks with him, who had a great laugh at the expression on my face.
My chest was shaved for the Aorta valve replacement. Over two years now, and still competitive running!
See Ya

When I had my pre-surgery angiogram, they accepted the shave-job I did myself. I'm sure they would have done it again if it wasn't good enough! They didn't shave anything before my OHS; I guess they figured if they needed another angiogram, it would be easy enough to do it.

Obviously I'm a woman; I'm sure a man needs his chest shaved for OHS! But just go get it all waxed off a week before, and you won't have to worry about it! ;)

Thanks for all the responses and words of encouragement.

I had my pre-admission exam yesterday. I’ll be having an AVR, MVR, two grafts and one other plumbing procedure this coming Monday, 09/16/13. I was told the actual surgery will take 5 to 7 hours.

Interestingly, I was told by my anesthesiologist that there are two ‘teams’ of operating room staff (including another surgeon and ‘gas passer’) who relieve each other for breaks during long surgeries.

As for my concern about the full “surgical body shave”, my anesthesiologist said don’t worry about it; I’ll be pre-sedated, still awake, but not have a clue or care about what’s happening.

One day to go………..

When I had my pre-surgery angiogram, they accepted the shave-job I did myself. I'm sure they would have done it again if it wasn't good enough! They didn't shave anything before my OHS; I guess they figured if they needed another angiogram, it would be easy enough to do it. <br />
<br />
Obviously I'm a woman; I'm sure a man needs his chest shaved for OHS! But just go get it all waxed off a week before, and you won't have to worry about it! ;)<br/>

Sorry sister WAX on my chest that ain't happening! !!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I am VERY ticklish, and shaving was probably when I suffered the most while in the hospital. Two ladies came in the night before surgery, and my wife had to help one of them hold me (they were both basically sitting on top of me to hold me still, or trying to), while the other lady used her electric shaver on my chest, armpits, upper internal thighs, legs near the feet, wrists. They said they had never seen anything like it. After that, surgery and recovery were easy. I am glad I went for a mechanical valve, I do not think I would bear another shaving session ;)

But that is just me...

Two ladies came in the night before surgery, and my wife had to help one of them hold me (they were both basically sitting on top of me to hold me still, or trying to), while the other lady used her electric shaver on my chest, armpits, upper internal thighs, legs near the feet, wrists. They said they had never seen anything like it.
What's the name of the hospital?

Back