Ticking Time Bomb

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Ski Girl came up with an interesting name for the mechanical valves that many of have had implanted in our chests. She called hers a 'ticking time bomb.'

I've had mine (St. Jude) since 1991. I've gotten to where I don't really hear it -- and my wife doesn't seem to be hearing it, either. My daughter visited this weekend and SHE was able to hear it very clearly -- she even told me when to take a break, based on my heart rate. It was rather surprising to learn that SOME people can still hear this thing.

SO -- I know it ticks - and even if it may not be as loud as when I first got it, some people can still hear it.

Now - to the time bomb thing:

I guess that, in principle, these things really CAN BE thought of as time bombs -- but they aren't really designed for spectacular failures like some devices may be. From what I recall, the expected life for the St. Jude is about 40 years or so.

So, here's my question -- do these valves give any warning of impending failure? Aside from occasional echocardiograms (or other testing), is it possible to predict a valve's failure so that something can be done proactively? I know that work's still being done to do repairs without cracking the chest open - and it may be good to know that 30 years from now, such a repair will be an in office or outpatient procedure -- but until then, do we look at these things as ticking time bombs?

How far away was your daughter when she heard your valve ticking and what had you just been doing -- weight-lifting, running a marathon, sleeping, watching TV, etc.?
Nearly 10 years post-op, I seldom hear my valve ticking and that's only in a small tiled room, such as a bathroom. My niece & nephew heard my valve a couple of days post-op, standing beside my hospital bed. One other person has heard it, in February 2004, in a tiled bathroom at a hotel room we were sharing.
It may be ticking away, but I don't think of my valve as a "time bomb." I don't worry about it failing. I just focus on keeping my INR in range and getting on with living.

I remember getting in an elevator one time and watching other people look very inquisitively at me. It was even more because I was not even wearing a watch and that only added to their curiosity! :)

Happy ticking!

Protimenow

To answer your question I would expect no

I believe these things are quite reliable. They are a simple machine in a low stress environment, and one that is constant in terms of humidity and temperature.

There have been very few failures over time, so breath easy. Something else is way more likely to kill you first.

Enjoy each day as it is. We here should know more than any the facts that every day is for us a bonus. The perfectly healthy may in fact only appear to be healthy. Cancer is a far worse time bomb and that doesn't tick. My father went through radio and significant pain and debilitation for some time with the cancer in his spine. If my valve fails it'll be over in minutes.

I know which I would prefer.

There have been very few failures over time, so breath easy. Something else is way more likely to kill you first.

For a long time after surgery I was sure that the "ball" in my valve would get stuck in either the "open" or "closed" position and I would die....and there was no way you could have convinced me that the valve could last as long as it has......about 1-1/2 billion, with a B, beats. Like pelllicle says "something else is way more likely to kill you first". I am now 99% sure that he is right.

No, I'm not worried about it failing.

My daughter has sensitive ears. Years ago, when she was young (and I was younger), we played Hide and Seek. She was able to hear me through a closed door.

On Saturday, she and I were lifting a 95 pound Television -- a lot of effort for both of us. She heard my ticking and realized that my heart rate was higher than usual. I don't know if she would have heard it if we weren't exerting so much effort.

(She's an LVN, so she is sensitive to such signs).

As far as time bomb -- the makers of the St. Jude talk about the valves being good for 40 or 50 years (I forget which). It's a simple mechanism, and has been ticking away for hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of people. I don't lose any sleep over it -- I just wanted to ask about how we valvers perceive it.

When I told my cardio that my ticking time bomb was keeping me awake, waking me up, and otherwise driving me batty, he said something along the lines of 'toughen up princess' and that if I ever heard any change in the sound I was to get to the hospital immediately . . .

So maybe if I grow a bacterial zoo on this one it will sound less 'ticky' ???

My office has a ticking clock and it's just slightly faster than my heart rate, which can get mighty annoying when I'm trying to concentrate as I hear both sets of ticking quite well!!!

... and that if I ever heard any change in the sound I was to get to the hospital immediately . . .

I am under the impression my valve sounds different when my blood pressure goes above 130 ... normally its 120/75

Certainly the sound has changed with the progression of my infection

A few years ago, I got a cheap, mechanical, Mickey Mouse watch. It was very loud. Until I told my wife that I was wearing a cheap watch, she was very concerned about my heart rate.

Even before that, I was at a press conference, sitting in a row behind one journalist with especially sensitive hearing. He kept looking behind him, and finally had to ask 'who's wearing the cheap watch?' When I said 'it's my heart valve that's ticking,' it shut him right up (and probably shamed him a bit, too)

Also bear in mind that as we get older, our high-frequency hearing diminishes. We are less likely to hear the high-pitched valve than our children or grandchildren. Age may, in fact, have its benefits. . .

I recall being in college during a test. A girl sitting behind me tapped my on the back and asked if I was wearing a really loud watch. I then learned that my fairly new (at the time) ticker was a nice conversation starter, and felt better about it.

Yes, high frequency hearing does diminish (although, in many cases, it still seems to be hanging on fairly well in my old ears). Perhaps my ringing covers the ticks.

I think, though, that at some point, we are finally able to tune it out.

Also bear in mind that as we get older, our high-frequency hearing diminishes. We are less likely to hear the high-pitched valve than our children or grandchildren. Age may, in fact, have its benefits. . .

Gee it doesn't click that high :)

Mine is more a drum thumper rather than a ticking. A mate in a quiet room thought at first it was a distant car stereo :)

Pellicle - Just how large is that valve of yours? The few St. Jude valves I've heard all sounded like pocket watches!

I think its related to other stuff like adhesions and scar tissue from the earlier operations.

I have been able to record it with my small pocket recorder. Even at 20cm from my chest.

I have found that if I am standing in a crowded elevator, or with some people in a quiet area, they can hear it.
Also, if I open my mouth as if yawning, it amplifies the sound. This is fun to do at times, and I get a kick out looking at some of the peoples expressions.

Latest posts

Back