Ticking sound changes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greg H.

I have a concern that has bothered me for the past couple of months. I had an AVR on 10/26/00. The replacement valve was a ST. Judes mechanical (no Silzone). Right after the surgery, the ticking sound was very strong. After a few months, I noticed that the sound varied. Sometimes a double tick could be heard, as if the valve ticked when it opened and when it closed. I have also heard some slushing sounds instead of the tick. Other times, the ticking is loud(normal). I asked my cardiologist and he said that it was probably caused by changes in body position and the way the sound travels through my body. A recent echo showed no problems with the valve. Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon? Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the new site. I also have a St Judes AVR 3/23/00

I have noticed similar observations, but wonder if it just may be that I have gotten used to my clicking and ticking. It was a whole new sounds at first. I even had to go out and purhcase a sound machine so that I could fall asleep at night. I no longer need it because I have grown so accustomed to the clicking.

All that said, I do think that the clicking sounds different than it did a year ago. My annual exam showed me that everything is fine.

Click'n and a Tick'n in Nashville,

Rob

Valve Ticking

Valve Ticking

I had an aortic root/arch/valve replacement 11-4-99 and I have noticed that there are times when my valve "pounds" away and other times when it is fairly quiet. It is most loud at night or at least so it seems.

My cardio said that in all his years as a DR he has never heard a valve as loud as mine.

I would not concern myself too much about the changes.....just as long as your echo doesn't reveal any problems.

If this loudness is new I would get an echo to be on the safe side.

Welcome to our Group!

Hi Greg

Sounds like you may be describing a PAC's "double click". Premature atrial contractions, ie...irregular beat. They are not life
threatening. Had this problem for the first year and a half. It was not always detectable during an exam. They finally found the proper medication and I no longer have them.

Ok, this is going to sound strange......when my INR is a bit off "high" my valve sounds crisper. Like it is lubricated better. It took me almost two years to figure this one out. Have a Medtronic Hall Mitral.

Happy clicking :p
Regards,

Hey Greg,

You should hear my valve. I beats every kind of wierd you can think of! No joke. double beats, missed beats, hard beats soft beats, all kinds of strange stuff. It's no fault of the valve though.. just my wacko heart doing its thing.

The valve clicks REALLY loud sometimes... and other times I can barely hear it. I've got used to it, but when it's beating really loud and really wierd at the same time.. its a little scarey.

Happy clicking :)

Rain

Rain

Rain

Can definitely attest to Rain's comment about her heart making all sorts of "weird" beats. Had the pleasure in San Antonio. It is really strange to hear someone else's valve clicking.

First time.... ironically was my neighbor. Both had no idea we had prosthetic valve! I heard hers after she had been taking a brisk walk around the block and stopped by. She almost fell over when I said I heard it and had one myself!

In SAT I was overwhelmed when we were all togther. Could hear them all. Especailly the "bangers" Bob and Dick. There rythum was the same... most likley due to Dacron??

Without that happy click, not matter what the rhythm we have life!

Click on!
:D

Janie, skipped beats

Janie, skipped beats

Yep, Janie. Even in a person with a "structurally normal" heart.....skipped beats and other arrhythmia's occur and most often than not go copletly undetected. Some people are not even aware they are in A-fib! They may not be as bothered or need treatment, but it's present. Some of us got the short end of the stick. Oh well, we are alive and kicking. That's the important part.

Re: ticking St. Jude bileaflet

Re: ticking St. Jude bileaflet

My mitral valve was quite loud at first too. My wife could hear it when we were in bed. Now it is almost inaudible and doesn't bother either of us. My cardiologist says it sounds great- much better than the grade 4 machinery murmur noted before surgery.
Why do they quiet down? Not sure. If I find out anything I will post.

Back